ECN Forum
Posted By: Trumpy More Bad Services - 05/13/06 01:54 AM
Photo's and info submitted by Harold Endean:

Here is an example of a homeowner trying to do his own service. Outside was a piece of plumbing pipe with thre 3/0 copper wires running into the service in the basement. Inside he stopped the pipe and ran the wires directly into the service panel. After I fail him the first time, he removed the 3/0 wires and ran 4/0 SEU cable throught the same pipe. After a few trips there I think I finally set him straight. Unfortunately, I still might have to go back one more time to final out his job.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: More Bad Services - 05/13/06 07:32 AM
Harold,
Is that the finished product?.
If it is it will leak like a sieve!.
Are you allowed to clamp wires like that in an entry to a panel?.
Sure there are bushings, but what is the bare minimum in this respect?.
I see a green wire to the left of the 2nd pic, it looks like it is going through the top of the clamp, but seems to be outside of the thread in the lower part of the panel??!.
It makes me wonder if this wasn't a Home Depot advised install?.
Customer must have asked "what can I use for the bend into the house?"
HD guy "Use this, water or wires, it's all the same, the check-out guy told me so".
Posted By: MikeK3145 Re: More Bad Services - 05/13/06 11:33 AM
Trumpy,

I think the green wire has it's own clamp.

What's the silver stuff at the bottom of the last two pics? Coax?

Mike
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: More Bad Services - 05/13/06 11:51 AM
Black wire with white paint splatters, probably coax.
Posted By: Jim M Re: More Bad Services - 05/13/06 04:37 PM
Looks like they found a way to solve the question of whether or not a bushing is needed on a male adapter.
Posted By: BigJohn Re: More Bad Services - 05/14/06 01:14 AM
I really don't get it. These amature service upgrades. How in the world do these people know how to properly do a load calc. and determine conductor sizes, but can't figure out things like putting conductors in conduit?

It's like being able to rebuild a carbeurator but not knowing how to put gas in the tank.

-John
Posted By: mamills Re: More Bad Services - 05/15/06 12:19 AM
Harold:
Sure glad you failed him on the 3/0's. The guy looks like he got pretty rough with them while installing. Notice the damaged insulation.

Mike (mamills)
Posted By: RSmike Re: More Bad Services - 05/15/06 04:12 PM
Back when I couldn't spell NEC I did a DIY upgrade from 60A to 200A service on my house. I nicked up the outer coating on the THHN I installed; pretty badly. I made a point of asking the inspector about it and he told me not to worry since that covering was only there for oil protection and oil wasn't likely a problem in my house. (no I haven't opened an oil change shop in my basement since then...)

Any thoughts.

Also what's the SEU cable on the left? What's the service size. 200amps hence the failure of the 3/0 right?

RSlater,
RSmike
Posted By: scameron81 Re: More Bad Services - 05/16/06 02:10 PM
Its always been my understanding that the nylon jacket is there simply for mechanical protection. I remember reading somewhere (I can't remember where) that when the UL tests wire they remove the nylon jacket from the wire.
Posted By: ghost307 Re: More Bad Services - 05/16/06 05:50 PM
That's what a manufacturer's rep told me about the nylon jacket.
I asked him what about if the jacket gets damaged when it first comes off the reel? Does the insulation get damaged while being pulled through the rest of the run?
He told me "it's UL listed and everyone uses it...NEXT QUESTION?"
Anybody who ducks a simple question in that manner makes me suspicious. Since I've have problems in the past with THHN, I prefer to avoid it whenever possible (it's not often possible).
Posted By: ShockMe77 Re: More Bad Services - 05/20/06 12:23 PM
I like how he used tape on the conductors where it comes through the connectors. The owner must have had safety in mind when doing that. LOL.
Posted By: harold endean Re: More Bad Services - 05/21/06 02:07 PM
These pictures are not the final ones. I still have to go back. These were the 1st and 2nd attempt by the homeowner. The silver wire in the bottom pictures, I think was a CATV wire just hanging around out there. Or else it was a piece of scrap wire holding up the plastic that was covering the service.
Posted By: harold endean Re: More Bad Services - 05/21/06 02:09 PM
I also forgot, he will be using a new pice of 4/0 seu cable to go from the meter pan into the service panel. He is going to remove the individual wires and redo the service the right way. (I hope!) [Linked Image]
Posted By: trekkie76 Re: More Bad Services - 05/22/06 10:42 PM
Why would you fail him on the 3/0 for 200 amp service? This is a dwelling? table 310-15(b)6 seems to allow 2/0 Cu for a 200 amp service. I see the pipe issues, and how he brought it into the panel is horrible, but the size is ok. Is pic 1 nad 2 the same service, seems like copper at the panel and AL at the meter socket.
Posted By: harold endean Re: More Bad Services - 05/24/06 01:32 AM
Trekkie,

I didn't fail him for using 3/0 CU wire, it is just that it needed to be in a pipe. So I told him that he could either put it in a pipe, but his bends would have been very difficult to do. (See pic # 1) I also told him that he could use a 4/0 SEU cable and still be able to make his bend into that service panel. So on the second try, he used SEU AL cable. He just left it in the pipe. [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums