ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Abandoned? - 01/30/04 04:04 AM
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I'm not a member of the site, but I wanted to submit these for discussion.

I went to this abandoned(?) house to test for lead/asbestos, and this is the first thing that caught my eye.

These have been rusted badly that the breakers are non-opreational. I checked for service - dead. No cable from the pole (good thing)

The second picture scared me more than the first one.

-Joe
Posted By: pauluk Re: Abandoned? - 01/30/04 12:36 PM
That second pic looks just like many of the old storage sheds found in this area, often associated with farmyards. You really need coveralls and gloves before venturing into them, as you never really know what you're going to find.
Posted By: mamills Re: Abandoned? - 01/30/04 04:15 PM
My wife's grandmother had a tornado shelter that looked very much like this, buried in the ground behind her house in north Texas. She was always afraid to use it because it was so appealing to snakes.

I think I'd rather take my chances on top of the ground with the tornado [Linked Image]!

The panel looks sorta like an old Cutler Hammer "SafetyBreaker" model...and a Nema 1 at that... [Linked Image]

Mike (mamills)
Posted By: strangedog Re: Abandoned? - 02/02/04 02:46 PM
Be carefull when you plug in the dryer not to pull loose those flying splices above. Not only will you get a pretty light show, you could win a pine box as well.

SD
Posted By: Mean Gene Re: Abandoned? - 02/02/04 09:00 PM
Is that really what that is, just outside and above the door in the second picture, a dryer receptacle with two 12/2 romex coming out of it ??? [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Mean Gene (edited 02-03-2004).]
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Abandoned? - 02/03/04 12:54 AM
It sure looks like the surface-mount type hi-amp receptacles I've seen used for stoves and dryers.

Is that a lake of water I see on the basement floor? When are they coming to pick up the washing machine they left behind? [Linked Image]
Posted By: sparked Re: Abandoned? - 02/03/04 11:10 PM
umm. I guess im slow... I dont see anything scary in that second pic? [Linked Image]
Posted By: ComputerWizKid Re: Abandoned? - 02/04/04 11:43 PM
umm. I guess im slow... I dont see anything scary in that second pic?
Me either?
Posted By: electure Re: Abandoned? - 02/05/04 01:36 AM
Take a look at the "doorstop" [Linked Image]
Is that a 30 or 50 amp recepactle hangin' from 2 wires, or do my (crappy) eyes deceive me?
Posted By: strangedog Re: Abandoned? - 02/05/04 04:55 PM
In the upper right corner of the second pic is a surface mount dryer plug hanging from the wires. The face is turned away, but if you look closly, you can see the cable clamp and the mounting holes. My guess is that is the dryer in the picture. Just plug it in and go! [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by strangedog (edited 02-05-2004).]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Abandoned? - 02/06/04 02:03 PM
Sven,
I think that that's a piece of aluminium foil in front of the dryer.
Strangedog,
My guess is that is the dryer in the picture. Just plug it in and go!

More like plug it in and run!. [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums