ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Working Clearances Too - 04/30/01 02:10 AM
[Linked Image]
Submitted by Tom
Working clearance violation is the least of the problems here. Panel is shown as it was found. The ceiling tile is 10' above finished floor. What is hard to see is what appears to be a black cable at the bottom left corner of the panelboard. It is actually some #8 THHN with a heavy layer of tape that runs into the open end of a conduit just out of sight to the left. I'll leave it to others to spot the rest of the violations.

Tom
Posted By: sparky Re: Working Clearances Too - 05/02/01 12:48 AM
man......

as many times as i see these things , it always sets you back stratchin' your head wondering who the guy with the brain tumor was.

is this in a convience store Tom ?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Working Clearances Too - 05/02/01 02:06 AM
Please don't tell me that this feeds the gas pumps!
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Working Clearances Too - 05/02/01 02:39 AM
Looks like someone recycled a panel here (by the 2 in. ko's) Is that an FPE panel? Can't really make out too many details inside.

Bill
Posted By: electure Re: Working Clearances Too - 05/02/01 02:44 AM
I don't suppose those holes in the top are for ventilation, being that you should get plenty of air by leaving the cover off like that. This is sick looking.
Posted By: Tom Re: Working Clearances Too - 05/02/01 11:23 PM
Lovely, ain't it?

Actually, it is a Square D panel, it is recycled and is located in the social quarters (better known as a bar) of a fraternal organization.

I think we've picked on convenience stores enough for awhile. I wish I had pictures from the local fire department. Myself & 2 volunteer helpers straigtened it out a couple of years ago, I had 46 man hours in it & some of the work was so bad that the above picture looks good in comparison.

Bill, you really don't want to make out too many details on the inside. Typical 2 & 3 conductors in one terminal.

I've got a couple more working clearance pictures & I'll post them next week.

Tom
Posted By: cinkerf Re: Working Clearances Too - 05/05/01 01:14 PM
I'd like to focus on location of Panelboard. Are panelboards permitted to be located above a suspended ceiling?

Frank (cinkerf)
Posted By: sparky Re: Working Clearances Too - 05/05/01 03:21 PM
oh oh, Frank wants us to think! [Linked Image] , good call !

ok, 384, nothing

240-24
hmmmmmm , what's the intent here ???? [Linked Image]
Posted By: Tom Re: Working Clearances Too - 05/05/01 10:17 PM
Frank is on the right track. See 380-8(a) This is definitely too high.

240-24 is also a good call, see the definition of readily accessible.

110-12 for the unplugged holes, includes time clock on right.

Working space- the ceiling grid is in the way as is the wall that barely shows in the picture (left side), conduit that is between the panel & time clock, liquidtight flex on left side of panel. 110-26(a)(1), 110-26(a)(2),110-26(a)(3), a case can be made for 110-26(d) and 110-26(f)(1)(a). Whew.

As for the #8's & the tape job to the conduit, 300-10.

Had enuf?

Tom
Posted By: sparky Re: Working Clearances Too - 05/05/01 10:48 PM
uncle!
Posted By: cinkerf Re: Working Clearances Too - 05/06/01 02:00 PM
Just another illustration showing the importance of electrical inspections.
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Working Clearances Too - 05/08/01 03:10 AM
One could perhaps argue against 380-8 if the CB's aren't being used as switches... at least that's the way I interpret it.

But, I completely agree with the rest...

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 05-07-2001).]
© ECN Electrical Forums