ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Wrong Cover - Is this a Violation? - 05/05/03 03:07 AM
[Linked Image]

I see this from time to time and it bothers me a bit, but is it a Violation?

Bill
Posted By: NJwirenut Re: Wrong Cover - Is this a Violation? - 05/05/03 11:07 AM
Appears to be a metal box cover on a PVC box.

Also, the hinge on the cover operates in the wrong direction.
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Wrong Cover - Is this a Violation? - 05/05/03 02:14 PM
Not an "in-use" cover?
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Wrong Cover - Is this a Violation? - 05/05/03 03:13 PM
The manufacturers instructions (not that anybody bothers to read them) more than likely states the orientation of this cover.

(PS: It's probably plactic, as the box)

John
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Wrong Cover - Is this a Violation? - 05/05/03 03:25 PM
Why does it matter what direction the spring cover opens?

Must it open so that the ground pin faces the hinge or the two current-carrying pins face the hinge?

An in-use bubble is much neater-looking also. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Wrong Cover - Is this a Violation? - 05/05/03 03:28 PM
TG,

This is not a new installation, or subject to latest codes anyway.

John,

I'm referring to the orientation of the Box and Cover. I suspect it is as weatherproof in this position as any other when it is closed and that may be all that matters. Does anyone Redtag for this?

(ps it is a metal cover)

Bill
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Wrong Cover - Is this a Violation? - 05/05/03 03:34 PM
Sven,

If the cover is oriented in the intended manner it does give some protection from the elements when it is in use. But I think it's only requirement applied to the protection it gave when it was closed.

Bill
Posted By: mamills Re: Wrong Cover - Is this a Violation? - 05/05/03 05:26 PM
I have a silly question; Can an in-use cover (which I have seen installed on many vertically-mounted devices) also be used on horizontal as well, or are there in-use covers specifically made for this?

...throw pebbles, please...not big rocks [Linked Image]

Mike (mamills)
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Wrong Cover - Is this a Violation? - 05/05/03 05:42 PM
Mike,

No pebbles either,
Sure they do, here's one style made by Carlon:

[Linked Image]

Take a look here for more on them.
Product Catalog >> Electrical >> Weatherproof >> In Use Covers.

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 05-05-2003).]
Posted By: mamills Re: Wrong Cover - Is this a Violation? - 05/05/03 05:48 PM
Hi Bill: Thanks for the info. Sure looks like a much nicer install, as well as being able to shed water better.

Mike (mamills)
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Wrong Cover - Is this a Violation? - 05/05/03 06:05 PM
Mike,

Here's a full Metallic line of covers >> Red Dot

I like their deep in-use covers for covering those big twist-lock plugs when doing pools. And they seem like they will take more punishment than some of the hard plastic types.

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 05-05-2003).]
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Wrong Cover - Is this a Violation? - 05/05/03 07:22 PM
Bill:
If it's a metal cover, how is it grounded???

I would ask the electrician to install a plastic cover (they are available), and inquire as to how he grounded it.
If it was not grounded, I would post a red sticker. (Based on this being a new install)
If it's existing, there isn't much that can be done.

I still believe the mfg intends that the cover be oriented correctly to prevent water entry. The gasket is held tight by the spring tension, but the gasket and spring do deteriorate over time.

John
Looks like a metal cover to me. It is grounded the same as any other metal cover, the attachment screws. How else would you do it?
© ECN Electrical Forums