ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Unusual Light Setup - 11/14/03 11:13 PM
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
These light posts are a recent installation. There are a couple dozen or so all done this way. Yes that is copper tubing.

- Electricmanscott
Posted By: electure Re: Unusual Light Setup - 11/17/03 01:24 AM
Wow, Is this OK in your area, Scott?
Some U/F cable? inside of Cu plumbing pipe? I wouldn't want it at home
Posted By: iwire Re: Unusual Light Setup - 11/17/03 11:15 AM
I know it is weird and it would have not been my choice, .....but.

If that is UF inside that pipe it would seem to comply with 334.15(B)Protection from Physical Damage.

In that article they list all sorts of raceways plus

"or other means"

"or other metal pipe"

I really don't see a problem if it is UF, if it is single conductors that would be a problem.

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 11-17-2003).]
Posted By: Gus1999 Re: Unusual Light Setup - 11/17/03 05:51 PM
I would question how it was installed. If it was pulled through that 90d plumbing fitting, that would make some serious pulling resistance and heat possibly exposing conductors.

And speaking of heat - is that fitting soldered? If so I hope it was before the wires were put in but then that points back to the first problem.

Persoanlly I do like the idea of copper for cosmetics in this appliaction as it will turn patina over time. But one must consider a safe way to use it.

[This message has been edited by Gus1999 (edited 11-17-2003).]
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Unusual Light Setup - 11/17/03 10:19 PM
I couldn't tell what kind of wire was in there. Maybe next time I pass by I'll climb up and take a closer look. I got some strange looks when I was taking these pistures!
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Unusual Light Setup - 11/18/03 01:20 AM
Maybe next time I pass by I'll climb up and take a closer look.

Honest, officer, I was not about to steal that light!
Posted By: GETELECTRIC Re: Unusual Light Setup - 11/18/03 06:36 PM
SAFETY BEING THE ISSUE HERE,WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THIS AND STEEL?
Posted By: codeenforcementguy Re: Unusual Light Setup - 11/18/03 11:58 PM
That being a weather resistive box, would be interested in how / if they managed the threaded fitting that would probably need to be soldered to maintain the intergrity of the assembly .. I can understand the intent of the copper .. they want it to weather out so it compliments the antique lantern looks. ERFERTT
Posted By: txsparky Re: Unusual Light Setup - 11/19/03 12:25 AM
The elbow looks like it has been soldered to me.
Did they use a hose bib at the top to form a drip loop for the wiring? [Linked Image]
Posted By: crash Re: Unusual Light Setup - 11/19/03 03:58 AM
Every time I have seen soldered copper pipe next to wood, I have seen black marks on the wood. The wood next to this "conduit" contain no black marks. Which means that the "conduit" was assembled at a remote location and latter installed. If that were the case then how did the installer get tat last 90 into the box. Is there any "conduit" inside the post.
Posted By: PCBelarge Re: Unusual Light Setup - 11/19/03 05:33 AM
How about pipe fill, and bending radius? I cannot see how either can be complied with.

Pierre
Posted By: sparky Re: Unusual Light Setup - 11/19/03 11:34 AM
a valid Q GETELECTRIC...

what is the dif bettween this raceway , amd all the wells out there running conductors in wellpipe?

myself, i don't go off on a rating/listing jingle anymore, i simply tell people that a raceway should identify itself as to it's contents...
Posted By: electure Re: Unusual Light Setup - 11/19/03 01:15 PM
There's a product made for copper that's a "cold solder", made for repair work. It doesn't require a torch.
None of the plumbers I know would ever use the stuff, but it's just possible that that's what was used to get that 90 on...S
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Unusual Light Setup - 11/19/03 04:49 PM
Instead of the "water pipe", wouldn't a reasonable solution be containing UF romex in {notched} wood molding up the side of the pole?
Posted By: Spark Master Flash Re: Unusual Light Setup - 11/27/03 04:56 AM
According to the NEC, 3/4" conduit can't have a radius tighter than 4 1/2 inches using one shot or full shoe benders, and "other bends" can't be tighter than 5 inches. See NEC 358.24 and table 344.24.
Posted By: Spark Master Flash Re: Unusual Light Setup - 11/27/03 05:02 AM
And another thing. According to 358.6, it says "EMT, factory elbows, and associated fittings shall be listed." I doubt if copper tubing with sharp 90s would be considered listed for that use.

Also, according to 358.2, it says "EMT is generally made of steel (ferrous) with protective coatings or aluminum (nonferrous)." It doesn't say copper can't be used in that article.
Posted By: GETELECTRIC Re: Unusual Light Setup - 11/27/03 06:03 PM
shame to anyone who would chastise this work going by what we see in the picture. those of you who haven,t done anything that compares to this interms of code violation are either full of s... or have an halo for a hard hat.
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Unusual Light Setup - 02/24/04 06:17 AM
In this installation, I probably would've gone with schedule 80 & a PVC LB(sunlight resistant) for resistance to the elements & possible impace damage... As for aesthetics... A simple coat of spray paint before installation to match the pole [Linked Image]
Posted By: Mr. Ed Re: Unusual Light Setup - 02/27/04 12:54 AM
Could these lamps be low voltage?
© ECN Electrical Forums