ECN Forum
Posted By: electure Apology to Drywallers - 01/08/04 03:01 AM
OK, so you can cut neat holes around electrical equipment:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]...S
Posted By: DougW Re: Apology to Drywallers - 01/08/04 05:55 AM
I was going to come up with some wise aleck comment... but I can't even start.
Posted By: Mean Gene Re: Apology to Drywallers - 01/08/04 07:03 PM
That takes the cake. Hard to top that one! [Linked Image]
Posted By: smokeeater 38 Re: Apology to Drywallers - 01/09/04 07:53 PM
Just use a little caulk. [Linked Image]
Posted By: NJwirenut Re: Apology to Drywallers - 01/09/04 08:53 PM
At first glance, it looked like a couple runs of conduit penetrating the wall...

But on closer examination, it appears to be a twin-tube fluorescent fixture! Is that what I'm seeing here?
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Apology to Drywallers - 01/09/04 10:02 PM
HOLY CRIPE!!!!!

You're right, dude! I also thought it was a wiring tray and two pipes.

On a slightly related note. There is a subway station I've been where they put a layer of block and then tile over the existing wall. This effectively brought out the wall to where it met one of the old-time single lightbulb lampholders in the ceiling.

Not to be deterred, the ingenious masons simply left a part of block (or brick) out of the wall and the tile guys framed around it. The hole where half the bulb is stuck in is about the size of a standard square tile -- 4" x 4" I believe.

So now the lampholder and bulb are in a sort of of a "niche". Sigh.....

All hail Saint Lightbulb!! [Linked Image]
Posted By: electure Re: Apology to Drywallers - 01/11/04 12:27 PM
Yes, it's an 8' strip fixture.

This is in a large drywall supply company's warehouse, which probably explains why the drywall work is so "state of the art". [Linked Image]...S
Posted By: jdevlin Re: Apology to Drywallers - 01/13/04 11:54 PM
The fact that there is only a hole in the drywall and no patching above would indicate the drywall may have been there first. The fixture would have had to be pushed though the hole.
Posted By: wa2ise Re: Apology to Drywallers - 01/14/04 01:04 AM
jdevlin, the wall looks to have been painted, judging from what looks like stray paint on the florescent tubes. The paint may be covering some well done joint patching.
Posted By: jdevlin Re: Apology to Drywallers - 01/17/04 08:46 PM
Could be. I was looking at the shape of the hole and it looks like one piece of drywall to me with the sort of rounded corners.
Posted By: sparky Re: Apology to Drywallers - 01/17/04 09:03 PM
heh~ so we're off to art 410 jdevlin ?

~S~
Posted By: electure Re: Apology to Drywallers - 01/18/04 03:23 PM
Sparky's probably the best qualified among us to answer the question "Which came first, the chicken or the egg?" [Linked Image]

This was a continuous row of 8', 2 lamp, T12 strip fixtures. It had been up for at least 25 years when the new wall was put up, and the "neat" drywallers did their thing...S
© ECN Electrical Forums