ECN Forum
Posted By: electure More FPE from Adam - 01/09/06 02:06 PM
These are a few more of what I found in my Girlfriends "new" place... Old panel is a "Trumbull" with NO main disconnect... The new one is the infamous Federal WITH Square-D main.

Adam Derus

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"This is also what I found in the basement.. Those flying splices from cabtire to speaker wire.. all that is ER WAS 120 V for lights... That has been removed.. Funny thing though thats next on my list to do is that old romex you see spliced with just tape in one of those pictures.. I have found another 3 like that so far!"

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: IanR Re: More FPE from Adam - 01/09/06 08:26 PM
what is that connector in picture 5 to the left of the switch?
Posted By: Rewired Re: More FPE from Adam - 01/09/06 11:02 PM
Ian:
By "connector" are you refering to the "box connector" or the entire plug and receptacle itself?
Posted By: classicsat Re: More FPE from Adam - 01/10/06 06:40 AM
I cannot say about the box connector, but the oultet is what Canadians plug their dryer into, and is a standard NEMA 14-30. The Range outlet is similar, except 14-50.
Posted By: IanR Re: More FPE from Adam - 01/10/06 12:22 PM
I am referringto the white receptacle andt the plug inserted into it. It just seems a little unfamiliar to me. It could just be the way its packaged. It almost looks like a European plug and receptacle. It seems too small to be a 14-30, could be wrong though. Also, I have never seen a 14-30 or 14-50 in white, almost always black or brown.

[This message has been edited by IanR (edited 01-10-2006).]
Posted By: pauluk Re: More FPE from Adam - 01/10/06 01:05 PM
The plate on that receptacle does look a little different. Is that on a 4-square box?
Posted By: classicsat Re: More FPE from Adam - 01/10/06 09:42 PM
Yes, a 4-square or something like it. 4 5/8 sq, 2" deep (at least ours, the one depicted may be smaller). Standard for Range and Dryer recepticles in Canada.

[This message has been edited by classicsat (edited 01-10-2006).

For the longest time, they were basic brown bakelite parts affixed to a tin plate. There was to cover plate. The past 10 years or so the "Designer" recepticle, as seen there, became vogue.

[This message has been edited by classicsat (edited 01-10-2006).]
Posted By: Rewired Re: More FPE from Adam - 01/10/06 10:01 PM
Ian:
yes that is a nema " 14-30" that serves the dryer in this case, the connecter you see is actually a missing K/O that got plugged.. you will notice at the top of that box the romex is not installed into the connector properly.
Just a note those "new" dryer and stove plugs are a pain to work with, the mounting screws tend to slip out of the 'keyway" that retains the receptacle to the box sometimes... Thety are made by Leviton and come in black and white.. But really who cares its normally behind a stove or dryer anyway, and if you do see it in a laundry room, who really cares anyway right?

Pauluk:
That receptacle is mounted on a 4 11/16" box
Posted By: yaktx Re: More FPE from Adam - 01/11/06 03:37 AM
If that LB is "Plasti-Bond" (PVC-coated steel), well, that's more creativity than I've ever seen...

Running romex into something you can't get at the Big Orange?

Or maybe you can get Plasti-Bond at Big Orange in Canada? [Linked Image]
Posted By: Rewired Re: More FPE from Adam - 01/11/06 10:20 PM
Hahahah you know what I do not actually know what that LB is made of! I will be checking tonight for sure!
If you think thats bad you should see the other end where it goes out into the A/C unit, and the tail of 10/2 coming out of it and into a 50A welder receptacle in a non weatherproof enclosure under the deck! ( originally that circuit had a 40 amp breaker on it as well!)
Posted By: BigJohn Re: More FPE from Adam - 01/11/06 11:15 PM
The only thing I like about garbage like this, is that warm fuzzy feeling you get after you rip it all out and make everything nice and code compliant.

Destroying crappy work has to be hands-down the best part of my job. [Linked Image]

-John
Posted By: yaktx Re: More FPE from Adam - 01/11/06 11:15 PM
If you think thats bad you should see the other end where it goes out into the A/C unit, and the tail of 10/2 coming out of it and into a 50A welder receptacle in a non weatherproof enclosure under the deck! ( originally that circuit had a 40 amp breaker on it as well!)

Maybe the Canadian Code differs, but that might actually be acceptable under the NEC, provided the receptacle is used only for a welder (I mean the ampacity part, not the non-weatherproof enclosure). It all depends on the type of welder and the duty cycle; there are derating factors that sometimes allow you to use a 40A breaker with #10.
Posted By: electure Re: More FPE from Adam - 01/12/06 02:09 AM
Yes that LB is PVC coated rigid [Linked Image]

After paying for that, the "electrishun" might not have had enough $$ left to buy proper material for the rest of the install.
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: More FPE from Adam - 01/12/06 04:27 PM
For the longest time, they were basic brown bakelite parts affixed to a tin plate. There was to cover plate. The past 10 years or so the "Designer" recepticle, as seen there, became vogue.

Can you get the "regular" receptacle and plate there still?

These things strike me as quite chintzy. I bet the plate and receptacle are one unit, correct?
Posted By: classicsat Re: More FPE from Adam - 01/12/06 04:57 PM
Last I seen in the store, the has only the new style. Yes, the plate and recpticle are one assembly.
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: More FPE from Adam - 01/12/06 06:10 PM
in pic #2, does that LB cover have a 1/2" KO on it?
Posted By: Rewired Re: More FPE from Adam - 01/12/06 11:07 PM
Yep I was surprised it was that "plasti-cote" that was mentioned! Of the 10 years I worked at the supplier I have NEVER ever heard of it! Must have been materials that were purchased in the U.S.A.. All that mess is coming out anyway, The A/C on the other end of it is some vintage Unit
( manufacturer unknown at this time).. You know the ones --> when they start all your lights dim and you can hear the poletop transformer grunt, and when they run you cant see the little black mark on the wheel in your hydro meter because its spinning that quick [Linked Image]

Oh ya, that L.B in pic#2, it appears to have a 1/2" K.O in its cover but thats just part of the stamping
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: More FPE from Adam - 01/13/06 05:08 PM
One thing I kinda like about that new FPE panel is the small ground bars placed in different parts of the can.. Seems like it would aid in a cleaner installation...
Posted By: Rewired Re: More FPE from Adam - 01/14/06 03:54 PM
Actually with those ground bars, they factory install 2 and give you a few extra in the " spare parts bag" so you can put them wherever you want in the panel.. Thats what those other holes are for you see... They USED to give you a couple longer ones but they stopped doing that a couple years ago..

FPE Also used to have panels with a set of knockouts in the side where you could actually mount a standard duplex receptacle right in the side of the panel! They stopped doing that too!

A.D
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: More FPE from Adam - 01/14/06 10:17 PM
Kinda like this "brilliant" idea?

[Linked Image from img.photobucket.com]

(found on the net someplace a while ago...)
Posted By: Check Pilot Re: More FPE from Adam - 01/15/06 12:08 AM
Is there any explaination of just exactly what the HE-double hockey sticks that is.

I thought I'd seen my share of code violations before, but it appears that human nature certainly carries on.
Posted By: electure Re: More FPE from Adam - 01/15/06 01:29 AM
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Rewired Re: More FPE from Adam - 01/15/06 03:03 PM
Yep! more like the second pic (minus the timer) though!
Actually I have seen power panels where they were for just that, they were LOADED up and down each side with twist lock receptacles! This was a setup at the convention center in a neighbouring city... Every display plugged into these massive power cables with outlets every X number of feet and those cables would in turn be plugged right into the side of a power panel somewhere!

A.D
Posted By: renosteinke Re: More FPE from Adam - 01/16/06 01:21 AM
Let me carry this tangent a little farther....

Code requires every residence to have outside receptacles, front and rear. Wouldn't it be logical for every meter disconnect (or 'all-in-one') to have provision for mounting a GFI receptacle, and the appropriate cover, directly to the cabinet? This would cover one of the required receptacles in a jiffy.
Posted By: mxslick Re: More FPE from Adam - 01/16/06 06:56 AM
Really, as far as the second pic of the recepts mounted in the sidecan of the panel are concerned, what's really wrong or even unsafe about it? Please cite specifics as I don't see an issue. And just because the Code doesn't specifically permit it doesn't make it wrong, just unconventional.

As long as total wire fill limits aren't exceeded, having such a setup isn't a violation IMHO.

Now the recpt in the deadfront of the Zinsco (or any panel) that I can clearly agree is not safe. There is the possibility of accidental contact with or grounding out of energized parts with that setup. Not to mention it's Zinsco.... [Linked Image]
Posted By: Rewired Re: More FPE from Adam - 01/16/06 11:30 PM
Know what? I LIKE that idea of having the meter and disconnect all in one with a GFI.. thats an idea!
Just a note though, Up here anyway, we are not required to put a disconnect at the meter ALTHOUGH I thing that would be a heck of a good idea for safety reasons!

If I were re-wiring the service here in the future I would check with the inspector and if allowed I would do it..

Also, I was at the supplier not too long ago and already you can get A/C disconnects with GFI's built right in them..
You are required to feed them from a separate circuit of course BUT how easy does it make life for the service tech when he goes to plug in a light or tool!

A.D
© ECN Electrical Forums