ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Handy Box Outside - 11/30/06 05:26 AM
The floods are weatherproof, the switch doesn't have to be. Does it? I love it!!

- HCE727
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Rewired Re: Handy Box Outside - 11/30/06 06:13 AM
HIDEOUS!
I don't know what to say to that one really, but at least the handi-box does not have all its knockouts smashed out of it and there isnt orange cabtire running between everything [Linked Image].

All kidding aside, not only is that a violation, but I see one right where the conduit enters the W.P box for the lights.. Our AHJ would also ding this install for where the conduit enters the W.P box, and for that metal strap as well. Male adapters screwed into threaded openings tend to shear off and that strap will not allow for the pvc to move when it expands / contracts albeit its not going to do that here in this short run.

A.D
Posted By: iwire Re: Handy Box Outside - 11/30/06 09:20 AM
but I see one right where the conduit enters the W.P box for the lights.. Our AHJ would also ding this install for where the conduit enters the W.P box,

What code section would the AHJ say you violated?
Posted By: Rewired Re: Handy Box Outside - 11/30/06 10:20 PM
Iwire:
I will have to look it up, I have seen it in the CEC somewhere and have actually had to repair installs like that that were tagged by the AHJ, as the "proper" way of doing it was to use a female adapter and a nipple.

A.D
Posted By: RobbieD Re: Handy Box Outside - 12/01/06 02:41 AM
Violation

2006 CEC

12-1112(2) Fittings
12-3020 Outlet boxes, etc., in damp places
2-024 Use of approved equipment
2-108 Class of workmanship

I could add one about the strap being real tight but as it was already said, its a really short run.
Posted By: walrus Re: Handy Box Outside - 12/01/06 11:05 AM
Why do they make male adapters if you can't use them.?? I can't use them because they "might " break. I see lots of violations but using a listed fitting doesn't seem to be one of them
Posted By: BigJohn Re: Handy Box Outside - 12/01/06 09:18 PM
Wait a second! This the very definition of "arranged to drain". Any water that makes it into that WP box and conduit will thus be drained out of that handy box.

I hope for someone's sake that there's a good EGC solidly bonded to that handy box and switch.

-John
Posted By: ShockMe77 Re: Handy Box Outside - 12/02/06 12:16 AM
I don't see what the big deal is using male adaptors. The female adaptor/ close nipple method seems a bit unnecessary to me. Something like this would also require an expansion fitting, no?
Posted By: iwire Re: Handy Box Outside - 12/02/06 12:26 AM
So help me out here, what CEC rule prohibits using a fitting for what it is intended for?
Posted By: RobbieD Re: Handy Box Outside - 12/02/06 03:21 AM
Iwire, the only fitting in question is the pvc male that goes into the cast aluminum (raintight) box. CEC rule 12-1112 (2) states- Female threaded PVC or HFT adapters shall be used together with a metal conduit nipple to terminate at threaded conduit entries in metal enclosures.

The connection of the pvc to the improperly used/located 1110 box is good though.

[This message has been edited by RobbieD (edited 12-01-2006).]
Posted By: iwire Re: Handy Box Outside - 12/02/06 11:45 AM
Thanks Robbie for the specifics.

We have no such restriction in the NEC and I really don't see the point.

Here it is common to see a male term adapter into a threaded hub and I don't see them breaking unless the rest of the installation is done poorly.
Posted By: Luketrician Re: Handy Box Outside - 12/03/06 05:06 AM
Too bad there isn't a code requirement for exposed runs. Along with the violations, the way that PVC is 'bowed' into those boxes..looks well ________ ,(U fill in the blank).

Luke
Posted By: Elviscat Re: Handy Box Outside - 12/03/06 07:19 PM
c'mon, how much work would it be to cut a little block of wood to screw that clip on to and prevent that horrid bow in the conduit? or at least use some 1/2" EMT and do a couple Over-The-Bumper offsets, I for one would hate to have something that ugly on the side of my house!
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Handy Box Outside - 12/03/06 11:09 PM
Elvis,
c'mon, how much work would it be to cut a little block of wood to screw that clip on to and prevent that horrid bow in the conduit? or at least use some 1/2" EMT and do a couple Over-The-Bumper offsets.
My sentiments exactly, mate!.
Nothing screams more of "I don't care!", than a horrid install like this.
I was thinking that a stand-off saddle should have been used in the top section of conduit to take that nasty looking bend out, at the very least.
I'd be very interested to see how that lower section of conduit runs back into the building.
I for one would hate to have something that ugly on the side of my house!
You aren't in that boat alone either,
if I came home and saw that some clown had done a job like that, I'd either be on the phone or I'd be going to their shop to "see" them!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: iwire Re: Handy Box Outside - 12/03/06 11:14 PM
It looks like typical DIY work, I doubt any electrician did this.
© ECN Electrical Forums