ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin A "Temporary" Fix? - 03/25/02 01:53 AM
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
This is a "temporary" fix for a bad underground service. Been there at least 2 years I know of! No connector, runs right in the open top of the socket.

Take care,
John
Posted By: NoShorts4Me Re: A "Temporary" Fix? - 03/25/02 02:36 AM
Looks like a PG&E job. They are notorious for this.

NS4M
Posted By: Admin Re: A "Temporary" Fix? - 03/26/02 03:16 AM
[Linked Image]
Here's another. Found this in a motel laundry. There was a second panel to the left of this one!

- J.
Posted By: motor-T Re: A "Temporary" Fix? - 03/30/02 01:38 AM
Yeah this is a good one, This looks like the work of three people, Curly, Larry and Moe.
Posted By: NonLinearLoad Re: A "Temporary" Fix? - 03/30/02 04:21 AM
HEY!!!what do mean temp?They all look this good when we get done. There's protection on those wires!!!!
Posted By: shortcircuit1 Re: A "Temporary" Fix? - 04/16/02 03:17 AM
At least they thought about weather proofing..
Posted By: Bjarney Re: A "Temporary" Fix? - 04/16/02 04:25 AM
At least the netting will save the mosquitos from electrocution. [Don't know about fire ants.]
Posted By: mamills Re: A "Temporary" Fix? - 04/16/02 10:28 PM
Bjarney:
I have learned that ABSOLUTELY NOTHING can deter fire ants. They cause terrible problems here in Southeast Texas. I replaced a contactor on my Air Conditioner condenser unit a couple of summers ago because of these things. I haven't the slightest idea what draws them to electrical equipment.

Mike (mamills)
Posted By: Bjarney Re: A "Temporary" Fix? - 04/17/02 12:44 AM
I can't speak for fire ants, but little critters like earwigs and pillbugs seem to be drawn to silver in contacts, to the point of suicide squished under mating pairs of contacts. I'll bet more than a few contactors and water-pump pressure switches have been replaced without looking for or knowing about a flattened little pest.
Posted By: jes Re: A "Temporary" Fix? - 09/10/02 12:42 AM
There really are miracles...
Hapened to notice this weekend that the 'temporary' service had been removed. Must have installed a new underground because the same meter socket is in place.
Posted By: Trainwire Re: A "Temporary" Fix? - 09/11/02 10:33 AM
Something that was touted around here as a fix for the bugs in the contactor problem, is to use a flea collar, cut the metel clip off, and then put it into the contactor space. Don't know how well it deters the far ants, but it's worth a try.

Trainwire
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: A "Temporary" Fix? - 09/12/02 06:46 PM
Whoa, those fireants are quite mean...
http://fireant.ifas.ufl.edu/
Posted By: sparky Re: A "Temporary" Fix? - 09/13/02 01:04 AM
all ants and variuous pests aside, can someone define 'temporary' for the threads sake here?
Posted By: John Steinke Re: A "Temporary" Fix? - 09/13/02 02:21 AM
NEC defines "temporary" as 90 days or less. 305-3B in the '99 version.
© ECN Electrical Forums