ECN Forum
Posted By: electure The Joys of Commercial Service Work - 01/13/06 03:09 AM
A call this morning- the lights and ceiling fan went out when they plugged in the vacuum. Hmm...breakers aren't tripped. Pull the cover off the little panel and...

[Linked Image]

Better fix that before I do anything.

[Linked Image]

I changed things around, added some breakers and... Oh well, not very pretty, but it's better, anyhow.
Now to check out that other problem.

[Linked Image]

Easy to trace visible wiring method.

[Linked Image]

OK, let's see, here's the UF coming from the fan.....

[Linked Image]

Better not hit my head on the A/C wiring

[Linked Image]

Guess I better disconnect that A/C

[Linked Image]

Huh, had to shut off 3 breakers to get this box dead, but it's not THIS neutral connection.

Found it! Neutral's loose in same box that they had the parallel 40Amp #14 and 30Amp #12 tied together in. It's my lucky day!

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 01-12-2006).]
Posted By: yaktx Re: The Joys of Commercial Service Work - 01/13/06 03:33 AM
"What, you mean to tell me the numbers on those breakers actually mean something?" [Linked Image]
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: The Joys of Commercial Service Work - 01/13/06 04:28 PM
Man. If that were my house, that would be one of those "forget this, I'm tearing it out and starting from scratch!"

Talk about scary!
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: The Joys of Commercial Service Work - 01/13/06 04:38 PM
you..... you mean I'm not the only person who finds this stuff??? [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

I'm with Sven on this, start from scratch.. Much less headaches than trying to piecemeal this mess into a coherent, code adhereing installation....
Posted By: sandsnow Re: The Joys of Commercial Service Work - 01/13/06 10:10 PM
Purple's my favorite color. That's only good thing I see.

I hope this isn't in my city. Probably a lot just like it though.
Posted By: electure Re: The Joys of Commercial Service Work - 01/16/06 01:21 PM
Sorry, sandsnow. The purple wires have to go.
I got an approval to fix this mess from the owner of the complex.
The repairs will be as the panel was... very aesthetically unpleasing... but safe.
This isn't in your jurisdiction, Larry, but your little neighbor to the North. 90% of the places I've been in that town have major messes, but most not quite this bad.

Randy, there are enough hacks around to keep us both busy. [Linked Image]
Posted By: e57 Re: The Joys of Commercial Service Work - 01/28/06 07:55 AM
Purple is a high-leg here... (Local Code) However not to be double lugged in breakers. Two seperate ones at that...
This is a classic "tear-down-and-rebuild" job for, DYNAMITE! (Alan B. says I have to use "PBX, Plastic Bonded Explosives," though.)

Ian A.
Posted By: lukemon2 Re: The Joys of Commercial Service Work - 08/24/06 04:43 AM
Let's see that violates NEC big time
plus that looks like my House door bell system before I got a hold of it
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: The Joys of Commercial Service Work - 08/24/06 02:44 PM
Luke, welcome to the forum. I'd like to mention that it can get annoying pulling old threads up just to add a comment. There are plenty of fresh topics to chime in on.
Posted By: Luketrician Re: The Joys of Commercial Service Work - 08/24/06 05:10 PM
Ahh yes, 'flying splices' what a lovely site. Guess if these pics were from a construction site, and there was a continuous egc this might meet the criteria for 527-4 (G)b.
Posted By: mxslick Re: The Joys of Commercial Service Work - 08/24/06 05:41 PM
I'd like to mention that it can get annoying pulling old threads up just to add a comment.

Now, Larry, be nice to the lad. [Linked Image]

I think the reason old threads get pulled back up is that the person has had an experience or has seen something like the topic, and it revived memories.

Besides, there are some real gems buried in the literally hundreds of pages of topics, so I say, bring 'em on!!!

There are plenty of fresh topics to chime in on.

Absolutely. But maybe the person has no experience/nothing of percieved value to add to one of those topics. There are many threads here that I follow but don't comment on because I have no meaningful input to add.

Please don't get mad, I'm not trying to attack you, but I felt the first quote was a bit insensitive to a new member. [Linked Image]

And lukemon2, welcome to ECN!! There are many fine folks here (Larry is one of them!!)(Oh, was that ever a bad pun....) who you'll learn a lot from!!
Posted By: giddonah Re: The Joys of Commercial Service Work - 08/24/06 07:36 PM
There are many threads here that I follow but don't comment on because I have no meaningful input to add.
lol, that's 99.9% of the threads I read. [Linked Image]
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: The Joys of Commercial Service Work - 08/25/06 03:58 AM
You're right; my bad. I did try to say it politely, but I shouldn't have spoken for the majority.

I ajopo . . . , I apoppo . . . , I'm sorry.
© ECN Electrical Forums