ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin A Good Safety Poster? - 08/29/03 12:34 AM
Photo contributed by Sven:

[Linked Image]

NEVER Do This at Home!

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 08-28-2003).]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: A Good Safety Poster? - 08/29/03 12:37 AM
Is something like this a good subject for a Safety Poster?

Or do you think it may give some children ideas?

Bill
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: A Good Safety Poster? - 08/29/03 01:59 AM
...do you think it may give some children ideas?

I think it depends on the targeted age group, but that sure looks dangerous. Where is this photo from?

I still remember being told at a very young age that if I ever put something (and more specifically, something such as a knife) into an outlet, I would get pulled inside and would be stuck forever. (My wife finally convinced me that plugging in the vacuum cleaner really is not dangerous.)
Posted By: Bjarney Re: A Good Safety Poster? - 08/29/03 02:53 AM
TG / Bill -- That's not too crazy of a threat. :-)

[Linked Image from themeterguy.com]

From: http://www.themeterguy.com/photogallery/main/tmg_photogallery.htm
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: A Good Safety Poster? - 08/29/03 03:04 AM
The picture was emailed to me by an online buddy (and co-contributor to the Use-Net newsgroup rec.antiques.radio+phono). Don't know where he got it from.

We were joking around about another guy who frequents the group...who, some time back, actually admitted that he had done a similar thing once.

I believe he said he tried to pry off one of those really old round hemi-spehrical bakelite plugs using either a screwdriver or a knife. You know, the ones similar to those black open-front caps but without the little handle to grasp onto. [Linked Image]

He's got a habit of blowing up old radios a lot.... [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 08-28-2003).]
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: A Good Safety Poster? - 08/29/03 10:11 PM
A steak knife would have provided at least a minimal amount of insulation via the handle...Amateurs!
Posted By: pauluk Re: A Good Safety Poster? - 08/31/03 11:21 AM
Looks like a good topic to start a heart-to-heart discussion in an episode of Leave It To Beaver. [Linked Image]

Seriously though, I suppose young kid seeing the picture on its own without any supporting words from adults might get ideas about trying it. I think the picture would need to be backed up with a lesson on why doing something such as this is a bad idea, and an explanation of the consequences.

I love getting kids involved with technical stuff if they seem interested, and a few weeks ago I had a little girl (about 5) who was fascinated by what I was doing and wanted to help. A couple of times I gave her a pair of side-cutters and let her cut wires for me.

I did explain that she must only ever do such a thing if a grown-up tells her to, but was it still encouragement to maybe do something she shouldn't?
Posted By: John Steinke Re: A Good Safety Poster? - 09/02/03 10:59 PM
Now we know what caused the east coast power problems!
Posted By: Zapped Re: A Good Safety Poster? - 09/18/03 02:30 PM
There goes my mom, handing out my baby pictures again.

BTW - My hair is curly now.
Posted By: ftl-eric Re: A Good Safety Poster? - 09/19/03 03:51 AM
This may put bad ideas into people's heads.

A couple of years back the local sheriff put up a large banner at the high school that stated: Stealing Street Signs is a Crime.

The result was a 250% increase is sign theft in the county.

[This message has been edited by ftl-eric (edited 09-18-2003).]
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: A Good Safety Poster? - 09/19/03 04:04 PM
You know...there IS a 50 percent chance that the kid is shoving the knife into the hole leading to the neutral....
Posted By: Big Jim Re: A Good Safety Poster? - 09/22/03 07:43 AM
SvenNYC - Not according to Murphy there isn't. Theory 50/50 Reality 95/5 to the favor of hot.
© ECN Electrical Forums