ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin 'Artistic' Conduit Run - 04/03/07 02:12 AM
Saw this in the bathroom at a Coffee House, it brings up an interesting question, if something is obviously done for "artistic" purposes should minor violations, that are not a blatent hazard, be aproved? If you were an AHJ and an EC came up to you and asked if they could do this would you let them (critiscism of artistic judgement not withstanding?

sorry about the poor picture resolution, I took the pic with my girlfriends camera phone, wich led to a humerous conversation:
"can I use your phone?"
"sure"
*goes to bathroom w/ phone*
"who'd you call?"
"I took a picture"
"in the bathroom? WHAT did you take a picture of???? ..... wait, it was something electrical wasn't it?"
methinks I'm getting a wee bit too predictable :biggrin:

-Will A.K.A. Elviscat

[Linked Image]
Posted By: pauluk Re: 'Artistic' Conduit Run - 04/03/07 11:12 AM
What's this connecting to? Seems odd even if for artistic purposes!

"in the bathroom? WHAT did you take a picture of???? ..... wait, it was something electrical wasn't it?"

Good job she obviously knows you very well! laugh
Posted By: SteveFehr Re: 'Artistic' Conduit Run - 04/03/07 04:30 PM
Eh, sure, it may exceed 360 by a *small* bit, but if I were the AHJ, I'd probably grant an exception. You have to worry about cable pulling damage on something like that, though. They'd practically have to bend it with the wire already installed!
Posted By: n1ist Re: 'Artistic' Conduit Run - 04/03/07 11:48 PM
I guess that conduit is for AC and the straight ones are for DC :-)
Posted By: sstrick Re: 'Artistic' Conduit Run - 04/05/07 02:31 PM
Is that flex or EMT? I'm guessing someone had a scrap piece of flex and didn't want to measure/cut it to proper length. So they just snaked it to fit.
Posted By: canuck Re: 'Artistic' Conduit Run - 04/05/07 11:12 PM
Artistic? no Ridiculous? yes

Why not just a straight run and paint the pipe if it is too 'ugly'? I guess they were out of conduit and only had the apprentice's practice pipe. smile

Posted By: ausador Re: 'Artistic' Conduit Run - 04/06/07 03:45 AM
In this case it solely for artistic/appearence reasons and appears to be a very short run. I'm guessing since it isn't in the photo but I'd bet there is a j-box at the end of the "straight" section of the run. (just out of the photo to the left upper corner)

Yeah I would give it a pass on the 360 degree bend rule unless I determined that it was at the end of a homerun with no junction within 20' or so.....
Posted By: Elviscat Re: 'Artistic' Conduit Run - 04/06/07 03:50 AM
it's EMT, and it runs out of the room on both ends.
-Will
Posted By: Steve Miller Re: 'Artistic' Conduit Run - 04/07/07 01:47 AM
Many years ago when I was teaching vocational electricity at a high school we would teach them to bend EMT like this: Take a 1900 box and 1 stick of 1/2" EMT; place the box flat on the floor; exit the box on the left, bend a double 90 (up in the air) and end up going to the right; bend a 90 to head up; then bend a double 90 and enter the box from the top. And make the length correct so you can use fittings on the 2 ends without cutting the pipe. We wasted a lot of pipe but they usually got it.
I may have had some goof offs, but they coould bend pipe when they left.
Posted By: cubby964 Re: 'Artistic' Conduit Run - 04/18/07 09:07 PM
Looks like a fish tape straightener left over from construction.

Jim
Posted By: Alan Belson Re: 'Artistic' Conduit Run - 04/18/07 09:47 PM
Or, ready for the future staircase project?
Posted By: JoeTestingEngr Re: 'Artistic' Conduit Run - 04/19/07 01:11 AM
I would guess that it contains 2, 14# THHNs fed from a 50 Amp breaker and that they needed the additional surface area to adequately heat the bathroom.
Joe
Posted By: pauluk Re: 'Artistic' Conduit Run - 04/19/07 09:35 AM
Originally Posted by n1ist
I guess that conduit is for AC and the straight ones are for DC :-)

[Linked Image]
Posted By: renosteinke Re: 'Artistic' Conduit Run - 04/19/07 04:57 PM
I would sine off on it.

It's just a sine of the times.

I hope it terminates in a cobra-head.
Posted By: LarryC Re: 'Artistic' Conduit Run - 04/19/07 07:56 PM
I don't want the topic to go off on a tangent 'cos I can't stand it.
Posted By: BigJohn Re: 'Artistic' Conduit Run - 04/20/07 09:40 PM
...And if someone were to ask the inspector if the electrician could legally install that pipe, the reply would be
"'Cos 'e can't!"

I couldn't resist.

-John
Posted By: e57 Re: 'Artistic' Conduit Run - 04/28/07 10:03 AM
Punny!

Maybe there is no wire in it at all???
© ECN Electrical Forums