ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin USE Cable - No Conduit! - 10/09/01 08:53 PM
[Linked Image]
Another example of why a licensed electrician should be required to do anything more than changing a light bulb.

Thanks,
Kevin Duke
Posted By: sparky Re: USE Cable - No Conduit! - 10/09/01 10:41 PM
swwweeet !
Posted By: Redsy Re: USE Cable - No Conduit! - 10/10/01 12:29 PM
WOW!!

Where is this?
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: USE Cable - No Conduit! - 10/10/01 05:57 PM
Thanks Kevin!

Does anyone still use meterpans like this in their areas for new installs?

Our Utility (Lipa - was Lilco) has required us to use 200A OH/UG meterpans w/manual bypass. We have to use the same for 100, 150, or 200A. I notice that our pans (or cans by you?) have the neutral connection out of the 'drip zone'(center) and on the side. I think that was a very good design change and was wondering if others had that feature?

Bill
Posted By: kduke Re: USE Cable - No Conduit! - 10/10/01 07:39 PM
This was an existing SE built with 200 amp (2/0 cu) line side and 100 amp SEC load side of the meter socket. The customer (I work for Alliant Energy in SE Iowa)wanted to upgrade to a 200 amp load panel and do it himself, since an electrician costs too much. Using a licensed electrician would have saved him money in the end. New meter sockets in our area now require horned bypass on residential, and a lever bypass on commercial.
Posted By: ElectricAL Re: USE Cable - No Conduit! - 10/12/01 03:55 AM
In central Minnesota Xcel Energy (formerly Northern States Power) requires a manual bypass in all meter sockets (here it's a "socket") whether residential or commercial. In the generic single phase configuration, the neutral is directly under the hub location.

Al
Posted By: bordew Re: USE Cable - No Conduit! - 11/02/01 06:21 PM
Bill
We still use those but we usually put a cover on them, and are required to bond the service Panel. The ones with c/o are reserved for commercial.
I have seen some schlocck installations but this has got to be a classicc.
Posted By: circuit man Re: USE Cable - No Conduit! - 11/07/01 02:23 AM
talk about dangerous! one wrong move with a mower,"KERBOOM". did the power company actually hook this up?
Posted By: KJ Re: USE Cable - No Conduit! - 12/30/01 03:03 PM
just wondering when they allowed tape, tywraps, and telephone wires to be adequate support and protection for conductors...
Posted By: Hookman Re: USE Cable - No Conduit! - 02/18/02 09:43 AM
CONDUIT!!! we don't need no stinkin conduit. man that is an original. goin to have to show that to my new class as what not to ever do.
Posted By: klein man Re: USE Cable - No Conduit! - 04/02/02 01:20 AM
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! WHAT IN THE HELL!!!!!!!!!!!! Now Now Now Now, I know!! we've all had those crazy visions of WHAT it would look like without any CONDUIT!!! But COME ON!!! My 5 year old SON knows better than this!!
Posted By: mamills Re: USE Cable - No Conduit! - 04/02/02 02:53 PM
Aw, C'mon!! Give credit where credit is due...at least they used bushings on the nipple in the bottom of the meter can... [Linked Image]

Seriously though, Kevin...what is the thing that the wires pass through to enter the building? From the pic it looks like the corner of a basement window.

Mike (mamills)
Posted By: electure Re: USE Cable - No Conduit! - 04/03/02 12:47 AM
Wow, guys!
Here, any resi 200A or less goes to the meter socket, and right out of the meter socket to the main c/b. (Usually in an "All-in-one" service)
Is this required by your serving utility?
Posted By: joeh20 Re: USE Cable - No Conduit! - 04/09/02 08:39 AM
Maybe he was going to back fill up to the bottom of the meter base. It is afterall underground wire ain't it. He just wasn't through yet huh.
Posted By: Dude123084 Re: USE Cable - No Conduit! - 04/18/02 01:03 AM
I saw a house that had 30 amp 120 volt wires coming from the pole to the house (only 2 wires). The neutral wire was connected to one, and the red and black hots were connected to the other. (may i mention that they used electrical tape with western union splices.) The service wire then went to a meter then to his breaker box. The man living ther wired it himself without a building permit or inspection. he said he was shocked a few times. He's lucky to be alive. Oh yes, he said he also used speaker wire in a few places because he ran out of romex.
Posted By: 4thYearApprentice Re: USE Cable - No Conduit! - 07/13/02 03:29 AM
I knew that NEC instructor was full of it. He told us we were to use 2" PVC for that.
This way seems so much faster! Quanity not quality!
Posted By: mlk682 Re: USE Cable - No Conduit! - 08/03/03 09:25 PM
This is what happens when you use non-UV and cellular Pvc on a job.

Wonder what it looks like inside.....
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: USE Cable - No Conduit! - 08/03/03 11:47 PM
To my non-electrician eyes, it appears that this DIY'er was not yet finished. Obviously, a very important detail was left out:
[Linked Image from 65.108.216.53]

Bill:
Looks like this posting alone picked up about 5 new members of the BBS [Linked Image]

Here in North NJ, the meter base that is pictured is similar to what my next-door neighbor just had installed. (They did use conduit, however.)

kduke:

How many ground rods did they use, and how are they connected? (They did use them, right?) I see a smaller conductor entering on the far right of the meter base...??

P. S. What is a "horned bypass?"

P. P. S. Now, if they had used one of these , maybe it would have made things a little better...

[This message has been edited by ThinkGood (edited 08-03-2003).]
Posted By: Speedy Petey Re: USE Cable - No Conduit! - 09/02/03 12:06 AM
C'mon, none of you have seen invisible conduit before?!?
Posted By: iwire Re: USE Cable - No Conduit! - 09/02/03 12:20 AM
I haven't seen it, but I have been charged for it by the supply house. [Linked Image]
Posted By: circuit man Re: USE Cable - No Conduit! - 09/02/03 11:48 PM
[Linked Image]oh so that's what's on that wire,invisible conduit. should be a big seller! [Linked Image]
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: USE Cable - No Conduit! - 09/03/03 01:45 AM
With that invisible meter, they should save a lot of $ on their electric bill, also...
Posted By: PCBelarge Re: USE Cable - No Conduit! - 09/05/03 12:15 AM
This guy is way ahead of you guys! He has taken care of heat dissipation and conduit fill in one easy move.

Pierre
© ECN Electrical Forums