ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin When Handymen Attack? - 04/15/04 10:22 PM
Had breakfast in a coffee shop this morning and saw this out the window. Sorry the quality is a bit poor, but I used a camera phone, through the window while stretching my arm behind me to get the right angle. This is a sprinkler timer with PVC running down to the dirt. On the right end there was a 1/2" nipple with what appeared to be 3 12AWG leading to some sort of crimp or possibly stab in connectors connected to a 3 wire appliance cord. The cord was in turn plugged into the extension cord and then ran through the emergency exit door (looked to be pinched in the jamb). It looks like the handyman fixed it good.

CaOperator
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Megawatt Re: When Handymen Attack? - 04/16/04 05:08 AM
A "Jack of all trades" I would guess...not much of a detective though, looks to me a receptacle is located just below the timer...needs an "In Use" cover, but if He couldn't find the recept. He probably wouldn't have a clue about anything else.

[This message has been edited by Megawatt (edited 04-16-2004).]
Posted By: electure Re: When Handymen Attack? - 04/16/04 11:08 AM
"Handy"-man must be a misnomer...S
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: When Handymen Attack? - 04/17/04 03:06 AM
Of all the things I come across "hack-wired", sprinkler timers are in the top 5! [Linked Image] I think the gardners do the hookups themselves more times than not...

I'm making a wild guess that the wp recept next to the timer stopped working for one reason or another... & somebody decided paying for an electrician to troubleshoot it was out of the question when theres a handy extension cord!.

-Randy
BTW.. $1 says its a "push & pray" connected Leviton with a corrosion issue.. [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums