ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Trailer Park Outlet - 09/01/06 02:19 AM
I found this at a trailer park near my house. and yes it is live.

Wizzie Electric
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Hemingray Re: Trailer Park Outlet - 09/01/06 03:27 AM
where does the other end of that connect to?
Posted By: Wizzie Electric Re: Trailer Park Outlet - 09/01/06 03:40 AM
the wires coming down the pole and being spliced by the uninsulated split bolt connectors are the cut ends of a disconected but still energized overhead service.

[This message has been edited by Wizzie Electric (edited 08-31-2006).]
Posted By: napervillesoundtech Re: Trailer Park Outlet - 09/01/06 05:00 AM
not that it would have made much difference here, but, there is no clamp where that cable enters the box. theres also no cover plate, no ground, no (visible GFCI)and it looks like theres also a few missing ko's.

although, on the bright side, maybe it will get rewired when it causes the pole to burn down. [Linked Image]
Posted By: mamills Re: Trailer Park Outlet - 09/01/06 01:36 PM
Wizzie...So this is "free" power, from a receptacle with no OCPD whatsoever (except for the wire itself when it burns in two)?

Mike (mamills)
Posted By: Wizzie Electric Re: Trailer Park Outlet - 09/01/06 02:13 PM
The box isnt mounted either. I never traced the line back to the source
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Trailer Park Outlet - 09/02/06 01:10 AM
Can't say I've ever seen K&T outside before!
Posted By: mxslick Re: Trailer Park Outlet - 09/03/06 04:40 AM
reno:

Don't think they even went to that much trouble, it looks like "nekked" acorns and the wire is just laying against the pole!!

An open question to everyone:

Now, if you were to encounter something like this, would you cut it and tape it off, making it somewhat safe? (Cutting the wire coming down as high up as possible?)

My answer would be yes, and if it is indeed tapped directly off the poco's drop, I'd put a call into the poco too.
Posted By: Luketrician Re: Trailer Park Outlet - 09/03/06 05:07 AM
Hello! and now with my two cents. I agree mx, cut the wires as high as whatever ladder you have handy and call the poco. Anyone else notice that they did atleast strap the nm within the 12 inches of the box. Is that right? I don't have my "bible" handy at the moment.
Posted By: RODALCO Re: Trailer Park Outlet - 09/03/06 12:24 PM
Yes i agree with mxslick and luketrician.

I would cut it off as high as possible at the pole ( 2.5 meters ) ensuring i wouldn't topple the pole over, and tape the ends and notify the POCO and electrical inspector.

It wouldn't be good to read in a local newspaper that a little kid got killed while playing with those bare wires or broken powerpoint, while knowinhg about it and not doing anything about it to make it safer for the time being.
Posted By: Wizzie Electric Re: Trailer Park Outlet - 09/04/06 02:55 AM
I has already been done.
Posted By: Theelectrikid Re: Trailer Park Outlet - 09/05/06 08:36 PM
$100 says that at one time a trailer was fed from that. $200 says thats why its not there anymore.

Ian A.
Posted By: napervillesoundtech Re: Trailer Park Outlet - 09/06/06 05:09 AM
Call the PoCo and install a small breaker panel.

I bet there was once a trailer here, too. Probably even with one of those horrid adaptors that goes from 5-15 to 14-50. They were obviously going for the open air conductor ratings. [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums