ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Would you use this T-Switch? - 08/12/03 01:19 AM
[Linked Image]
Yup, it's the world's cheapest T-Switch here, but would you use it?

~Steve aka sparky

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 08-12-2003).]
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Would you use this T-Switch? - 08/12/03 02:41 AM
...would you use it?

Do you mean with or without PPE?
Posted By: JCooper Re: Would you use this T-Switch? - 08/12/03 03:44 AM
I was not aware that you could clamp sealtight with a NM connector, and I have been buying the expensive ones all along.... BTW what are the two wires exiting the panel on the bottom left, ground wire?
Posted By: mamills Re: Would you use this T-Switch? - 08/12/03 05:56 PM
I have seen these SqD devices and played with them. FWIW, I'm kinda surprised at SqD for offering such a product for isolating generator current from POCO current - it just seems kinda cheesy to me. [Linked Image] My personal choice would be a double-throw, center-off safety switch (along with properly fitted connectors to the box, of course).

Mike (mamills)

[This message has been edited by mamills (edited 08-12-2003).]
Posted By: sparky Re: Would you use this T-Switch? - 08/12/03 06:39 PM
This isn't my work fellas,
but that $.02 T-switch would most certianly beat my quotes.
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Would you use this T-Switch? - 08/12/03 07:23 PM
This type of pictured circuit-beaker “intelock” is sometimes found in RVs to select between an on-board genset and “shore power.” I am not sure many electric utilities have caught on to this potential death trap. What amazes me is the 2-pole breaker across from a 1-pole breaker—backfeed guaranteed, unless only one pole of the 2-pole breaker is used. On its best day that can’t work without significant hazard to life and property—unless this is a 100% “off-grid” system.

[Linked Image from 64.146.180.232]

{The white left enclosure looks like a Trace inverter accessory—the installation may be for a photovoltaic home-power installation.}
Posted By: iwire Re: Would you use this T-Switch? - 08/12/03 08:04 PM
OK how do you guys feel about this one, (maybe someone can enlarge it)

[Linked Image from reliancecontrols.com]

Reliance Controls

I was thinking about using this in my own house, the mechanism is not flimsy but it removes with the cover.

For the average DIYer this could be a problem.

Bob

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 08-12-2003).]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Would you use this T-Switch? - 08/12/03 08:42 PM
Bob,

Here's a 2x version, anything past that gets really distorted.

[Linked Image]

I REALLY don't like the idea of it coming off with the cover.

Bill
Posted By: sparky Re: Would you use this T-Switch? - 08/12/03 08:57 PM
i concere with the group here, but lack the verbage to convey the sentiment other than 'cheesy'

Bjarney (et all) could you please elaborate??
Posted By: mamills Re: Would you use this T-Switch? - 08/12/03 09:33 PM
Sparky:
I guess the thing I don't like about it is that the little "either/or" arm (for lack of a better description) looks very flimsy - as a matter of fact, when I was "playing" with one (not installed) I found it rather easy to bend the arm out, allowing both breakers to be closed (not good [Linked Image] ). I hope the one I was handling was the exception and not the rule.

Mike (mamills)

[This message has been edited by mamills (edited 08-12-2003).]
Posted By: electure Re: Would you use this T-Switch? - 08/13/03 12:13 AM
Steve, I think cheesy conveys the message quite clearly.
I once saw 2 old EXOs, one right side up, the other upside down, with their handles bolted together. I think I woulda felt safer even with that contraption than this flimsy thing
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Would you use this T-Switch? - 08/13/03 01:34 AM
sparky — The short version is there is not much preventing both breakers from being turned on at the same time. The correct solution is to use a double-throw safety switch like F Series Double Throw Switches

Note that if the switch is [part of a legally required standby system, UL1008 listing/labeling is typically specified.

(edited to shorten url)

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 08-12-2003).]
Posted By: Jim M Re: Would you use this T-Switch? - 08/13/03 04:23 AM
Bjarney,

I think if you look closely, the vertical strap that holds the arm is actually over the left side of a 2-pole breaker. The QO 2-pole breaker only has a single handle, the other side is flush.
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Would you use this T-Switch? - 08/13/03 05:05 AM
This is the "F Series Double Throw Switch" mentioned by Bjarney:

[Linked Image from 65.108.216.53]
Posted By: electure Re: Would you use this T-Switch? - 08/13/03 11:47 AM
Now, there's a real transfwer switch.
Posted By: sabrown Re: Would you use this T-Switch? - 08/13/03 01:00 PM
I suppose that I will take the risk and point out a use that I found one of these used in that I found quite logical. Last week I was at a remote water system that was generator run (read as "What is commercial power?"). The site had the abitlity to have a portable generator brought in for temporary power if the main generator was down for repairs and used one of these to switch between the two generator sources. Switching was only occurring when both sources were off. Nice and inexpensive solution without any hazards involved. The generator onsite was under 10 kw.

Shane
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Would you use this T-Switch? - 08/13/03 02:58 PM
Jim M — If I follow your description OK, the interlock accessory does not make a pole space unusable.
© ECN Electrical Forums