ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Virgil Comes Clean (part 2) - 04/29/01 10:34 PM
[Linked Image]
The service drop is 8 ft. off the ground. Ironically the Grounded Conductor is the highest one... The PoCo and Inspection requirements make this a financial disaster... the trumpet vines are an interesting touch... All natural GEC?

Tomorrow I must concern myself with just getting the toilet to flush.... I hate plumbing... I won't show a pic of that... I do have some morals...

Virgil

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 04-29-2001).]
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Virgil Comes Clean (part 2) - 04/30/01 03:28 AM
You can't see it very well, but the volt probe detects "hot"...
Posted By: sparky Re: Virgil Comes Clean (part 2) - 05/02/01 12:54 AM
Virgil;
why the separation of conductors? Doesn't PoCo use triplex drops?

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by sparky (edited 05-01-2001).]
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Virgil Comes Clean (part 2) - 05/02/01 01:20 AM
Yeah, they use triplex now, but not 50 years ago when this was installed.

5 months ago, an upgrade to 200A would not have required a feed-thru disco, additional ground rod, and ubiquitous $75 inspector visit.

Could've gotten underground at no extra charge, too. Now the customer owns the drop/lateral.

My panel is within 25 feet of the meterbase, so by NEC a disco isn't required. The Poco requires a feedthru disco on anything that is not back-to-back. I agree that it's a great idea, but prohibitively more expensive...

So my choice is to live with it for now...
It's more cost effective to take the risks, which is a problem I've been trying to describe in other posts as well. I'm not the only homeowner around here "forced" into this decision... just more educated in the electrical field than most homeowners, so I'm more aware of the risk.
Posted By: sparky Re: Virgil Comes Clean (part 2) - 05/02/01 01:30 AM
i don't suppose you can just do a mast kit down to the existing meter?, or will the AHJ require all-or-nothing?

i suppose as an electrician you can wieght what the risks are, truth is we all do risk vs. $$$ everyday.

no offense, but i'd say a handmodeling carear would be questionable there Virgil [Linked Image]
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Virgil Comes Clean (part 2) - 05/02/01 02:05 AM
Knobby bony thing hunh!

Lots of sparky scars too..(from cuts, you guys know...)

If the meter is pulled for anything above a main breaker replacement, the AHJ must approve before the PoCo brings the juice back on.

I could do it all myself, my neighbor has a hot-stick! The Xfromer feeds my place and Mom's place, and she needs a new disco... Hmmm...(wheels are turning...)
Posted By: Bill Addiss Re: Virgil Comes Clean (part 2) - 05/06/01 01:47 PM
Sparky,

You're a Crude Dude! [Linked Image]

'66

Does the drop cross any driveways or roads?
What is the height there? Was this always like this or was there some modification or event that made it so low?

Bill
Posted By: sparky66wv Re: Virgil Comes Clean (part 2) - 05/07/01 02:30 AM
The drop is as originally installed.

It goes over a farming machinery access road/driveway. Should have 12 ft. minimum clearances, (I'd like to see 15') so the corn chopper doesn't snag it.

Failed to mention the bare conductors where the vines have deteriorated the insulation.

I've added 130C tape to the bare spots.

[This message has been edited by sparky66wv (edited 05-06-2001).]
© ECN Electrical Forums