ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Homemade Dimmer Switch - 05/17/04 01:54 AM
I found this in a friends house a three way lamp was plugged into it. It works and is wired right But this is probably a violation.

- Peter
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Homemade Dimmer Switch - 05/17/04 05:06 PM
404.14(E) Dimmer Switches. General-use dimmer switches shall be used only to control permanently installed incandescent luminaires (lighting fixtures) unless listed for the control of other loads and installed accordingly.
Posted By: n1ist Re: Homemade Dimmer Switch - 05/18/04 12:09 AM
This probably has a plug on the other end of the zip cord. In that case, does NEC apply?
/mike
Posted By: ComputerWizKid Re: Homemade Dimmer Switch - 05/18/04 01:35 PM
Hi I'm Peter,
Yes it does have a plug on the other end.
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Homemade Dimmer Switch - 05/18/04 06:58 PM
I don't understand, why not get one of those plug-in table top dimmers where you plug it into the wall, plug the lamp into the through-tap and there's a cord with a dimmer switch at the end?

Alternatively, you can get a dimmer switch that attaches to the lamp's cord like a regular on-cord switch, except that instead of a rocker, it has a knob that you turn with your thumb.

Either of the above solutions would have been simpler, cheaper and safer than this kludge that Peter shows us. [Linked Image]

EDIT: Also, those boxes are not listed for that type of portable application. The metal ones have knockouts that can break off and the plastic boxes will shatter like a phonograph record if dropped on the floor, kicked or banged.

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 05-18-2004).]
Posted By: BigJohn Re: Homemade Dimmer Switch - 05/18/04 10:18 PM
I definitely agree with the issues concerning durability, and I don't like the idea of this thing getting knocked around by that piece of zip-cord with no gromets or strain-relief to speak of.

But on the plus side, at least they had sense enough not to use a grounding-type receptacle and what appears to be heavier-than-normal 16 gauge lamp cord...

It's pretty bad when I look at something like this and think: "Well, it could be worse...." [Linked Image]

-John
Posted By: MattE Re: Homemade Dimmer Switch - 05/23/04 12:18 AM
that looks like a new ungrounded receptacle... why would they still make these? [Linked Image]
Posted By: sparked Re: Homemade Dimmer Switch - 05/23/04 12:35 AM
Matt,
Ungrounded receptacles are still made for situations where there is an existing ungrounded receptacle needing replacement. Instead of replacing the receptacle with a GFCI, you can use one of these. However... they are sold at "home centers" and the last time I looked, El Cheapo outlets from the big bin were about 40ยข, while these cost over $1.50. It's likely that the NEMA 5-15 outlets are used with nothing connected to the ground, instead of using these 1-15's
Edited because im in YIM mode and abbreviate everything

[This message has been edited by sparked (edited 05-22-2004).]
Posted By: MattE Re: Homemade Dimmer Switch - 05/23/04 05:47 AM
ah i c... makes sense to me [Linked Image]... i've just never seen these before in any hardware stores.

[This message has been edited by MattE (edited 05-23-2004).]
© ECN Electrical Forums