ECN Forum
Posted By: electure Screaming for help - 12/23/03 01:13 PM
Help!!
I'm being held captive by the "Evil Drywaller" and his henchman "The Painter"

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ComputerWizKid Re: Screaming for help - 12/23/03 01:41 PM
WOW! never seen one that bad :eek . I hate painted over outlets. espesly when you have to crack out all the paint to plug something in.
Posted By: Jim M Re: Screaming for help - 12/23/03 04:16 PM
Some people take filling the gap around boxes just a little too far.
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Screaming for help - 12/23/03 04:38 PM
Now the mystery will be, is the receptacle in a box or was it just directly buried in the plaster? [Linked Image]
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Screaming for help - 12/23/03 05:37 PM
Errrm, let me guess! No cover plate but all papered over and then painted over the wallpaper? Think I've occasionally seen that method.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Screaming for help - 12/23/03 06:35 PM
Is this a California thing?

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: electricman2 Re: Screaming for help - 12/23/03 06:59 PM
Maybe it's cheaper than buying wall plates.
Posted By: Mean Gene Re: Screaming for help - 12/23/03 08:11 PM
Boy, I'd be scared to death plug anything into that! [Linked Image]
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Screaming for help - 12/23/03 09:15 PM
Yeah, the wall may just swallow up your plug, cord, appliance and then go

BUUUURRRRRPPPP!! [Linked Image]
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Screaming for help - 12/24/03 01:33 AM
Carefull—people are going to start demanding 'em
Posted By: smokeeater 38 Re: Screaming for help - 01/05/04 07:32 PM
I just hate those unsightly outlets is there anything you can do to hide them? [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by smokeeater 38 (edited 01-05-2004).]
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Screaming for help - 01/06/04 03:11 AM
Should the ground sockets be at the top, instead of the bottom?

(Ducking, and running for cover...)
Posted By: John Steinke Re: Screaming for help - 01/12/04 09:45 PM
When I install devices before the finish work is done, I cover them with masking tape. Many painters and sheetrock/wall texture people use spray equipment.
Posted By: DougW Re: Screaming for help - 01/13/04 10:03 PM
Snotty homeowner more concerned with appearance than safety:

"Can't you do something to hide that icky outlet?
Posted By: Gus1999 Re: Screaming for help - 01/16/04 08:28 PM
Let's finish it nicely covering the screw hole and call it "Decora Series 2".
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: Screaming for help - 01/17/04 02:45 PM
"Can't you do something to hide that icky outlet?

That's exactly what Home Depot sells their translucent "PaperIt" wall plates for.
Here in Europe I've seen old rotary switches and outlets with real clear glass wallplates. I think modern versions of those are still sold for a scary price. Especially the old receptacles looked good. They were of the ungrounded round-pin variety and only had 1/2" round plastic covers around the pin holes, everything else was glass with wallpaper behind. They also incorporated a 1 or 2A fuse (though links up to 10A were available).
Posted By: Admin Re: Screaming for help - 02/13/04 03:13 AM
[Linked Image]
Is it just me, or does anybody else have a problem with this product?
CaOperator
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Screaming for help - 02/13/04 03:51 AM
I saw the problem right away.

The ground should be up.

[This message has been edited by ThinkGood (edited 02-12-2004).]
Posted By: Jps1006 Re: Screaming for help - 02/13/04 04:05 AM
Thinkgood,

Could you point me to the past discussion about which way the ground goes? I'm pretty new here and I wouldn't know where to start looking.
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Screaming for help - 02/13/04 04:56 AM
Yes. I see a big problem. You can't insert a plug into it because the contact holes were "photo-shopped" in. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

But seriously....there is (or was) one manufacturer who incorporates the socket and/or switch "mechanism" into the wallplate, so that you wire the entire thing up and then attach it to the wall box. Of course if the plate shatters you have to swap out the entire thing.

It's a Colombian company - the logo I've seen embossed on their products is something like EXE but haven't been able to find anything on the Internet about them.

Three years ago I brought home one of their surface mount receptacles but wasn't able to find the standard flush-mount sockets anywhere. If I ever go back I'll continue my "hunt". [Linked Image]
Posted By: Mean Gene Re: Screaming for help - 02/13/04 04:42 PM
Jps1006,

I believe it's been discussed/argued several times here, but this is the only one I could find easily . . .
https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum1/HTML/000057.html
Posted By: sparked Re: Screaming for help - 02/13/04 06:40 PM
Actually Sven, that is a real product. They're called Masque Wall Plates I think. Notice the warning at the bottom of the bag.... well I'm sure someone would try if that wasnt there. I dont trust them for soome reason, but I'm really not sure why... [Linked Image]
Posted By: Boppy Re: Screaming for help - 02/13/04 06:44 PM
Two thoughts from me. I remember and old inspector saying the ground should be the first to make and the last to break. If the ground prong is up the ground can disconnect before the hot and neutral. Thats why it goes down. Gravity being what it is. Second how many apliance today have grounds on them so the point of the ground protecting seem to be mute. Just my 2 cents.
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Screaming for help - 02/13/04 09:12 PM
Sparked,

Seriously? My bad then... [Linked Image]

I don't like them either. My issue would be that the plug's pins wouldn't be going the entire way into the socket.

*EDITED TO REMOVE ASCII ART BECAUSE IT DOESN'T COME OUT WELL WHEN YOU USE VARIABLE WIDTH FONTS* (Sven)

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 02-14-2004).]
Posted By: CaOperator Re: Screaming for help - 02/14/04 05:23 AM
Right the first time sparked! I only wish I had photoshopped the holes in. Some consumer (read sucker) will probably think these things are great and plug his space heater in one hole, and the outlet strip in the other. The shallow prong penetration is what bothered me too, and the thought of dust/debris building up between the cover and the receptacle is disturbing.

But as for the ground pin question...

[Linked Image from whisperscorner.com]

The real question is right or left? [Linked Image]
Posted By: electure Re: Screaming for help - 02/14/04 01:55 PM
LOL,
I saw this product at the ElectricWest show, and got a free t-shirt.
Their website isn't up yet, but it looks like they've got it under control!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]...S
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Screaming for help - 02/24/04 02:39 AM
My old apartment was ½ done with those Masque things... The maintenance crews were in the process of changing the prehistoric Slater backwires out to Decora's when the Home Depot a block from there imported what I can honestly say, isn't the greatest idea... I looked behind some of them & found the original recept with the prong holes nice & gray from overheating... But hey, they "look" good... (Till they melt) I'm kinda suprised to find a UL listing on those as well, since they do inhibit full insertion into a wall recept...
© ECN Electrical Forums