ECN Forum
Posted By: Bigplanz A couple of common violations around town - 08/17/09 07:51 AM
First one is at a Speedway gas station. Not sure where the line goes, but the flex has been yanked right out of the pole. Should have used something more robust.

Second is on the side of an apartment building in downtown Louisville. Some random person just decided to, oh, take a screw off a LB.

[Linked Image from stevelutzphoto.smugmug.com]

[Linked Image from stevelutzphoto.smugmug.com]

That first pic, the sealtite is, er was connected to the pole wit a PVC make adapter and it appears to be only 2 wires. wheres the ground?...and no, it is not under the pole. :P
Posted By: LarryC Re: A couple of common violations around town - 08/17/09 06:54 PM
That first pic, the sealtite is, er was connected to the pole wit a PVC make adapter and it appears to be only 2 wires.

Are those low voltage cables or line votage wires? They may have come up into the pole base and then went to another location.

Larry C
Let's look at 410.30....
One of the disregarded items when it comes to repairing of underground lighting circuits....

"(2) Where raceway risers or cable is not installed within the pole, a threaded fitting or nipple shall be brazed, welded, or attached to the pole opposite the handhole for the supply connection. "

The KO hole in the handhole may have been a previous patch job.

I usually trip over this situation while passing thru the lots to do another inspection; naturally...noone has a clue who did it, when, or why.

The landlord/owner has corrections made after a violation is issued.

I didn't have a pen tester with me to check if the lines were hot, but I assume they were. The one on the light pole was somewhat unusual. It looks almost like lamp cord, but surely it isn't. I didn't get close enough to get a good look. If I'd had a screw driver and screw with me, I would have put the cover plate back on the LB. I'll stick a screw driver and screw in my pocket the next time I'm headed over that way. I'll call in the broken sealtight to Metro Property Maintenance.
Perhaps the cable in the first picture is a Low Voltage cable, for a camera or speaker mounted somewhere up on the pole??

I think that PVC terminal adapter is not listed for the purpose. Matter of fact, I'm surprised that the flex didn't just pull out of the glued fitting before the TA snapped at the pole.
A proper sealtight fitting should be used.

That conduit body in the second pic appears to have been modified. Looks like an LB, that has had an extra port drilled into the side. Kinda of a cross between an LB and a T...
I thought the same thing. I'll bet that the missing screw was rusted and probably broke off when they were opening the cover. They probably kept it closed with a white cable tie that eventually failed due to sun rot. I see that stuff around gas stations all the time, especially when electrical connections were made for pay phones, vending machines, air pumps, etc. by unqualified people.
dont tell me youve never drilled your own hole in the side of a pull body, as long as u use gaskets on the locknut wheres the problem, listing?
Well, CRS, are the small matters of cable fill, bending radius, and -arguably- suitability for use.

Oddly enough, in such situations I have almost always been able to replace the conduit body with a proper box - with surprisingly little effort. If the job is a real nightmare, just use two boxes and another splice.

As far as that light pole goes, I have drilled and tapped 1/2NPT threads in several similar situations. I was not aware of the braze/weld requirement. I must stress, though, that you either need that metal to be really thick, or put lock nuts on both sides of the hole. I don't like doing this, simply because the pipe is generally then subject to damage.

I could go on for pages as to how I think poles should be wired ... and I have many pictures of various attempts to bring power to poles. I can't think of a better situation to illustrate the difference between 'good trade practice' and 'code minimum.' All I'll say at this point is that 'code minimum' installations are generally unable to be maintained or repaired.
For those wanting to know my preferred method of bringing power to a pole, click on this sketch:

[Linked Image from electrical-photos.com]
I prefer to keep my "in ground" boxes to a minimum, bringing the conduits directly into the poles.

It's not only more cost effective that way, the connections aren't underground.

I can appreciate the 'clean' results you get, and handholes certainly are expensive (Even a box store version will set you back $30). My way is just the result of too many gnarly repair jobs.

That is, I've had the power run be damaged many times, usually because the feed was simple UF, run just under the sod frown. With the small size of most handholes - and many poles lack even small handholes - making splices in the poles can be a challenge. Of course, if there is no 'sweep' going into the pole, there will be no way to re-pull the wires (either because of a sharp bend under the pole, or because of the concrete around the pole).

Often I'll encounter some attempt to use "Bell boxes" for the connections. I don't like the boxes when mounted on the side of the pole, because of support issues, vulnerability to damage, and difficulty in fishing wire. Placing a "Bell box" either in the ground, or in the concrete, is unsuitable for the same reasons, plus the added issues of corrosion, and the fact they fill with water and muck anyway.

Finally, I've encountered several instances of wires either shorting, or actually breaking, inside poles. Without a pull point nearby, you're in for a nasty job.

Between careless drivers, demented gardeners, and simple bad luck, pole lights are one instance where Murphy was an optomist. laugh
I think that PVC terminal adapter is not listed for the purpose. Matter of fact, I'm surprised that the flex didn't just pull out of the glued fitting before the TA snapped at the pole.
A proper sealtight fitting should be used.

I believe the reason glue on adapters are NOT listed for sealtite is because you can't remove them. I know if you do a good job of gluing them on they won't come off, even with 80 PSI of water pressure and flexing. (RNC, LNFC feeding a hose bib on a floating dock for the U/V protection)
The spa guys use "spa flex" that is basically white sealtite for spa plumbing. They do use primer tho.
© ECN Electrical Forums