ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Wiring Practices - 05/23/07 10:55 PM
This was found at the time of inspections on some mobilehome pedestals. What it appeared to be was that someone didn't like the street lighting and cut the wires inside of the light pole. Then later someone, possibly the manager's handyman, installed a new lighting fixture on the pole using communication cable. Do you suppose that he thought 24 AWG wire should be as good as 12 AWG if you double it?

-codeenforcementguy

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]https://www.electrical-contractor.net/Forum/Images/LightPole-726.jpg[/img]
Posted By: iwire Re: Wiring Practices - 05/23/07 10:58 PM
What an Idiot, everyone knows you need Cat 5E for HID lights. wink
Posted By: noderaser Re: Wiring Practices - 05/23/07 11:20 PM
Is that an old satellite dish?
Posted By: Hemingray Re: Wiring Practices - 05/24/07 12:40 AM
Looks like it!

Also appears to have been painted silver to redirect light. From what I see, It looks like a newer Regent 175W Mercury Vapor head jerryrigged into an old DirecTV dish. I also like how it's tied to the pole with rope! Let the sun get to that for a few months. I sure don't wanna be standing under it when it comes down. shocked
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: Wiring Practices - 05/24/07 01:56 AM
I've said it before, and I'll say it for years to come:

Pat. Het. Ic.

Ian A.
Posted By: jdevlin Re: Wiring Practices - 05/24/07 01:59 AM
That is most definitely a satellite dish. You need RG6 for that.
Posted By: ComputerWizKid Re: Wiring Practices - 05/24/07 05:19 AM
Should have used Cat6 for maximum electrical transfer or if he later wanted to put in a Metal Halide Fixture. I'm just kidding what was wrong with the original street light?
Posted By: ghost307 Re: Wiring Practices - 05/24/07 12:52 PM
Is that string UL Listed for support of a luminaire?
I can't see the label from the angle of the photograph.
Posted By: RSmike Re: Wiring Practices - 05/24/07 01:19 PM
Copper is amazing stuff. It must have some built in CYA factor that scientists haven't figured out yet. How this hasn't failed is amazing.

Is anything in the photo listed for use for this application? Once again article 110 takes a beating. If DIYer's would just follow 110 they'd win half the battle.

RSlater,
RSmike
Posted By: CTwireman Re: Wiring Practices - 05/24/07 07:15 PM
Wow......it's had to even imagine the thought process that went into creating this abortion.

A brand new mercury vapor "barn light" is only $24 at HD/Lowes etc. And it even comes with a nice acrylic lens!

And the cobra head, assuming it's HPS (I can't make out number on the label but it looks orange) is probably twice as bright as that thing.

Posted By: Hemingray Re: Wiring Practices - 05/25/07 01:15 AM
Looking closely, I make out a 10 on the label. It's a 100W HPS fixture.
Posted By: pauluk Re: Wiring Practices - 05/26/07 12:50 PM
I've seen regular "quad" telephone wire used for power before, but this is a first.

CAT3 must offer a vast improvement at 50/60Hz!
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Wiring Practices - 05/26/07 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by ComputerWizKid
what was wrong with the original street light?

Exactly!,
Why not just reconnect the cut wires instead of cobbling together an unsafe, nasty looking think like this?.
Some people's thinking is just really wack.
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: Wiring Practices - 05/26/07 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by ComputerWizKid
what was wrong with the original street light?

The hack probably couldn't find replacement bulbs at the dollar store...

Ian A.
Posted By: Luketrician Re: Wiring Practices - 05/29/07 07:27 PM
HPS fixtures such as this can make all kinds of buzzing sounds esp when the capacitor goes out in them. The camper probably got tired of being kept up at night by the noise.

Maybe?

I'm just glad they actually used a couple of scotch locks instead of a few wraps of 'Alabama chrome'...aka duck tape! j/k
crazy

Posted By: Wizzie Electric Re: Wiring Practices - 06/01/07 06:33 PM
lmao, I like it. Made my day. smile
Posted By: HotLine1 Re: Wiring Practices - 06/04/07 11:58 PM
How come I don't see a RED sticker??

John
Posted By: KJ Re: Wiring Practices - 06/07/07 06:00 AM
THAT WAS PROBABLY A RETIRED W/I CAMPSITE
Posted By: cschow Re: Wiring Practices - 06/08/07 10:01 PM
That is just classic.

All that work and you could either reconnect the original light or go buy the $25 light at the home center.

One of the finest examples of "old-man engineering", which is making do with wnatever you have lying around.
Posted By: CTwireman Re: Wiring Practices - 06/09/07 12:05 AM
I think some serious narcotics or amphetamines may be the reason for this.
Posted By: hardwareguy Re: Wiring Practices - 06/16/07 05:42 AM
Me and a few friends got a few minutes of laughs out of this one. If I recall correctly, most communication cable insulation is only rated for around 60V or so. (I know it's too thin for 120V!)
Posted By: packrat56 Re: Wiring Practices - 04/08/08 04:49 PM
Now that's what I improvising, I'm amazed that CAT 3 cable hasn't fried yet, that light bulb will make a nice mess if/when those ropes break.
Posted By: techie Re: Wiring Practices - 04/08/08 05:28 PM
Actually, communications cable is rated for (i think) 150v). POTS ring voltage is 90-100v at ~20hz.
Posted By: Rob In NJ Re: Wiring Practices - 04/08/08 06:30 PM
24 ga paralleled is the same as 21 ga, so that's about 13 ohm/1000ft. If that run is 20' (up and back down again), that wire presents a resistance of 0.26 ohms. If that's a 240VA 120V load that's 2A of current in the wire, power lost in the wire is P=I^2*R, or about 1W. Despite how bad the installation is, that wire wouldn't even get warm. I still don't approve, and I'm sure this much thought didn't go into this installation. wink
© ECN Electrical Forums