ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin New Dryer Wiring - 01/08/03 03:20 AM
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
This was from papers that came with a Dryer I recently installed for someone. Part of this is also on the rear of the machine in the form of a label. Where does it say anything about removing the Neutral to Frame Bond ??
[Linked Image]
This was from inside the Installation Manual, which most people wouldn't even see after having gotten their instructions from the other sheet and Label on the dryer itself. (couldn't take a picture of that because I didn't have the Camera that day). It does mention removing the Bond, but it could be clearer I think.

Bill
Posted By: lighthouse Re: New Dryer Wiring - 01/08/03 03:57 AM
bill...i have a ????? use a ul approved strain relief...on what? 4 conductor flat cord.
Posted By: caselec Re: New Dryer Wiring - 01/08/03 04:10 AM
Lighthouse, The 4-conductor cords are round not flat like the 3-conductor cords. All of the cord sets come with a strain relief (clamp) but I and many others have found them to be almost useless. Most of the 2-screw cable clamps that are used for NM cable are also approved for flexible cords so that is what I use instead of the clap provided.

Curt

[This message has been edited by caselec (edited 01-08-2003).]
Posted By: lighthouse Re: New Dryer Wiring - 01/08/03 04:28 AM
curt..a guess i was thinking about the old 3 cond cords.thank's ..your right about the connector.crap...good night...
Posted By: pauluk Re: New Dryer Wiring - 01/08/03 12:54 PM
I certainly think that those instructions could be made clearer, and that the first lot should mention the fact that when changing from 3-w to 4-w that the strap needs to be removed.

I think that terms such as "neutral grounding wire" will also be very confusing to the average person. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: New Dryer Wiring - 01/08/03 02:55 PM
[Linked Image]

This is from a Range that is mis-wired in the same fashion as we are discussing with Dryers. Both Dryers and Ranges come from the Factory setup for 3 wire hookup with the Neutral bonded to the Frame somehow. The Manufacturer's instructions (above) are somewhat lacking in detail or clarity. The 'Warning' Lists should mention removal of the bond somehow, but they don't.

[Linked Image]

This is the same Range (new wire for other reasons) with the bonding strap removed as it should be.

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 01-08-2003).]
Posted By: C-H Re: New Dryer Wiring - 01/08/03 07:43 PM
Why does the range or dryer use a neutral? I mean, if you can run 240V ranges and dryers without neutral in the rest of the world: Why not in North America? It would seem the simplest way of solving the problem. Is this perhaps one of those: "But, we've always done it this way?"
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: New Dryer Wiring - 01/08/03 07:50 PM
C-H,

On the Dryer 240v is used for the Heating Element, but the Motor, Light is 120v. the Ranges have Lights and Clocks that operate at 120v and Heating Elements at 240v.

Bill
Posted By: C-H Re: New Dryer Wiring - 01/08/03 07:54 PM
The light on the dryer? That must be one of those fancy features only found in America [Linked Image] Why is the motor 120V?
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: New Dryer Wiring - 01/08/03 08:01 PM
Hmm,

Maybe there is no light in a Dryer. I get confused sometimes [Linked Image] Why is the Motor 120v? I don't know. We also have Dryers that operate on 120v and use Gas for Heat. So maybe the same motors are used just for ease of manufacturing.

Bill

Posted By: C-H Re: New Dryer Wiring - 01/08/03 08:25 PM
The dual use of the motor sound like a plausible explantion.
Posted By: mamills Re: New Dryer Wiring - 01/08/03 10:14 PM
Regarding the 120/240v connection for an electric dryer, doesn't the timer motor require 120v. for operation as well?

Mike (mamills)
Posted By: pauluk Re: New Dryer Wiring - 01/08/03 10:42 PM
That rewire pictured above has also put proper lugs on for the wires -- Nice touch!

The barely-held strands on the first attempt looks all too familiar. I've seen similar connections on ranges here where the washers have been lost and somebody just tries to clamp the wire under the nut as best they can.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: New Dryer Wiring - 01/08/03 11:24 PM
Mike,

I don't know about the Timer. I've never really dug into Appliances.

Paul,

These Lugs are also rated for connection to Aluminum wire and often used for that reason (to connect directly to existing Aluminum wiring).

Bill

Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: New Dryer Wiring - 01/09/03 12:55 AM
C-H,

Coincidentally, we've been in need of a new Dryer and I went to pick one out tonight.
And, ... it's got a Light [Linked Image] inside it! .. [Linked Image]

Paul,

I found a picture of another Label that is a bit better I think, at showing what has to be done:

[Linked Image]

Bill
Posted By: Bjarney Re: New Dryer Wiring - 01/09/03 01:36 AM
Some electric clothes dryers are intended to be optionally powered with 115 volts on the heating element at reduced power, via a hot-to-neutral jumper on the connection block. A nominal 5kW @ 230V element will produce 1.25kW @ 115V.

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 01-08-2003).]
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: New Dryer Wiring - 01/09/03 02:49 AM
Any particular reason for hardwiring this? I would usually install a receptacle and cord.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: New Dryer Wiring - 01/09/03 03:18 AM
EScott,

No particular reason. It's just the way it's been done for a long time in this area. Ranges, Dryers and Dishwashers have been mostly all Hardwired in the past. It's just recently that Receptacles/Cord & Plugs are coming into Fashion. This is probably due to the Fact that the people delivering Appliances now will not (or are told not to) disconnect/reconnect hardwired appliances anymore. Just this year I put in my first-ever Receptacle for a Dishwasher because of this. I don't even remember ever seeing one before.

Bill
Posted By: pauluk Re: New Dryer Wiring - 01/09/03 01:56 PM
Ah! Now that label gives a much better guide to the layman. [Linked Image]

Ranges in the U.K. are hardwired, as are dryers over 3kW (rare in residential work). Washers/dishwashers and smaller dryers may be hardwired, but are most often fed through our standard 13A receptacle/plug combination.
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: New Dryer Wiring - 01/10/03 06:28 AM
www.joetedesco.com

[This message has been edited by Joe Tedesco (edited 04-09-2003).]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: New Dryer Wiring - 01/10/03 06:41 AM
The Photos shown are actually of a Range with #6 stranded wiring (as it states below the first picture). I didn't have any pictures of actual Dryer wiring, so I used the Range pictures because of the similarity in hookup. Ranges and Dryer connections are very similar in appearance and need the same modifications done to accept a 4 wire cable or cord.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] My new Dryer is coming tomorrow and I can take some pictures of that.

Bill
Posted By: Scotts Re: New Dryer Wiring - 01/10/03 03:19 PM
To someone in Ohio,

Log on and join in. Many of us here are not electricians and all types are welcome here. If you dont't believe me check out some of the other threads.

It don't cost you nothin' and maybe you can help us find where the Jackalope roam.

Scott
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: New Dryer Wiring - 01/13/03 12:42 AM
Is this clothes dryer wiring incorrect (never mind the strain-relief that isn't doing a thing)?

[Linked Image from 65.108.216.53]
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: New Dryer Wiring - 01/13/03 01:04 AM
ThinkGood,

Connections look right for a 3 wire hookup, assuming the green wire has not been cut or disconnected inside.

Bill
Posted By: Gwz Re: New Dryer Wiring - 01/13/03 01:29 AM
Where is that green wire going to or coming from ?

If this dryer cord is for the EXISTING 3W plug and receptacle, then maybe that green wire should be attached to the Grounded Conductor terminal.

Read the installation instructions.

Is that white area metal?
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: New Dryer Wiring - 01/13/03 03:27 AM
This is "existing", and the white area is metal.

I thought the green wire should be going to the center screw, but this is how it was when I looked at it.

As to where the green wire is going to/coming from, I'm not sure...

[This message has been edited by ThinkGood (edited 01-12-2003).]
Posted By: caselec Re: New Dryer Wiring - 01/13/03 03:41 AM
The green wire is the factory installed bonding jumper between the neutral and the frame. The other end of it is connected to the center screw on the terminal strip but you can't see it from the picture because its connected on the back side. If a 4-wire cord is used then this green wire needs to be disconnected from the frame screw and taped up or many instructions tell you to connect it to the center terminal with the neutral wire which connects it to itself.

Curt
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: New Dryer Wiring - 01/13/03 04:15 AM
Thanks, Curt!
Posted By: pauluk Re: New Dryer Wiring - 01/19/03 03:01 PM
Bill,
In your "before" picture of the range wiring with #6 conductors, it's obivous that it's bad wiring, but would this be a violation of 110.14(A) ('02 NEC) ?

110.14 (A) Terminals. Connection of conductors to terminal parts shall ensure a thoroughly good connection without damaging the conductors and shall be made by means of pressure connectors (including set-screw type), solder lugs, or splices to flexible leads. Connection by means of wire-binding screws or studs and nuts that have upturned lugs or the equivalent shall be permitted for 10 AWG or smaller conductors.

That last sentence seems to imply that the stud/nut terminals on that range are not allowed to be used directly with anything larger than #10 wire.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: New Dryer Wiring - 01/19/03 04:02 PM
Paul,

That's the way I'd interpret that too. I didn't think of it being a code violation specifically, just that it obviously is not a good connection. Boy, you're really getting into that Codebook over there! [Linked Image]

Bill

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 01-19-2003).]
Posted By: pauluk Re: New Dryer Wiring - 01/20/03 05:08 PM
Yep -- I keep dipping into it when I get a few minutes to spare!

If our interpretation of that last sentence is what was actually intended, I would have thought that it could have been made a little more explicit.

Something such as: "shall be permitted only for 10 AWG or smaller conductors" or "shall not be permitted for conductors larger than 10 AWG."
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: New Dryer Wiring - 01/21/03 01:30 AM
Paul,

I think in this case it would be best if it also specified solid conductors.

Bill
© ECN Electrical Forums