ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Street PC - 11/08/03 04:18 PM
[Linked Image]
I guess if you get a pc you need somewhere to plug it in, even if you are homeless. Is this a violation?

Jim
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Street PC - 11/08/03 06:18 PM
Did the guy also happen to have a shopping cart with a playing TV set sitting on top of it?

Saw a guy with a setup like that a few years ago. A friend took a picture...don't remember who though.

Is the picture from the New York City area? Lampost looks like one of ours...
Posted By: crash Re: Street PC - 11/08/03 07:29 PM
Yes this is definitely a violation. The cars are driving on the wrong side of the road.
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Street PC - 11/09/03 02:16 AM
Sven, this sure looks like something one would see in NYC!!!
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Street PC - 11/09/03 04:26 AM
The ergonomic chair is a must nowadays.
Posted By: sparky Re: Street PC - 11/09/03 10:44 AM
hmmm, this guys got a cleaner office than i do.....
Posted By: iwire Re: Street PC - 11/09/03 11:43 AM
We know this guy is just trying to access

"Electrical Contractor Network"
Posted By: :andy: Re: Street PC - 11/09/03 07:46 PM
everytime i see that pic i ask myself, what the hell is this? what does he do there?
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Street PC - 11/09/03 11:03 PM
A very rare view into the top-secret AOL Network Operations Center…
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Street PC - 11/09/03 11:04 PM
Didn't experts predict the modern office would be paperless by now?
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Street PC - 11/09/03 11:05 PM
You can tell this is strictly an off-hours operation. Ever try to read text on a CRT in daylight?
Posted By: pwood Re: Street PC - 11/10/03 07:59 PM
looks like those rumors about intel downsizing are true! [Linked Image]
Posted By: Mean Gene Re: Street PC - 11/11/03 05:09 PM
Yes, Federal Violation. He's using a stolen U.S. Mail tote to support his monitor. [Linked Image]

Some kind soul should hook up a G.F.C.I. for poor guy. I wouldn't want to be anywhere around him when it starts raining! [Linked Image]
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Street PC - 11/11/03 09:08 PM
The "convenience" receptacles I've usually seen inside these lamp posts consists of a pigtail molded rubber NEMA 5-15 connector (similar to a pigtail lampholder but with holes for a standard plug instead of a thread for a bulb). I can't see clearly but it looks like that's what he's plugged his extension into. Look at that little yellow dot at the bottom of the wiring chamber cover (in the base).

They look similar to the female cord-caps used for making extension cords (yellow cylinders) but instead of attaching the device directly to the cord using screw terminals, you splice three wires (black, white & green) into the existing supply.

Don't know who makes them and why this is done that way -- it seems sort of prone to damage in my opinion. I've never gotten close enough to poke my hand in the base of a lamp post (a lot of them have the lid to the wiring chamber popped off).....and after some of the hair-raising stories I've read here, I never will! [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 11-11-2003).]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Street PC - 11/11/03 11:09 PM
I wondered whether the folk driving by and seeing all this gear might think that the EPA is setting up a temporary emissions testing post.
© ECN Electrical Forums