ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Insufficient Clearance - 06/21/03 02:17 AM
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
What you don’t see is farther to the left. There is some Romex that has not yet been terminated at the panel.

I guess the electrician won’t be too happy when he sees what the plumber did [Linked Image]
(Thinkgood)
Posted By: George Corron Re: Insufficient Clearance - 06/21/03 04:31 AM
HEY,
That IS insufficient clearance........ HOW the H@#L's a plumber supposed to work in an area with that d@#$%d panel door hitting him in the back?????????? [Linked Image]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Insufficient Clearance - 06/21/03 05:55 AM
Don't you just hate it when Plumbers do this!!.
George, you're right on the money there!.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Insufficient Clearance - 06/21/03 06:41 AM
Thanks TG,

It doesn't look like there's any working space in front of that Panelboard, which would be a clear violation.

Here's a slightly different situation:

[Linked Image]

You have to go between the Oil Tank and the wall to get to the Service Panelboard here. There's about 12 inches max of space to get through but there may be 3 feet in front of the panel itself when you get there.

Can any violation be cited here?

Bill
Posted By: George Corron Re: Insufficient Clearance - 06/21/03 01:37 PM
Bill,
If this is the only access, you bet it can be cited. BOCA, or IBC either one require certain spacing for access halls. The minimum, applying all exceptions, etc, would be 2 feet, and IF it is the emergency egress path for anyone working in there, it's gotta be 3 feet minimum.

Lemme know if you need, I don't carry those books home with me, but can look it up for ya.
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: Insufficient Clearance - 06/21/03 02:10 PM
This looks to be a remodel job. Just from a plumbers perspective,the dwv line could have been lowered to hug the floor,but this appears to be the main dwv exit from the building.

It seems as though the plumbing would have been under the slab in the original construction,hence,it was there first and approved.

It appears the electrician made a poor choice of panel location.

We do both,and try to avoid these situations,butsometimes,they both wind up in the same room.

Poor planning it seems,on the part of both trades.

Russell
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Insufficient Clearance - 06/21/03 02:40 PM
George,

Yes it is the only access. In the picture I'm standing in front of the panel looking back at the only access route to the equipment.

I'm not involved in any issue with this in particular, but it would be nice to know that something does exist and I could pass on the info to the next Bonehead I see putting up walls like this. GRRRR

[Linked Image]
Bill
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Insufficient Clearance - 06/22/03 03:22 AM
George Corron:
As it stands now, the door to the panel is open, so maybe the plumber can just remove the door and that's that. [Linked Image]

ga.sparky56:

Your explanation is right on the mark. Many times the homeowner wants all of the utilities off to one corner so they can box them in once the basement is finished.

Maybe one of these might help...
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Insufficient Clearance - 06/22/03 04:36 AM
TG,
Many times the homeowner wants all of the utilities off to one corner so they can box them in once the basement is finished.
Very true. It's a real problem sometimes.

Bill
Posted By: CaOperator Re: Insufficient Clearance - 06/23/03 12:17 AM
Is it common to see a gas meter in an enclosed space like this? The meters around here are either located under the house in the crawlspace or mounted to the out side of the house. It also seems like a poor idea to situate it that close to the panel, or situate the panel that close to the meter. But the the real kicker is the conductor that runs from somewhere near the top of the panel and the uses the face of the meter as a cord wrap! [Linked Image]
Posted By: Mike_Riverside Re: Insufficient Clearance - 06/23/03 12:23 AM
CaOperator:
But the the real kicker is the conductor that runs from somewhere near the top of the panel and the uses the face of the meter as a cord wrap!

This wire is probably for a remote meter reading device, for the gas meter.
Posted By: ga.sparky56 Re: Insufficient Clearance - 06/23/03 12:27 AM
Or if the gas service line has been changed at some point outside to non-metallic, it may be a locator wire.

[This message has been edited by ga.sparky56 (edited 06-22-2003).]
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Insufficient Clearance - 06/25/03 02:36 AM
It's just det cord...
Posted By: zapped208 Re: Insufficient Clearance - 06/26/03 10:12 AM
H**L thats a piece of cake compared to what I have to work around all the time!
Posted By: mlk682 Re: Insufficient Clearance - 08/02/03 02:07 PM
Last year i moved a service in a residence and installed a 4 square box with some gfcis under it for a panel service outlet/convenience outlet. I returned to find the Hot water heater placed Directly in front of the panel and mounted directly over my 4 square box was a disconnect..Now I was peaved but not wanting to make waves I removed said items,and left a 30 amp disconnect on the other side of the wall for the hot water heater. Had the plumber move it and I returned and reconnected the hot water heater. The customer had not moved in yet.....It gets better....The day of inspection I find out From my AHJ....that they ..in order to make room for the hot water heater they moved the washer and dryer...Guess where they put them.......Right in front of my panel... I then proceeded to tape on the floor and mark in Very large angrily scrawled lettering that nothing was to be placed here......Gets even better...I returned to get paid a few weeks later and happened to look down there... placed neatly in front of my panel was YUP The washer and dryer.....Oh well
© ECN Electrical Forums