ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Handyman Firestarter - 02/25/06 03:17 PM
The local large remodeling company has their carpenter/handyman do the electrical and plumbing work rather than subcontracting to a licensed professional. I removed this wiring immediately after shooting the pictures. I've heard around town that his plumbing work is the same quality.

He thinks he's a qualified electrician. What do you think?

- Tiger (Dave)
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: Handyman Firestarter - 02/25/06 03:37 PM
!!!!!
Posted By: Radar Re: Handyman Firestarter - 02/25/06 04:30 PM
This guy's a legend!
Posted By: George Corron Re: Handyman Firestarter - 02/25/06 04:40 PM
Obviously, you guys don't appreciate the concept of "Free Air" Heck, we could put 50 amps on that outlet just cause we didn't encumber it with that heat capturing box.

Seriously though, if someone can't stop him by stealing his tools, he should have his fingers legally removed.
Posted By: HighPotter Re: Handyman Firestarter - 02/25/06 04:58 PM
I don't think ANYTHING will ever stop this guy.
Posted By: Rewired Re: Handyman Firestarter - 02/25/06 05:05 PM
" He thinks he is a qualified electrician??"
Your pulling our chain right????

In this guy's world I guess the drains run uphill too!!
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Handyman Firestarter - 02/25/06 05:20 PM
But, but....... He has the ground facing the right way! [Linked Image]

(running for cover!)
Posted By: Dave T Re: Handyman Firestarter - 02/25/06 05:38 PM
The way that I look at it is that he will have the opportunity to start all over again if he leaves that light on long enough.
Posted By: Celtic Re: Handyman Firestarter - 02/25/06 06:55 PM

He thinks he's a qualified electrician. What do you think?

I think he a qualified electrician - as measured in a 3rd world country.
Posted By: HCE727 Re: Handyman Firestarter - 02/26/06 05:11 AM
It's not necessary to call an electrician, black to black, white to white, what's so had about that? Or to quote a GC from South Philly " Why I needa' lectrica',to mucha' money, I do a myselfa'.
Posted By: Big Ed Re: Handyman Firestarter - 02/27/06 08:36 PM
Well the ground PIN may be facing the right way, but it realy doesnt matter if there is NO GROUND WIRE.

At least it is a GFCI. DUH!

Maybe evolution will take him out of the gene pool.
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Handyman Firestarter - 02/27/06 10:03 PM
You know, what this site needs is an "Academy awards" thing every year, with winners in categories such as:
"Worst Hack Job"
"Most Original Hack Job"
"Greatest number of violations within 12""
"Silliest way to do something" ,and,
"Who needs the right tools?"
Posted By: wa2ise Re: Handyman Firestarter - 02/27/06 10:48 PM
Was this hack work intended to be permanent? Looks quite temporary to me. Also quite bad. Not a great idea to have that light bulb right up against the paper backing of the insulation. Only make for a temporary fire.....

[This message has been edited by wa2ise (edited 02-27-2006).]
Posted By: RSmike Re: Handyman Firestarter - 02/28/06 05:21 PM
...I think I'm being crude when I put in a temporary outlet and I don't put a cover on it....in my own house only accessible by me. Reminds me of an extension cord my father made using a lamp cord, outlet, and a bunch of electrical tape; no box. I think he was trying to get rid of me

RSlater,
RSmike
Posted By: napervillesoundtech Re: Handyman Firestarter - 03/01/06 11:26 PM
He should have ground bonded that 2x4 the outlet is on. [Linked Image] You gotta give people credit for saving money on materials, though. Not using a box saved him a few cents, although it would be enough to get this guy out of business if this thing burns up.
Posted By: RODALCO Re: Handyman Firestarter - 03/05/06 05:16 AM
Oh la la ! ! !

That a worry, conduit wire in no conduit.

Lamp with red tape, twisted ??? wires, who knows.

Lamp is old or has been very hot, darkened bulb.

A fire waiting to happen here. Lamp very close to building paper.
Posted By: Elviscat Re: Handyman Firestarter - 03/05/06 06:01 PM
Rodalco- I do believe those are two red wirenuts, not just red tape over twisting, of course that doesn't make it any better and it's still a horrible job, and I can only hope that this is a temporary job, maybe one that got forgotten about?
-Will
Posted By: Livewiremal Re: Handyman Firestarter - 03/11/06 04:49 PM
this guy is probably crap at carpentry too, folk like that ought to be named and shamed for their irresponsible actions.
Posted By: Gregtaylor Re: Handyman Firestarter - 03/24/06 02:35 AM
I think Iknow this guy. At least I must be following him EVERY SINGLE FREAKIN' DAY!!!
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Handyman Firestarter - 03/24/06 08:01 AM
Temporary or not, I don't care.
There are even written standards for temporary work.
And it is fortunately a LOT higher than this rubbish!. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Tiger Re: Handyman Firestarter - 03/29/06 01:46 AM
Mike, I heard a long time ago that the paper on insulation burns extremely fast. Do you know anything about that? It was one of the reasons I thought this work was especially dangerous.

Dave
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Handyman Firestarter - 03/30/06 09:21 AM
Dave,
I heard a long time ago that the paper on insulation burns extremely fast. Do you know anything about that? It was one of the reasons I thought this work was especially dangerous.
We don't have a paper coating on our fiberglass batts here.
We have fiberglass batts between all studs and between the ceiling runners.
The latest Building Act here requires 150mm of batts stuffed into a 90mm stud thickness.
In the ceiling, you can't put lights like your customers give you any where, they have to comply with the regulations here.
Mind you that is good, with all the dodgy stuff coming out of China, I don't want a house fire on my conscience.
DIY Lighting stores eh??. [Linked Image]
© ECN Electrical Forums