ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Spending Money ... - 07/09/03 05:13 AM
[Linked Image]
Is there anyone here that can justify paying $10,000 to have this / / hanging over your dining room table??
(the fixture alone was >$9K)
...S
(Electure)
Posted By: Redsy Re: Spending Money ... - 07/09/03 11:15 AM
From what I can see of the rest of the house, it is probably the equivalent of me spending about $15.00 for a "chandelier".

BTW, is this an electric fixture with "faux" candles ?
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Spending Money ... - 07/09/03 01:17 PM
Fashionably accessorized with matching end table, dining room table and beer mug.
[Linked Image from 65.108.216.53]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Spending Money ... - 07/09/03 01:59 PM
Fashionably accessorized with matching end table, dining room table and beer mug.
Translation:
"Let's throw together $50 worth of stuff and give it a high-fallutin' description in the hope that some sucker will pay $9000 for it."

Looks like their approach worked! [Linked Image]
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Spending Money ... - 07/09/03 02:08 PM
Only $10,000 for the light? That's a great price!

What do you mean "I must have GFCIs in the kitchen and bathrooms?" Those things are expensive!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Spending Money ... - 07/09/03 04:00 PM
Is there anyone here that can justify paying $10,000 to have this / / hanging over your dining room table??
(the fixture alone was >$9K)
...S

No, because none of us here are drug dealers or big-time CEOs and have that kind of money to spend.

As for me, a standard 4" box-mount porcelain lampholder in the middle of the room will suffice! (Anything is better than the pigtail hanging there currently) [Linked Image]

The person who owns this house would probably think nothing of flying the Concorde (if it still existed) for a weekend in Paris.
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Spending Money ... - 07/09/03 05:36 PM
Visualize that most groovey feng shui shakra, duude!
Posted By: pauluk Re: Spending Money ... - 07/09/03 07:22 PM
What do you mean "I must have GFCIs in the kitchen and bathrooms?" Those things are expensive!
Trouble is they can't have their cocktail-set friends over to gloat about the stuff that hides in the panel. Just imagine it:

"Daaaaarling...... What ABSOLUTELY deviiiiiine GFIs you found for this little cottage of yours. Wherever did you get them?"
[Linked Image]

Personally, I wouldn't want this monstrosity hanging over my dining table even if it cost only $10 -- It reminds me of some of the things I've seen hanging from the walls of medieval English castles!

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 07-09-2003).]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Spending Money ... - 07/10/03 10:21 AM
Looks pretty flash, but I wouldn't be paying THAT kind of money for something I could weld up, in my workshop!.
BTW, is this an electric fixture with "faux" candles ?
You'd sort of hope it was electric, imagine replacing ALL them candles and having the Wax falling on your plate.
What are "faux" candles?.
Posted By: Redsy Re: Spending Money ... - 07/10/03 11:17 AM
faux = fake
Posted By: electure Re: Spending Money ... - 07/10/03 11:56 AM
The chimneys on this fixture are actually made of wax, (with a large "Do Not Overlamp" sticker on each lampholder)
The stupid thing weighs about 85 pounds.
It has 4 little downlights that barely shed any light on the table surface.

The pallet that this monstrosity was shipped on probably was more expensive than the chandelier in my dining room...S [Linked Image]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Spending Money ... - 07/10/03 05:33 PM
Did we have a picture around of a fixture that looked like a big Beer Glass?

I was looking for it to add here, but couldn't seem to locate it ,,,
Anyone remember that?

Bill
Posted By: txsparky Re: Spending Money ... - 07/10/03 06:10 PM
Do you lose your taste as you get richer? [Linked Image]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Spending Money ... - 07/10/03 06:35 PM
Found it ...
Also from Electure:

[Linked Image]
(Very elegant), and still won't hold beer. It'll leak.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: txsparky Re: Spending Money ... - 07/10/03 08:22 PM
The chimneys on this fixture are actually made of wax, (with a large "Do Not Overlamp" sticker on each lampholder
Overlamping would make it look more realistic though! [Linked Image]
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Spending Money ... - 07/10/03 09:33 PM
TXSPARKY WROTE:
Do you lose your taste as you get richer?

Dude, that's assuming you had ANY taste to begin with!!!! [Linked Image]

I think the fixture would look great if I owned an ultra-chic restaurant/bar in SoHo, Chelsea or Greenwich Village. And I'd probably lamp it with real candles from the dollar store... [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Would I put it in a house? Err...no. Especially not a house styled like what I see here.

It's too bad becasuse the surrounding room look nice....and very old fashioned (which is what I like anyway). Check out the trim on the ceiling, the staircase, the paneling over the fire-place, etc.
Posted By: electure Re: Spending Money ... - 07/11/03 01:18 AM
Does having lots of money make you any dumber?
(I wouldn't know, 'cause I've never had too much) [Linked Image]
Bill, I forgot about that beer glass. More Smoke and Mirrors. It was from Italy, so that alone increased it's value tremendously.
(I just found out I'm going to the same place tomorrow...to hang a light fixture) [Linked Image]
It's been a coupla months since I've been there...S
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Spending Money ... - 07/11/03 01:21 AM
Electure,
That's a pretty cool beer glass light fitting.
What more could you want?. [Linked Image]
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Spending Money ... - 07/11/03 01:33 AM
What more could you want?
Beer?
Posted By: electure Re: Spending Money ... - 07/11/03 11:49 AM
Trumpy,
Sadly, the beer glass light was actually supposed to be another fancypantscustom "decorator" light fixture, and wasn't intended to be thought of as a beer glass. To my recollection they were about $300 or $350 each, and a real pain to install.
I sent this picture in a year or 2 ago. Bill and Joe found it archived somewhere and put it in this thread.. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Spending Money ... - 07/11/03 11:42 PM
Scott,
Oh well, that puts a whole new angle on it.
$350??, that's a LOT of money for something that looks pretty simple!.
Sven,
Dude, that's assuming you had ANY taste to begin with!!!!
I could add to this list, politeness and any idea what it is to do a decent day's work.
I hate working for people that got thier money through inheritance (and there's a few of them over here), they scream and whinge about the amount of THIER money they have to spend, to do the smallest of jobs.
(To quote Aerosmith)Eat the Rich!.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Spending Money ... - 07/12/03 10:28 AM
And......

Has anybody else noticed how it's often the people in $500,000+ houses with annual incomes in the stockbroker class who keep you waiting the longest for payment?

The average Joe around my area usually pays straight after the job's done, and many of them are there cash-in-hand as you're packing up to leave!
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Spending Money ... - 07/12/03 10:45 AM
VERY GOOD point, Paul!.
You've hit the nail on the head, there. [Linked Image]
Posted By: electure Re: Spending Money ... - 07/12/03 11:39 AM
I saw the folks latest "fixture", a chandelier that didn't look too bad to hang...until I went to lift it, and found it's made of cast iron. Topped out my 75 pound scale, and then some. I was also informed that some recessed sconce fixtures should be arriving at any time. Ought to be interesting??...S

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 12-03-2003).]
Posted By: Nick Re: Spending Money ... - 07/15/03 01:59 AM
Electure,
Orange county right? South OC as well I'll bet. (Or maybe Newport Bay) I did a TV station last year in Palm Springs (right off the 10 Freeway) There was a lighting store a couple of miles away that specialized in strange over prices stuff like this. It was unbelievable what they charged for what I would refer to as junk. They tack on a pretty substantial rich person surcharge for this stuff.
Posted By: John Steinke Re: Spending Money ... - 07/16/03 02:47 AM
I would have loved to be a fly on the wall the day those candles arrived at UL for testing!
Posted By: electure Re: Spending Money ... - 07/18/03 11:29 AM
Nick,
yup...Newport Coast, (We did the guard "shacks" at the entries a few years back; ran a little over $1.5 million each).
Palm Springs? [Linked Image] I'll bet this would be a GREAT fixture for there! An expensive puddle of wax.
I went on a call at a Palm Springs auto dealership (Rolls Royce/Bentley, nonetheless) last week. I got out of there early, temp was only 112°.
Later in the day it hit 118°. All the Richey Riches were nowhere to be seen...S
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Spending Money ... - 07/19/03 01:42 AM
electure,
They'd be cooling off in the pool at the Country Club, wouldn't they?. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Nick Re: Spending Money ... - 07/20/03 03:01 PM
Trumpy,
Actually they head to cooler climates for the summer. It is miserably hot and humid in the summer there. You can get allot of good deals on places to stay and rounds of golf there in the summer.
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: Spending Money ... - 08/04/05 04:46 PM
Hey! What's that rectangular or round shaped hole in the drywall for?
Posted By: electure Re: Spending Money ... - 08/04/05 10:54 PM
That's the original location of the perfectly good chandelier that they threw away [Linked Image] Other black hole is a downlight.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Spending Money ... - 08/07/05 11:35 AM
Scott,
That's the original location of the perfectly good chandelier that they threw away
Did they over-spend on the light fitting and not leave enough to get the hole plastered up?.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: electure Re: Spending Money ... - 08/07/05 11:52 AM
Certainly not!
As a matter of fact, they called me back a few months later to relocate this monstrosity by about 5" because they didn't like the spot they'd chosen originally.
The 2nd time, I had to tear up the ceiling to put in bracing.
They had a drywaller and a painter follow right behind me to patch it.
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Spending Money ... - 08/07/05 12:07 PM
Things money can't buy;

Taste.
Common sense.
Happiness.
Love.
Immortality.

Alan
(ps. It will buy me!)
Posted By: Hemingray Re: Spending Money ... - 08/08/05 06:33 AM
geez! I'm happy with just a 2-bulb room fixture.
Posted By: Jps1006 Re: Spending Money ... - 08/09/05 03:35 AM
What I don't get is, if this is the look you want, why bother with the electricty. Wouldn't this be more impressive to the guests if they were all real candles?

I don't get the legths and expenses people will go to try to artificially recreate something that has been in existance since shortly after the wheel. I have no problem with the style shown in the picture, I just think there is an easier way to do it, and I have always thought authenticty is more impressive.
Posted By: BElder Re: Spending Money ... - 08/10/05 04:51 PM
Do you think it was made in mexico for $.50 by children!!! [Linked Image]
Maybe that's what makes it so valuable
It's an Import [Linked Image]
Posted By: mxslick Re: Spending Money ... - 08/10/05 05:59 PM
The really pathetic part of this is that there is maybe $400 worth of material involved in building that abomination, and the design is so basic that any high-school welding class kid could put it together.

Hmmm, since I took welding in high school, may I should go into buisness building them. I'll only charge $5,000.00 for it! [Linked Image]
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Spending Money ... - 08/10/05 08:11 PM
Just noticed- but is that a similar light cluster unit below it, with an illuminated coffee mug? Another 10 grand I suppose.
Alan.

PS Can these folks not afford any furniture?

[This message has been edited by Alan Belson (edited 08-10-2005).]
Posted By: electure Re: Spending Money ... - 08/11/05 12:49 AM
Alan,
The second photo was a Parody/Photoshop job by Thinkgood, a very talented ECN member.

The furniture was yet to be discovered because as you know, you can't have just any old furniture in a place like this [Linked Image]
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: Spending Money ... - 08/11/05 11:21 AM
Hey, maybe Thinkgood could photoshop them a million bucks worth of Louis XVth Ormalu furniture to impress the Harrington-Smythes?
"Oh, it's not here at the moment, dahling, we sent it off to be chrome-plated. That gold-color- it is so passé!

Alan

[This message has been edited by Alan Belson (edited 08-11-2005).]
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Spending Money ... - 08/11/05 01:27 PM
I wonder what ever happened to ThinkGood. I haven't seen him post for a long time...a couple of years now, isn't it?
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Spending Money ... - 08/12/05 07:49 PM
Yeah good point Ryan,
He had some beaut pictures. [Linked Image]
Posted By: electure Re: Spending Money ... - 08/12/05 09:55 PM
Also a very "good" guy. His motto; "Think good and it will be good".

A rollicking fun time, that guy [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums