ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Care for a Dip? - 12/31/03 02:31 AM
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Care for a swim?

your average pool pump motor here, temporarily made to one of the many x-cords on the job so the kids can take a dip...no gfi....no bonding...no worries....

Steve aka sparky
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Care for a Dip? - 12/31/03 03:28 AM
But the surge suppressor has a fuse in it, right?
Posted By: crash Re: Care for a Dip? - 12/31/03 03:49 AM
Sure! A fuse is what protects everyone (in a miraculous manor) from every conceivable electrical fault.
Posted By: crash Re: Care for a Dip? - 12/31/03 04:00 AM
Please pardon my sarcasm, I've heard too many people say "Its protected by a fuse, what could possibly go wrong"
Posted By: pauluk Re: Care for a Dip? - 12/31/03 12:22 PM
Another quality installation..... [Linked Image]

"Its protected by a fuse, what could possibly go wrong"
I don't doubt that the primary feed to the electric chair is also protected by a fuse! [Linked Image]
Posted By: Mean Gene Re: Care for a Dip? - 12/31/03 05:11 PM
Yes, Paul! That's is exactly what we need. Someone needs to start a thread about the wiring/feeding/currents of the electric chairs in use today. Why don't you start one in an appropriate group? I'd bet most would find it fascinating.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Care for a Dip? - 12/31/03 07:41 PM
Mean Gene,
There was a thread about this very subject (Electric chairs)posted in the Non-US Area a wee while back. [Linked Image]
Posted By: :andy: Re: Care for a Dip? - 12/31/03 07:46 PM
is that a plug transformer with broken housing on the right?
Posted By: Mean Gene Re: Care for a Dip? - 12/31/03 08:07 PM
Trumpy:

Thanks! I going to look for it right now. I'm sorry to admit I never look in that group, assuming I'll never find anything of interest to me there. You just taught me a valuable lesson my friend! [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Care for a Dip? - 12/31/03 08:13 PM
Andy, some "wall warts" (normally the AC-to-AC ones only; essentially a stepdown trafo without the rectifier & filter assembly for converting to DC) have a pair of screw terminals to attach wire to them.

These are commonly used for alarm installations and sometimes come with a little tab on the opposite end so you can put the wall plate screw for a duplex American recptacle through them and that way they remain plugged in permanently (permanent in the sense that you need to first undo the cover plate screw before you can pull the plug).

The AC-to-DC (trafo with rectifier & filters) and most other AC-to-AC warts for consumer equipment have a hard-wired cord going through a strain relief bushing.

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 12-31-2003).]
Posted By: electricman2 Re: Care for a Dip? - 12/31/03 10:28 PM
What is the white wire attached to the pump cord with tie wraps?
Posted By: sparky Re: Care for a Dip? - 01/01/04 01:55 PM
What is the white wire attached to the pump cord with tie wraps?

comes from that small x-former connected to the strip electricman2, i belive it serves a chlorination device....

when i first arrived at this job the pool had been set (it is inground , and indoors)
into a basement foundation.

the walls of which were approx 10' high.

the best i could do for bonding was to hit the rebar up @ 10' before the next pour stage, and place an additional circle around the pool before the tile guy came (however this is not bonded to anything as the crete was set)

the wet nitch was run in 3/4" pvc w/ plumbing elbows and remains unbonded...

the next time i showed up, the kids were swimming in it...the house is 1/2 done and occupied (we have no OC here)by a few of the owners teenagers

the list of potentials is quite long, yet i felt the pool took the cake...

i've beat feet to bond this back to the motor as best i could, then fed it via GFI breaker to GFI (lockout) receptacle

lack of oversight can really be nerve-racking at times...
~S~
© ECN Electrical Forums