ECN Forum
Posted By: pauluk The Indian Shower Trick - 07/22/08 07:30 PM

[Linked Image]

Found here: http://despacitoporlaindia.bloginom.com/entry.php?u=despacitoporlaindia&e_id=2015

"Donde esta el peligro" indeed! shocked

Posted By: TrimixLeccy Re: The Indian Shower Trick - 07/22/08 09:14 PM
I think they have the same leccy over in Egypt.They however favour the 'flying splice' or 'neat tape joint' just below the cable entry to the heater
Posted By: packrat56 Re: The Indian Shower Trick - 08/12/08 04:49 AM
gee that's scary
Posted By: Trumpy Re: The Indian Shower Trick - 08/12/08 04:56 AM
Hey,
It's got plastic hoses on the water connections and a switch on the socket-outlet, what more do you want?
Gee you people are tough to please.
Besides, that flex there would make a rather handy towel hanger.
[Linked Image]
Posted By: mickeybitsko Re: The Indian Shower Trick - 08/13/08 02:47 PM
People are so critical here. Look- there's a nice drip loop in the cord which also makes a handy "grab bar" in case you slip on the slick floor.
Posted By: pauluk Re: The Indian Shower Trick - 08/20/08 11:16 PM
You know, I was so preoccupied looking at the wiring, that I've only just noticed how that water heater is being held against the wall.

Better not hang too many towels on the cord, or use it as a hand-grab too often!
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: The Indian Shower Trick - 08/22/08 12:59 AM
Paul:
OK, I see what you saw now. Now I would really run away faster!
Posted By: Trumpy Re: The Indian Shower Trick - 08/22/08 10:34 AM
I wonder, how good is that sealant job, behind that wooden plate that holds the socket-outlet to the wall?
Usually one should use 732 RTV sealant, I'm sensing that corners may have been cut here.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: The Indian Shower Trick - 08/22/08 01:38 PM
Just a side note ....

In many ways, this arrangement is the norm in many "modern" parts of the world. Let me explain ......

First off, having the water heater literally hanging in the shower, as shown, is typical.

Having a switch is also typical .... that is what controls the water heater. That is, if left on, the water heater will ultimately start venting; there is no thermostat. You actually turn the thing on, wait a bit, then take your shower - turning it off as you exit.
However, the switch is more commonly mounted on the outside wall of the room, and often has a pilot light, letting you know its' on.
Having the switch right next to the heater is a new twist.

As is the receptacle; typically ordinary flex is used (not sealtight).

One detail not obvious in the picture is that the entire service is likely RCD (GFI) protected.
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: The Indian Shower Trick - 08/23/08 03:18 PM
Typically European water heaters are watertight on the electrical part, enough to be mounted directly inside the shower or above the bath tub. In this case they are hard wired though with all other electrical stuff are outside the wet area. The heater itself is probably 220-240V 1500W. The socket and switch inside the shower are close to suicide though...
Posted By: sparkyinak Re: The Indian Shower Trick - 08/23/08 03:32 PM
If it don't drop on one's head first...
Posted By: renosteinke Re: The Indian Shower Trick - 08/23/08 04:50 PM
Just because something is different doesn't make it bad ....

I've seen several of these water heaters fail. I've seen them wear out. I've seen them split. I've seen them rust through. What I've not seen is one that was not quite securely mounted.
Posted By: sparkyinak Re: The Indian Shower Trick - 08/23/08 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by renosteinke
Just because something is different doesn't make it bad ....

You obviously did not look at the picture... smile
Posted By: renosteinke Re: The Indian Shower Trick - 08/26/08 01:57 AM
As threatened earlier ...

Here's a pic from Israel:

[Linked Image]
Posted By: djk Re: The Indian Shower Trick - 08/27/08 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by Texas_Ranger
Typically European water heaters are watertight on the electrical part, enough to be mounted directly inside the shower or above the bath tub. In this case they are hard wired though with all other electrical stuff are outside the wet area. The heater itself is probably 220-240V 1500W. The socket and switch inside the shower are close to suicide though...

Instantaneous electric showers are common enough in the UK and Ireland (although I haven't seen them elsewhere in Europe)

The Irish wiring requirements for them are connection via a combined RCD/MCB (GFCI+Breaker) unit dedicated to that circuit only and not via the general RCB on the panel.

[Linked Image from housetohome.co.uk]

These units are typically 8 to 12kW

The 'wireless' electric shower is now increasingly popular though and it removes the heater pack out of the bathroom.

Personally, I much prefer the idea :

[Linked Image from tlc-direct.co.uk]

The shower in this case is located in the attic space above the bathroom

They also do wireless mixing valves to make installation of a shower easier without retiling [Linked Image from showerright.co.uk]

Can't say i'm a huge fan of these devices generally.

They were popularised in the UK and Ireland because many older houses did not have showers, rather they just had baths and they simplified the plumbing required to fit a shower.

That being said, they're perfectly safe as long as they're correctly installed.
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: The Indian Shower Trick - 08/31/08 09:20 PM
Not exactly instantaneous electric showers, but both traditional hot water tanks and tankless water heaters (usually 18 or 21kW, connected to 400V 32A) can be mounted very close to or even inside the shower. In Germany there is not even a requirement to have them RCD protected. In Austria tanks are usually connected to the general RCD (I don't know much about former TN areas where installs without RCD are still common, unlike the East where TT was always predominating), tankless electric are virtually unknown especially since there is virtually no service exceeding 35A 3 phase for single family homes or apartments, apartments (where such a heater might be of interest) usually even have only 25A single phase.
© ECN Electrical Forums