ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin No Conduit! - 01/08/07 04:27 PM
I think ya’ll have corrupted me! I saw this while picking up Mom’s new dishwasher. I didn’t have my camera, so I made a second trip to get some shots!

- JohnJ0906
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: cschow Re: No Conduit! - 01/08/07 05:15 PM
Is this near the coast or a high humidity region? Quite a lot of rust there. Almost looks like black gas pipe.

What does it feed?
Posted By: Hemingray Re: No Conduit! - 01/08/07 05:59 PM
From the looks of it, that security camera off to the right.
Posted By: cschow Re: No Conduit! - 01/08/07 06:22 PM
Now that you mentioned it, those other wires acting as a strain-relief look like they would be a video feed. I can't tell if they come out of the top of the box or run behind it.
Posted By: JohnJ0906 Re: No Conduit! - 01/08/07 09:24 PM
I didn't see those wires anywhere besides the top of the box, so I don't think they were tucked behind the conduit. This building is over 30 years old, so this could very well be that old, and Maryland is a high humidity region duing the summer.
Posted By: Hemingray Re: No Conduit! - 01/09/07 12:40 AM
I believe that those wires are indeed for the camera. Seeing as how it's a dome camera, one of the cables delivers the video signal back to the security office, and the other handles camera movement (rotation, etc).
Posted By: EV607797 Re: No Conduit! - 01/09/07 02:34 AM
Not that it's correctly-done, but I agree that the gray and black wires look like camera wiring. Of course, the fact that an orange extension cord is connected like that, with no in-use cover, in an area with heavy sunlight is the bigger issue.

I'll bet that is a cheapo import extension cord (most colored ones are). There's probably 50 feet of it coiled up on the roof, sitting in puddles, exposed to maximum UV and probably sun bleached/cracked all over it's length by now. I am also confident that the receptacle isn't GFI protected, I mean this installation would have to be plagued with nuisance tripping if it was.

I am sure that their excuse for this will be one of the following:

"Yes, we know. It hasn't been approved to be done correctly until our next budget comes around";

"The guy who did it said he would come back to do it right but never did";

"The maintenance department is working on it";

"Maintenance says that they are waiting for special-order parts";

"It's so high up, nobody can get shocked from it way up there";

"What's wrong with it? It is a grounded extension cord".

[This message has been edited by EV607797 (edited 01-08-2007).]
Posted By: JohnJ0906 Re: No Conduit! - 01/09/07 10:46 AM
It is possible that it is camera wires. What grabbed my attention at first was the cord that looked as if it had been there for years. Its a little hard to see clearly from the ground, its about 25' up, behind a fence. As a matter of fact, I would have SWORN I saw a green wrapped up in that jumble, until I took the photo and blew it up some
Posted By: cschow Re: No Conduit! - 01/09/07 06:05 PM
Not that it's correctly-done, but I agree that the gray and black wires look like camera wiring. Of course, the fact that an orange extension cord is connected like that, with no in-use cover, in an area with heavy sunlight is the bigger issue.
I'll bet that is a cheapo import extension cord (most colored ones are). There's probably 50 feet of it coiled up on the roof, sitting in puddles, exposed to maximum UV and probably sun bleached/cracked all over it's length by now. I am also confident that the receptacle isn't GFI protected, I mean this installation would have to be plagued with nuisance tripping if it was.

I am sure that their excuse for this will be one of the following:

"Yes, we know. It hasn't been approved to be done correctly until our next budget comes around";

"The guy who did it said he would come back to do it right but never did";

"The maintenance department is working on it";

"Maintenance says that they are waiting for special-order parts";

"It's so high up, nobody can get shocked from it way up there";

"What's wrong with it? It is a grounded extension cord".

[This message has been edited by EV607797 (edited 01-08-2007).]

The one I hear all time that wasn't mentioned

"But sir, it's only temporary"
© ECN Electrical Forums