ECN Forum
Posted By: iwire Gas Station Ice Machine - 04/23/04 11:16 PM
All I can say is this was out in the pouring rain, no GFCI and questionable if it is grounded.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 04-23-2004).]
Posted By: George Corron Re: Gas Station Ice Machine - 04/24/04 12:32 AM
HEY!!!! I do believe that is "self grounding" duct tape. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Gas Station Ice Machine - 04/24/04 02:59 AM
The self-grounding duct-tape only works without the plastic bushing! [Linked Image]

-Randy
Posted By: electure Re: Gas Station Ice Machine - 04/25/04 12:13 PM
Bob,
How far away from the dispensers are these?
Posted By: iwire Re: Gas Station Ice Machine - 04/25/04 01:23 PM
Good question and I did not even think of that.

This is a typical self serve place with a large awning covering the pumps and a small cash booth in the center.

This ice machine is on the back side of the cash booth.

The closest pumps are no more than 15' from this piece of junk.

The outlet is about 48" above grade.

Bob

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 04-25-2004).]
Posted By: stamcon Re: Gas Station Ice Machine - 04/25/04 03:55 PM
Well, at least the ground is up. [Linked Image]

steve
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Gas Station Ice Machine - 04/25/04 04:27 PM
The recptacle might be 48" above grade, but I hope there are no electrical apparatus in the machine less than 18" above grade...spooky stuff.
Posted By: electure Re: Gas Station Ice Machine - 04/25/04 09:27 PM
There's one by our office that is only about 3' from the dispenser. It's disturbing to see stuff like this.
Most of the soda machines here have the refrigeration mounted in the bottom area.
The thermal protector (Klixon), strapped right to the compressor, is a source of arcing.
Posted By: frenchelectrican Re: Gas Station Ice Machine - 04/26/04 12:53 AM
unfortealy i did see few in my area and i am not too keen with it and one gas station have one outlet is 24 inch above the finshed grade and no gfci device in there.

That kind of set up is kinda rare in state of wisconsin but it do happend here also.

but only thing it do bother me one bit i did read the art. 514 [ 96 NEC ] that the gas pump dispisper device have 18 inches side of the pump but before you start yelling at me for a sec. but what if the gas pump dispaisner do have " bumper guard island " like raised cement island and about like 24 inches [typically] and some place i did see some gas station actally put a vending machine right above the "island " and i am not too keen with that and if any you have most recent version about the art.514 and somekind of map of where the class 1 div 2 do cover i have old map with me but i dont know if they did change it over the time?

and if any repectailes are there , if so are they must be gfci [ yeah i belive they do but what height and distance from the pump ??]

merci, marc

i hope i can find some answer here.
Posted By: electure Re: Gas Station Ice Machine - 04/26/04 11:46 AM
Marc, Is this what you're looking for?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: frenchelectrican Re: Gas Station Ice Machine - 04/26/04 08:29 PM
yes . that is the map i am talking about the gas pump units and now just stop there for a sec and look at the map and just image it if the ends of the "islands" have raised concrete gaurd[s] like about 24 inches above the ground just right above the classifed area and put a vending machine right top of it and put a repectale on the island post which it is away from the pumping devices .

i will try to figure out how to draw this to get more clear idea how it can happend ,

thanks electure, for providing the map and i can see they haven't change the classifed area at all

merci, marc
© ECN Electrical Forums