ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Do it yourself PVC - 09/21/02 04:40 AM
Forwarded by Joe Tedesco:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Found this home made PVC condulet on a communications building in the California Desert. Why buy what you need when you can make it!

-Bob H.

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 09-21-2002).]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Do it yourself PVC - 09/23/02 06:35 AM
Just a tad confused, here,what is a condulet?, I have never seen a conduit fitting like this before, but I could see where it could come in handy.
Posted By: nesparky Re: Do it yourself PVC - 09/23/02 08:58 AM
Trumpy
A condulet is a fitting used for various purposes usually to change direction of a conduit run. They allow conduit to run closer to a building and to get into places the a bent 90 degree elbow just would not fit. There are various types of conulets. They are not made to be drilled for a conduit entry. They are supposed to have conduit enter them only at the factory made inlets.
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Do it yourself PVC - 09/23/02 03:01 PM
To add a bit..

One of it's main purposes is to allow access or add pull points to a closed conduit system. The face cover is removable.

Bill
Posted By: Trainwire Re: Do it yourself PVC - 09/23/02 03:37 PM
I am not completely convinced that this is homemade. The fillet between the pipe connector and the body of the condolet, is too smooth and even to be field made, the block on the end hole, is perfectly aligned with the body of the condulet, like the factory put it there. Take the cover off, and see if there are threads inside where the pipe comes in.

Trainwire
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Do it yourself PVC - 09/23/02 03:46 PM
I agree. It looks too good to be home-made.
Posted By: Redsy Re: Do it yourself PVC - 09/23/02 03:54 PM
ALthough it does look good, the ridges on the "field installed" hub tell me it is a male adaptor (connector).
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Do it yourself PVC - 09/23/02 11:06 PM
Yup, good eye, Redsy... (Uh, now that you mention it)

Man, you do notice detail!
Posted By: AVCBOB1 Re: Do it yourself PVC - 09/24/02 01:08 AM
Although I am sure it was a field mod, next time I'm at the site I'll take a look inside.
Posted By: Mike_Riverside Re: Do it yourself PVC - 09/25/02 02:47 AM
looks like the heads on the screws are cut off...
Posted By: mamills Re: Do it yourself PVC - 09/25/02 02:37 PM
I may be doing a lot of assuming here, but... assuming that there is a conduit fitting (similar to the others shown in the pix), and of the same length, extending into the back of this condulet, the wires inside must be in a pretty nasty pinch between the edge of the conduit and the condulet cover (perhaps with no bushing on the conduit at all).

[Linked Image]

Was the cover cracked and cemented back together?

Mike (mamills)
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Do it yourself PVC - 09/26/02 01:17 AM
We have all kinds of conduit bodies—LB, LL, LR, C, T, TB. What about calling it a "Z" fitting—or ZL or ZB? {I swear I saw an “LF” once.}
© ECN Electrical Forums