ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Edison base fitting - 06/06/04 11:46 PM
Not sure if this will wind up in Electrical Nostalgia or just Pics Submitted for discussion - I leave it to your discretion! [Linked Image]

Found this one while I was doing some pre-sale "code compliance" work around a former police officer's house. You know, GFCI and smoke detector installation type stuff. Seems the guy he bought the house from 20+ years ago was obtaining things from somewhere when he built the house in the 50's. The whole garage was done in a hybrid of RMC and EMT, with mega-godzilla quality fittings. It's got a real "piece from here, piece from there" feel - very few parts of this garage's conduitry seemed "made-to-order".

The best I can figure, this is a Crouse - Hinds Explosion Proof (or really raintight) Edison base fitting. Not sure if it's for a fuse, or if it's a power tap of sorts. Yes, it is gasketed, and yes, I did manage to liberate it for the collection!

Picture 1 is with the cover closed, and pic 2 is with it open.

Sorry for the low-res... it's a camera phone.

Have a good weekend,

Doug W
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Edison base fitting - 06/07/04 03:47 PM
I can honestly say, I never knew anything like this existed! A hazloc edison base socket! What'll they come up with next? [Linked Image]

Good fing there Doug! [Linked Image]

-Randy
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Edison base fitting - 06/07/04 07:43 PM
Losta — It is possible the pictured device was intended for early “ship-to-shore” marine applications, but the thought of a fabric-covered, unsheathed [NEC type PD] 2-wire {groundless} twisted-pair cord across a dock would be close to foreordained death.

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 06-07-2004).]
Posted By: electure Re: Edison base fitting - 06/08/04 11:28 AM
Boy, Bjarney,
That patina sure does look like it's seen some ocean duty.
Perhaps a fuse on a boat/ship??
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Edison base fitting - 06/08/04 05:20 PM
Bjarney,
That put one heck of a scary picture in my mind! [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] A turn of the century boat power inlet!.. I dunno if Crouse-Hinds was around back then.. [Linked Image] I'm curious if this was originally meant for sea or possibly an old refinery or even one of the "island" oil pumping rigs out off the coast of a few places... here included!

-Randy
Posted By: DougW Re: Edison base fitting - 06/09/04 03:26 AM
I'll see if I can find a P/N on it somewhere... I knew it was weird when I spotted it.

Like I originally posted... this guy (the original owner/builder) had some weird stuff! The only thing I could think of was "cast offs" from his workplace...
© ECN Electrical Forums