ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Chewed up Romex - 12/19/03 04:53 AM
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
I was on a service call for an intermittently-working set of duplex receptacles. After removing the cover and pulling out the receptacles, and after pulling my jaw from the floor, I reached for my camera took these pictures. I shouldn't be shocked (no pun intended) to see this kind of work anymore, but this box is located in a child's bedroom which really disturbs me. I will also note that the wire nut connecting the ungrounded conductors was on loose and each of the wires had the ability to move freely.

Electric-Ian
Posted By: crash Re: Chewed up Romex - 12/19/03 05:09 AM
He didn't use enough Duct Tape?
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Chewed up Romex - 12/19/03 05:35 AM
Amazing. And what's even more significant is that there appears to be no sign of scorching.

How does chewed up NM cable like this get fixed when pulling a new cable and/or cutting back the damaged section is not an option?

Do you just find heat-shrink tubing that's big enough to fit over the cable jacket or do you wrap that whole sucker up with insulating tape? What if the underlying conductor insulation is also chewed up?

*CRINGE*
Posted By: stamcon Re: Chewed up Romex - 12/19/03 08:37 AM
The black jumper wire between the receptacles is wrapped the wrong way around the screw or is it a continous wire that loops around the screw? The cut NM appears to be an extra cable, as does the NM with the writing on the sheath. The right side of pic #3 shows RotoZip cut in the box. Is this what caused the cut in the NM? I also don't see any sheath in the box from the NM with the loose red wire nut(or a ground unless it's hiding behind the grounded cond.).

steve

[This message has been edited by stamcon (edited 12-19-2003).]
Posted By: Electric-Ian Re: Chewed up Romex - 12/19/03 01:43 PM
Stamcon (Steve):

You're right; the black jumper wire between the receptacles is wrapped the wrong way around the screw. That wire was not continuous, but the ground wire was. The neutral was also continuous.

I am unsure of the Rotozip casualty in the box... it is a nail-on, not an old-work box, so you'd think the sheetrocker (or DIY) would've cut the hole out ahead of time???

Finally, you're also correct in your observation that the NM with the loose red wire nut has no sheath inside the box. I pulled everything out the best I could and shined my light where the wires entered the box and could see no evidence of a sheath. Eeeek!
Posted By: mamills Re: Chewed up Romex - 12/19/03 02:56 PM
Since the chewed jacket/insulation goes all the way down to the conductor itself in several places, I wonder if the conductor itself is nicked or damaged?

...Hate those "push and pray" connectors on receptacles and switches. [Linked Image]

Mike (mamills)
Posted By: sparked Re: Chewed up Romex - 12/19/03 06:21 PM
also looks like the carlon box suffered from rotozip-itis
Posted By: sparked Re: Chewed up Romex - 12/19/03 06:23 PM
oops stamcom i daidnt fully read your post.. sorry [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparked (edited 12-19-2003).]
Posted By: electricman2 Re: Chewed up Romex - 12/20/03 12:39 AM
Just when you think you have seen it all. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Attic Rat Re: Chewed up Romex - 12/21/03 02:50 AM
...Hate those "push and pray" connectors on receptacles and switches.
I can't stand those back-stabbed receptacles...in my opinion,it should be a violation..the contact made with that is horrible,and if you lose a neutral because of one of them,you pull your hair out trying to find the offending receptacle...I realize this is a bit off topic,but I had to rant...I feel much better now,...thanx!!

[This message has been edited by Attic Rat (edited 12-20-2003).]
Posted By: nesparky Re: Chewed up Romex - 12/22/03 05:18 AM
I see wiring cut up and chewed on by rotozips all the time. When it comes to trim out time, I give the drywaller the option of they removing the walls so I can replace (at a extra) the damaged wiring or i will use a hammer or ax to open the wall back up. This is nothing more than an example of other trades destroying your work.

[This message has been edited by nesparky (edited 12-29-2003).]

[This message has been edited by nesparky (edited 12-29-2003).]
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Chewed up Romex - 12/23/03 06:07 PM
Ian, so how did you fix it? Did you take "after" shots? Would be interested in seeing. [Linked Image]
Posted By: rizer Re: Chewed up Romex - 01/07/04 09:39 PM
todays drywall men put a small pencil mark in the general area of the box and apply the sheetrock. they come back later and butcher the box with there rotozip 'till they encounter the edge of it and then cut around the box. i agree with the hammer and axe method of fixing it.note the right side interior of box! pic 3 of 4
Posted By: derater Re: Chewed up Romex - 01/09/04 12:54 AM
I've threatened 'rockers with snapping their roto-zip in half and buying them new ones IF I find NO hack jobs on my NM. The roto is the #1 reason I leave 6-8" of NM looped behind the boxes.
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: Chewed up Romex - 07/10/05 02:28 PM
" quote:...Hate those "push and pray" connectors on receptacles and switches.

I can't stand those back-stabbed receptacles...in my opinion,it should be a violation"

Than you guys don't want to work in my house...
Posted By: John Crighton Re: Chewed up Romex - 07/11/05 06:06 PM
I can't quite figure out what I'm looking at here.

My first thought was that there was just way too much sheath in the box, but then I realized that neither of those cables is actually terminated! Were they hot?

And, is that even a cable sneaking in at the lower left, or is it just a pair of wires? There's no sheath at all, and I don't see a grounding conductor (unless it's hidden in the shadow). They don't meet the 6" length requirement, that's for sure.

I know you said the black wire wasn't looped, but it sure looks like it was -- otherwise why the yellow wirenuts?

It's just frightening to think how much stuff like this is hidden away like a ticking time bomb.

(p.s. I just noticed that this was originally posted a year and a half ago... Ignore the questions.)

[This message has been edited by John Crighton (edited 07-11-2005).]
Posted By: trollog Re: Chewed up Romex - 07/13/05 02:38 AM
theres nothing more satisfying than the look on the drywaller's face when he sees a hammer used on the drywall instead of a keyhole saw [Linked Image] I once had to fix something similar and made extra sure I hammered out ~8" into the ceiling, for good measure. Although, payback, as they say, is a "female dog".. got nothing but solidly mudded boxes on the rest of the job after that..
© ECN Electrical Forums