ECN Forum
Posted By: renosteinke Photo Cell Circus - 12/02/06 02:10 AM
A hotel called me for an unrelated problem- but I couldn't help but notice the new photo-cell that had installed. Let's take the run from the beginning....

First, they ran from the panel to a completely unnecessary box (left open). perhaps this was because thay had no other way to connect the PVC 90 to the EMT:

[Linked Image]

Then the pipe was run "Playtex style" (without visible support):

[Linked Image]

Yes, that IS a zip-tie holding it up:

[Linked Image]

Finally, the photocell:

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by renosteinke (edited 12-01-2006).]
Posted By: napervillesoundtech Re: Photo Cell Circus - 12/02/06 03:55 AM
wow. thats awful. Those offset EMT connectors seem to always get used incorrectly.
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: Photo Cell Circus - 12/02/06 04:13 AM
By what that overhang and all of the electric looks like, call in the backhoe for improvements.

Ian A.
Posted By: Rewired Re: Photo Cell Circus - 12/02/06 05:28 PM
Er... What is the photocell actually controlling? Just that in that box I see a red and a white, but no mention of a light or any load between the panel and the photocell, and do photocells need 3-wires ( hot, neutral and switched )?

Ian: Have a lil' flavour for destruction don't ya? [Linked Image] Don't worry I agree with you 110%

A.D
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Photo Cell Circus - 12/02/06 06:39 PM
Wires leave the back of the box that supports the photocell. It controls the lights in front of the doors (which open to the parking lot).
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: Photo Cell Circus - 12/02/06 06:47 PM
Ian: Have a lil' flavour for destruction don't ya? [Linked Image]

That would be an understatement.

Ian A.
Posted By: napervillesoundtech Re: Photo Cell Circus - 12/03/06 12:13 AM
an understatement

I will have to see if I can find some of the pictures of my "tools of destruction" from my high school days. I think just about every kid loves a good explosion now and then [Linked Image]
Posted By: pauluk Re: Photo Cell Circus - 12/03/06 12:20 AM
Ian: Have a lil' flavour for destruction don't ya?

That would be an understatement.

That reminds me of a TV show some years ago in which the narrator was adding suitably sarcastic comments as we were treated to a tour of some "fixer upper" house (I think it was on how to translate real-estate jargon into plain English).

I always remember the line when we were shown some particularly poor aspect of the house:

"Nothing a spot of demolition wouldn't cure!"
© ECN Electrical Forums