ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Broken Cross Beam - 06/23/01 02:05 AM
[Linked Image]

A 19.9KV Delta line is touching a guy wire after a cross beam broke. No arcing, no opening of the OCPD. All guys apear to be bonded to the GC.

I called in to the PoCo immediately, gave the the location and pole #. The guys terminated in a yard across the street, attached first to a telephone pole.

The lower lines are 4160/7200 WYE, and a 120/240V service triplex is visible.

Has it simply changed it to a corner grounded delta 19.9KV?

-Virgil
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Broken Cross Beam - 06/23/01 02:42 AM
What are those dark spots on each guy?

My guess is that this guy is not bonded.

[Linked Image]
Some guys claim to be bonded, but actually aren't; they have no liability insurance at all.

[This message has been edited by Dspark (edited 06-22-2001).]
Posted By: sparky Re: Broken Cross Beam - 06/23/01 10:03 AM
My area has a # of 'condemed' poles still in service, some have held this classification for years. Many times they will go unaddressed until i (or other sparky's) come along to do a service upgrade, then the fertilizer hits the ventilator....
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Broken Cross Beam - 06/23/01 12:42 PM
The guys appear to be bonded together on the telephone pole across the street. Please take my word for it; I tried to get a picture of the other pole to prove that the bonds did exist, but my camera sucks.

Not to be nitpicky (consider the source) but a bond differs from liability insurance, but the joke was appreciated anyway...

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 06-23-2001).]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Broken Cross Beam - 06/23/01 07:05 PM
But if those are insulators about 4' out on the guys, what then?
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Broken Cross Beam - 06/24/01 01:12 AM
Took a closer look today... You're absolutely right. In the sunshine, the fiberglass(?) rods before the turnbuckle became easier to see. The beam had been repaired, but I'm certain nothing else was changed.

I guess that's why they put them there!

Hey, gimme a break... I'm a post-meter guy!
This stuff is outta my league big time...
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Broken Cross Beam - 06/24/01 01:41 AM
Hey, gimme a break...
Hey, no problem.

Based on your description there were about two possibilities: Either the line was not energized or the guy was not bonded. The latter seemed more likely (especially with that bright yellow sleeve [Linked Image]).

The man who decided to insulate it should get a gold star. And you also should get a star for reporting the damage.
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Broken Cross Beam - 06/24/01 02:25 AM
Pardon while I digress a little here...

So, an "ungrounded" 19.9 KV Delta still has
11,489 Volts potential to ground...or???

Where does the Grounded Conductor on the subbed 7200/4160 Wye system originate, and how does it relate to the 19.9 KV lines?

How does a corner grounded Delta keep from shorting?

Sorry to be so elementary, but hey, I'm trying to learn more about it here...

Even though I should probably move this to the theory section, I still think it relates to my original question. Excuse my laziness!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: glenn35 Re: Broken Cross Beam - 07/21/01 07:16 AM
OK , first off the part that the line is lying on is a fiberglass rod called a "guy strain insulator". And it looks like it has done its job!

Secondly if that is Delta then you are allowed one ground. At least I guess it would be the same for primary as it is for secondaries. Just guessing. All I have ever worked on was WYE when it comes to primary voltage. Unless you consider 2400/4160 primary. I do not.
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Broken Cross Beam - 07/21/01 01:26 PM
In fairness to my intelligence, I would like to point out that these fiberglass rods are white/grey NOT bright orange or yellow. If they had been orange or yellow, it would have been obvious.

I have heard of corner grounded delta, and was wondering if one could inadvertently ground any leg without things blowing up...

2400/4160? I believe it's 7200/4160, but I could be in err.

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 07-21-2001).]
Posted By: glenn35 Re: Broken Cross Beam - 07/23/01 06:28 AM
Originally posted by sparky66wv:
In fairness to my intelligence, I would like to point out that these fiberglass rods are white/grey [b]NOT bright orange or yellow. If they had been orange or yellow, it would have been obvious.

I have heard of corner grounded delta, and was wondering if one could inadvertently ground any leg without things blowing up...

2400/4160? I believe it's 7200/4160, but I could be in err.

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 07-21-2001).][/B]

Sparky,
Yes they are sky grey when new but then after the sun gets to them for a few years they turn white and get very splintery.(hate that glass)

Yea 2400/4160. That is one of our secondary voltages in mostly older areas of town that feed some water/sewer plants and some factories. It can be either WYE or Delta. If its wired WYE then the cust gets 4 wire 4160Y/2400. If delta he gets 3 wire 2400.

As far as grounding a phase 3Ø 3 wire svc, yes you can. You are allowed ONE ground. But a word of caution is that you had better be dang sure that it is not already grounded by some means and you try and ground ANOTHER phase [Linked Image]. When we phase two 3 wire 480 svc's together then the only way is to place a temp jumper between the two svc's before phasing can be attempted. The reason for the jumper is because the two services do not have ANYTHING in common that ties them together. There is no neutral or a common tie. Was pretty scary the first time I ever phased 480. Was kinda leary about placing a jumper between two phases of 480 [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by glenn35 (edited 07-23-2001).]
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Broken Cross Beam - 07/23/01 06:08 PM
>In fairness to my intelligence
I hope you realize that if you make telling color a measure of intelligence, I'm the one who gets the failing score...
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Broken Cross Beam - 07/24/01 12:57 AM
In Dspark's defense, I'll also say that I've seen yellow/orange ones, and the JPEG compression makes the color a little ambiguous...
Posted By: Anonymous Re: Broken Cross Beam - 07/24/01 01:48 AM
Hey, thanks! I wasn't taking it personally or anything. If you want to come to my defense some place that really counts, how about that 180° out of phase topic?
Posted By: Dude123084 Re: Broken Cross Beam - 04/18/02 01:27 AM
I have a pole near my house where one wire is off of the crossbeam, but it is still on the insulator (actally, the crossbeam isn't there anymore). I called my utility co a few times, they did nothing. it's just there, swaying in the wind. it'll probably be like that for a few more years before it's fixed.
Posted By: sparky Re: Broken Cross Beam - 04/20/02 12:26 AM
around here they 'condem' old poles, put a red tag on em' and generally wait for them to fall over........
© ECN Electrical Forums