Posted By: Admin Gotta' love it, Part 2 - 12/17/06 04:32 AM
submitted by HCE727:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: NORCAL Re: Gotta' love it, Part 2 - 12/17/06 05:22 AM
Whats worse, the plumbing or the electrical? The electrical is sloppy in the extreme, and the PVC coupling on the ABS is a nice touch,and that is with out touching on clearance issues.
Posted By: Elviscat Re: Gotta' love it, Part 2 - 12/17/06 06:44 AM
well at least they tried to get the drain outta the way [Linked Image]
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Gotta' love it, Part 2 - 12/17/06 04:55 PM
Besides ECN, I keep watch over a certain site that has a lot of well-intentioned DIY'rs and overly ambitious tradesmen. A typical question there starts out as "I want to... is it OK if I..."

I generally answer by starting "If I were doing the job, I would do it this way..."

Looking at these pics - and it was hard to keep from losing my cool - I see every possible DIY sin committed. While the basic arrangement is (more or less) allowed, the execution is seriously flawed. It can only be "fixed" by taking it out and starting over.

Indeed, it's not a question of "what's wrong" so much as "what's right." The only bright spot is that the cables all look to have enough slack that moving this mess away from the pipe ought not be hard.

[This message has been edited by renosteinke (edited 12-17-2006).]
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: Gotta' love it, Part 2 - 12/17/06 06:00 PM
What's that rotted-looking cable on the right-hand side? (If it's even a cable.)

That's a mess, to say the very least. The very most, not allowed on this board.

Ian A.
Posted By: Rewired Re: Gotta' love it, Part 2 - 12/17/06 06:47 PM
And to top it off I love how someone tried to jam a Sq-D homeline breaker in that panel at the bottom , of which it looks like its ready to fall out.

Reno: I agree.. tear it all out, start again..

A.D
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Gotta' love it, Part 2 - 12/17/06 08:57 PM
I have to agree with John here,
This an absolute shocker.
BTW, is that expanding foam above that panel?.
I've NEVER seen it used in that quantity before. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: Gotta' love it, Part 2 - 12/17/06 09:23 PM
BTW, is that expanding foam above that panel?.
I've NEVER seen it used in that quantity before.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Ian A.
Posted By: ShockMe77 Re: Gotta' love it, Part 2 - 12/18/06 04:32 AM
They're going to have to either re-route that plastic pipe, or install a main disconnect on the outside of the house. If the panel gets moved any further to the right, IMO that would be a violation of the "nearest point of entrance" rule. Clean up the rest of the old BX cables.... $5600!!!

By the way, mad props to the installer for taping up that grounded conductor. At least he was trying to make a safe install. LOL
Posted By: Zapped Re: Gotta' love it, Part 2 - 12/18/06 03:11 PM
See what happens when cousins marry?
Posted By: Elviscat Re: Gotta' love it, Part 2 - 12/18/06 06:38 PM
Shock, that tape is obviously there for a neat, professional look [Linked Image]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Gotta' love it, Part 2 - 12/18/06 09:15 PM
BTW Guys,
What is the neatest way to support flexible metallic-sheathed cable?.
I've never seen any long runs of it before and wondered if it is saddled or clipped or what?.
Posted By: Luketrician Re: Gotta' love it, Part 2 - 12/18/06 09:39 PM
I love it when sequels come out better than their predecessors! [Linked Image] Can't wait to see 'Gotta Love it pt.3'. [Linked Image]

As for me Trumpy, making kindorf racks, one and two hole straps..
Posted By: ShockMe77 Re: Gotta' love it, Part 2 - 12/19/06 04:29 AM
It's a very professional look! [Linked Image]

To clean this up would be simple.

Remove old panel, the wood mount, and re-do it all.

Looks like all those cables are either of the 14/2, 14/3, or 12/2 variety. Throw in a 10/3 too, ok. I see no reason why these cables cannot be doubled up into a duplex bx connector and placed into the top half of the panel for nice, neat professional look. Nothing makes me prouder as an electrician than to clean up someone elses electricial nightmare and making it into a piece of art. Sounds silly, I know, but it's true. I love doing jobs like this.
© ECN Electrical Forums