ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Who Dunnit? - 02/17/03 05:05 AM
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Was this done by an electrician? Don't think so!
Very high traffic-public area on Pacific Coast Highway in So. CA.
120V "Ropelights"

-Electure
Posted By: n1ist Re: Who Dunnit? - 02/17/03 04:28 PM
Well at least they tried :-) Most of the time I just see tree lights plugged into regular indoor extensions dangling from one tree to the next...
Posted By: ZackDitner Re: Who Dunnit? - 02/18/03 02:43 AM
Looks like a black freaking garden hose feeding that box on the tree..
Posted By: Scott35 Re: Who Dunnit? - 02/18/03 03:10 AM
Scott (electure),

Is this near Newport Pier???
Looks kind of familiar - maybe Huntington or Seal Beach Pier area???

Scott35 S.E.T.
Posted By: John Steinke Re: Who Dunnit? - 02/18/03 11:59 PM
Everything on the tree looks OK- metal (look at the screw indents) outside cover, used a junction box, attempt at strain relief. What strikes me is that the connector under the box looks like a plumbing PVC piece, and the conduit appears to be drip irrigation tubing. The curve in the tubing make me doubt that it's buried mor than a few inches deep.
Also: If he'd used a plastic outdoor box, he wouldn't need a ground wire.
Posted By: Mike_Riverside Re: Who Dunnit? - 02/20/03 04:18 AM
Scott...newport pier was torn down years ago, you are probabley thingking of Huntington pier. [Linked Image]
Posted By: electure Re: Who Dunnit? - 02/21/03 01:02 PM
Boy, you guys have got some sharp eyes!!
Yes, it's across from HB pier.
The white PVC fitting is an irrigation transition fitting to adapt from PVC to the 1/2" poly irrigation tubing that was used here.
Ground wire? What ground wire? Zip Cord runs through the "conduit"!!
(BTW, in the early 70's I lived in a house next door to this location. Built in 1908, 2 story, and rent was $125 a month. The City bought the property and razed the house.
It's now occupied by condos...about $500K for 800-900 sq ft. There goes the neighborhood [Linked Image])

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 02-21-2003).]
Posted By: Zapped Re: Who Dunnit? - 04/13/03 03:04 AM
I grew up in Huntington Beach...you should have seen the old main street, before they tore down the Golden Bear. It made this look textbook...
Posted By: electure Re: Who Dunnit? - 04/15/03 11:53 AM
Zapped,
This is on the exact location of the old Golden Bear!
Posted By: Zapped Re: Who Dunnit? - 04/19/03 01:16 AM
I know exactly where that is...I used to work for a company that performed all the electrical maintenance on the Edwards Cinema upstairs. If I only had a digital camera back then, I'd be posting here daily...

HB, Bro!
© ECN Electrical Forums