ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin This Is Not Temporary - 01/25/03 11:17 PM
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Found this mess in a city park in Northern California. It's this way all year long, so it isn't limited to a temporary holiday display.

- Bob
Posted By: iwire Re: This Is Not Temporary - 01/25/03 11:30 PM
It looks like something that was made up!

But it is sadly real, truth is "scarier" then fiction.

Still a few empty spots for expansion.

What do the cords feed?
Posted By: txsparky Re: This Is Not Temporary - 01/26/03 12:17 AM
Looks like they feed tree lights in a city park.
Posted By: rhagfo Re: This Is Not Temporary - 01/26/03 01:05 AM
This is truly a thing of beauty!!!
At least all of the receptacles are GFCI!! If it is only a year old then it should of had in use covers, I don't know if they make those in triple gang. The Parks crew must not have time or money to pull a permit and get an inspection!!!!
Posted By: rhagfo Re: This Is Not Temporary - 01/26/03 01:08 AM
It would be interesting to see a closeup of the connection at the base of the tree.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: This Is Not Temporary - 01/26/03 02:01 AM
rh,

This is about the best I can do without really starting to loose detail:

[Linked Image]

It's not a pretty sight.
Posted By: Bjarney Re: This Is Not Temporary - 01/26/03 04:23 AM
However pathetic, this was likely installed by a municipal "electrician”/plumber/gardener, whose work in some regions has a longstanding de facto exemption from permitting and inspection by the “building department” of the same municipality.
Posted By: lighthouse Re: This Is Not Temporary - 01/26/03 04:52 AM
rhagfo...i was thinking the same thing.3 gang wp box...thats the first time that i have seen one.have to check the book on that one.

bill.make it 1,002 uses for duck tape

are those plugs on the other ext cords (wp)

broken covers,next will a broken conduit when the tree grows.an i bet it's all on one circuit too.is there a code for mounting conduit and boxes on a tree.
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: This Is Not Temporary - 01/26/03 07:26 PM
Lighthouse:

Are you talking about the round ones? Yeah, they're just standard replacement rubber caps. I even recognize the style - they're made by Cooper/Eagle and are most likely Catalog #1709.

They're normally designed for indoor use. I doubt they're listed for long-term outdoor use.

OK, You may hit me now. [Linked Image]

*Edited to change "cat." to "catalog" so it wouldn't be confused with "category.*

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 01-27-2003).]
Posted By: sparky Re: This Is Not Temporary - 01/26/03 09:43 PM
interesting that munipalities are many times exempt, or claim sovergn immunity, while being the easiest to sue...

527.3 may be in question here.

527.4(j) is interesting, apparently the 'vegetation' in question flys.....
Posted By: lighthouse Re: This Is Not Temporary - 01/26/03 09:43 PM
SvenNYC... [Linked Image] thats what i thought too. indoor plug.
Posted By: rhagfo Re: This Is Not Temporary - 01/27/03 01:27 AM
I doubt that the groung level is still water proof, the cover looks like the gardener has attached it with both a mower and a weed whacker. A couple of more trimmings and that cover should be gone.
Posted By: WattsPie Re: This Is Not Temporary - 01/27/03 05:39 AM
The above installation seems to violate the following:

Article 225.26
Article 406.8(b)(1)(2)
Posted By: energy7 Re: This Is Not Temporary - 02/10/03 09:14 PM
We raise a serious question here. I'd be interested to know a percentage of jurisdictions that do like the one I work for: "Work within the premises by "Facilities" is just maintenance, here. Last time I pointed out some unpermitted electrical work by municipal employees in our building, I received a frowning verbal reprimand. (Interesting that they didn't make it written!).
NFPA 70, Art. 90 includes work by "Facilities".
Uniform Administrative Code (for those of us in ICBO territory) sec. 301 requires a permit for that "Facilities" work, and makes it a violation of Law to do otherwise (UAC sec. 205).
Posted By: frenchelectrican Re: This Is Not Temporary - 02/12/03 06:24 AM
now that is very instering to see the set up oh man in n.e. wisconsin and france ( that where i came from ) will not permet that kind of set up and yeah i did see 3 gang box but not too often kinda of rare the hardest one i see is a 4 gang version anyway that have toooooooo many voilations but have gfci there but should have in use cover and btw how many branch line i belive that set up is too much for 1 line to take it but that is very instering trap to see and rigid pipe ??? humm ya guys should know that all tree do move someway that is the fastet way to destory box if you get my point

merci marc
Posted By: yaktx Re: This Is Not Temporary - 02/20/03 12:06 AM
code for mounting conduit and boxes on a tree

225.26 is all I can find.

The main thing to be concerned with is not the tree growing up, but out. UF stapled to trees is the worst. As the tree increases in diameter, the staples stay put, and the tree pushes the UF out until the staples cut through the insulation.

I remember some sage advice I heard a long time ago. Use RMC only, use stand-off straps, and keep the screws slightly loose.

Nevertheless, I like to use PVC on really gnarly trees, like the live oaks that grow here in TX. If you have a large hotbox, you can form the conduit to the most convoluted trunk shape. It is as natural a look as you can get.
Posted By: Crowbar Re: This Is Not Temporary - 02/20/03 02:11 AM
At the very least with the open duplex recptacle they allowed for future expansion.
Posted By: yaktx Re: This Is Not Temporary - 02/20/03 02:19 AM
"UF stapled to trees is the worst."

OK, I take that back. It is the worst that could be expected of someone who means well and is reasonably competent. Romex or 16/3 orange extension cord stapled to the tree is even worse.
Posted By: Zapped Re: This Is Not Temporary - 04/13/03 03:09 AM
Ummm...don't trees grow? I think someone overlooked that too.
© ECN Electrical Forums