ECN Forum
Posted By: renosteinke Piping Horror - 11/30/06 04:43 PM
Perhaps you have found yourself thinking:

"Well, it's in pipe ... at least it's not Romex ... look like somebody wasn't a complete incompetent ..."

In that case, this pic will challenge you beliefs

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by renosteinke (edited 11-30-2006).]
Posted By: steve ancient apprentice Re: Piping Horror - 11/30/06 06:51 PM
iM going to be a brat here. Guess the install was done and completed before they invented covers for the boxes. Not to mention the other things that are wrong.
Posted By: ShockMe77 Re: Piping Horror - 12/01/06 12:45 AM
That install is a violation of article 358.26. There is more than 360ยบ of bends in one conduit run. And no cover on the splice box, as Steve pointed out, is also a violation.
Posted By: Tesla Re: Piping Horror - 12/01/06 04:07 AM
Am I blind, or is some of that Sealtite?

The distant raceway sure looks like Sealtite cranked onto a coupling....

But, I'm so blind... the picture is so fuzzy...

John, please fill in the blanks.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Piping Horror - 12/01/06 04:34 AM
No, that's all EMT. It has been apinted / coated with plaster any number of times. You WILL be seeing more pics from this place .... didn't want to shock you too badly [Linked Image]
Posted By: mamills Re: Piping Horror - 12/01/06 05:35 PM
Aw, you know how much we enjoy the "shock factor" [Linked Image].

Is this outdoors? It looks kinda like two separate buildings butted up to each other.

Mike (mamills)
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Piping Horror - 12/02/06 12:41 AM
Two separate buildings, connected only by the roof you see below the open box.
Posted By: Jim M Re: Piping Horror - 12/02/06 05:31 PM
This was clearly a pipe bending exercise for someone that normally installs cables. Since 90s are easier to bend for a new person than offsets that would explain why they didn't use a horizontal offset to get between the 2 buildings.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Piping Horror - 12/03/06 01:16 AM
Jim, you may be right ... but, looking at the bends, it's clear they need more prctice.
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Piping Horror - 12/03/06 11:23 PM
John,
What does that EMT with the boxes on it supply?.
Seems like a LOT of wires in there!.
Posted By: Luketrician Re: Piping Horror - 12/04/06 12:54 AM
With all of those excess bends, whoever ran that 3/4 with 360+ degrees should be working at the muffler shop. Looks like where the 3/4 conduit nineties in to the wall is about the same height that the conduit is, BEFORE it nineties up to the ceiling. ??? [Linked Image]

I believe JimM is right, probably just didn't know how to bend an offset, or even what an LB is, (for where the run turns back into the block wall).

Luke

[This message has been edited by Luketrician (edited 12-03-2006).]
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Piping Horror - 12/04/06 01:48 AM
What does the box contain? I don't know, Mike. My task there took me elsewhere.

Now, some of you might say "What? He didn't fix it?"
Well, that box was well outside the scope of the work I was hired to do. As you might guess, this place was / is awash in so many violations, and examples of awful workmanship, that .... even if I were given a blank check ... I wouldn't know where to start.

Those with sharp eyes, and sharper memories, will notice that this is the same place with the non-continuous EMT, the errant photocell, the pipe run right through a tree, and other past threads. Ian is on the right track; this place needs a complete demo.
© ECN Electrical Forums