ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Opinions requested - 12/08/02 06:41 AM
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
This is a "rescue" job. The 3/4" and 1" PVC stub ups were jacked out of square with the wall and some broken during the concrete pour. The inspector suggested this as the best option to salvage the installation.

Opinions/critique welcome.
- Fred
Posted By: pauluk Re: Opinions requested - 12/08/02 10:05 AM
It would have been nice if the conduits extended neatly up to the gutter, but given the situation, I guess this makes the best of a bad job.

I'm just wondering if there could have been a way to put a deeper gutter down at floor level. ????
Posted By: Joe Tedesco Re: Opinions requested - 12/08/02 03:03 PM
What type of fitting was used at the transition, and are they listed for this use? See 300.15.

I would also add support between the gutter and floor.
Posted By: resqcapt19 Re: Opinions requested - 12/08/02 04:33 PM
You may have a derating issue if there are more than 30 current carrying conductors. See 366.7.
I think I would have looked at installing the gutter directly on top of the conduits comming out of the floor with the gutter opening up to make it easier to pull wire. If I did this I would try to make sure that the conduit beween the gutter and the panel did not exceed 24" to avoid additional derating.
Don
Posted By: Fred Re: Opinions requested - 12/08/02 05:45 PM
The fittings are a PVC female adapter glued on the PVC with an EMT connector screwed in. De-rating is not a factor as each of these 3/4" conduits are for one set of conductors each. They are for dedicated circuits for special equipment and the 3/4" conduits will have (4)#10 THWN and the 1" will have (3) #8 and (1) #10 in it. All other conduits/circuits will be overhead runs. There are (2) more panels to be mounted above the gutter. The feeders from the 400A MDP will run through the gutter to DP1 and DP2. The panels and gutter are mounted on a wall with 1" OSB and (2) layers of 5/8" sheet rock between them and the stud faces. The EMT from the PVC to the gutter measures 26".
Posted By: CTwireman Re: Opinions requested - 12/08/02 05:46 PM
Isn't this PVC subject to physical damage?

Shouldn't the stub-ups be RMC? I don't think I've ever seen PVC stubbed up like this...always rigid.
Posted By: Fred Re: Opinions requested - 12/08/02 05:51 PM
Correction: The distance from the concrete to the bottom of the gutter is 26". The EMT length is 22".
Joe, can PVC transition to EMT using a PVC female adapter to an EMT connector? The inspector, who suggested this course of action, said it was an approved method and challenged me to show him where it wasn't.
Posted By: caselec Re: Opinions requested - 12/08/02 06:40 PM
I probably would have used a larger gutter just to make pulling or feeding a little easier.
You should run a piece of strut behind the EMT.
I agree with CTwireman on the physical damage possibility of the PVC.

Curt
Posted By: Fred Re: Opinions requested - 12/08/02 08:15 PM
The equipment pictured is located in the garage/storage area of an animal clinic. What physical damage do you forsee the PVC being subject to?
Posted By: ElectricAL Re: Opinions requested - 12/08/02 10:39 PM
Fred,

Carlon lists their plastic female adapter
For adapting nonmetallic conduits to threaded fittings, metallic systems. Female threads on one end, socket end on other.
So, yes, the fitting is listed for use as the inspector claims.

Al

[This message has been edited by ElectricAL (edited 12-08-2002).]
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Opinions requested - 12/10/02 03:27 AM
Fred,
Is there any way to add support to the PVC-EMT adaption point (below or above)?

Adding strut or anything to add support would aid in helping the PVC hold up to abuse. (you knew that already, Mr. Obvious strikes again...Doh!)

"rescue" job... I've coined another term! (or am I claiming it with selective amnesia?)

[Linked Image]

As far as damage, if it's a storage area, it will be abused.

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 12-09-2002).]
Posted By: Fred Re: Opinions requested - 12/10/02 03:31 AM
I may add Unistrut between the wall and the EMT for more support. The gutter is secured to the wall via 5/16" x 3" lags through the 1x6, sheetrock and OSB. It's already pretty solid.
Thanks for all the suggestions. I really appreciate it!
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Opinions requested - 12/11/02 12:57 AM
What about building a form and pouring concrete just the height of the PVC fittings, out about 2 inches from the raceways? The "curb" might protect the PVC stubs from an errant hand truck or crazed bread rack.
Posted By: John Steinke Re: Opinions requested - 12/13/02 01:12 AM
I like it- a pretty job. Sure, a piece of strut, or other support to the pipe within 18" of the gutter would be nice- but that's being picky.
Posted By: Todd Hickman Re: Opinions requested - 12/13/02 03:50 AM
Fred, the job looks just fine. You don't need to support the conduits coming up from the floor because the distance is under 3'. I pesonally would have though. And as far as the PVC coming up through the pour thats legal also, although maybe next time you should use rigid metal sweeps for added protection. And guys stop busting on the man, the work is neet and to code, we all know there 100 different ways to have done that differently. Good job Fred,
Posted By: Fred Re: Opinions requested - 12/13/02 07:31 PM
PVC stub ups from slabs are quite common around here. There is a baracade required in front of service equipment so I don't think damage is a concern.
© ECN Electrical Forums