ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin What's Wrong Here? - 12/12/10 09:45 PM
Is this area covered by the NEC?

Joe T.

[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: What's Wrong Here? - 12/13/10 03:34 AM
Dependent on the location of the utility point of connection, from there on...yes.

Looks like quite a few issues may be present, but...it's hard to determine from the pic.

Posted By: noderaser Re: What's Wrong Here? - 12/13/10 07:29 AM
Definitely a lot going on there, what's the story here?
Posted By: harold endean Re: What's Wrong Here? - 12/13/10 02:53 PM
Joe,

Is that you in the picture? Don't reach up or trip in there. it could be bad for your health!
Posted By: ghost307 Re: What's Wrong Here? - 12/13/10 03:48 PM
I'm guessing that we're looking at the original Service to the building and that you're standing on the roof of a later addition?

If so, I agree that there should be something in the Code to address stuff that is done in the reverse of the normal sequence of construction that people think of.

I've know of folks who wanted a garage when they had the house built, but changing the route of the overhead drop drove the cost up; so they bought the house without the garage and added it the next year. Almost no clearance for the wires, but no way to force them to fix it either.
Posted By: LarryC Re: What's Wrong Here? - 12/13/10 10:02 PM
How many services are there being fed by that free for all?
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: What's Wrong Here? - 12/16/10 02:50 AM
Without any details Joe T may have sent a guessing game.

We could make many assumptions; service or feeders, controlled industrial (OLD) locations, area/location without permits and inspections, violation of the good old six (6) switch rule, or........

edit: Joe T still using B&W pics? Or is that a clue?
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: What's Wrong Here? - 12/19/10 06:24 AM
Just how many different voltage systems are coming up here?? Typically (at least over here) the POCO will bring one drop and tap off of it to feed multiple meters. There's also a couple service entrances that are quite oversized for the size of the feeders coming out of them.
Seeing the prehistoric weatherheads and such I'm guessing this install to be from between 1900 & 1920's.
© ECN Electrical Forums