ECN Forum
Posted By: electure Upgraded Service - 12/20/05 03:25 AM
These are pics of a service I came across out in the middle of nowhere on a house that had a service call..... The panel is 200A 120/240V, with #2 THWN feeders in a 1ΒΌ" riser, and it was approved by the AHJ! [Linked Image]

Randy (Lostazhell)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 12-19-2005).]
Posted By: Hemingray Re: Upgraded Service - 12/20/05 07:26 AM
undersized conduit for the #2 THWN?
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Upgraded Service - 12/20/05 04:03 PM
Undersized conductors for a 200A service! [Linked Image] Minimum 3/0 THWN required for this size service.
Posted By: mxslick Re: Upgraded Service - 12/20/05 07:13 PM
Guys, to heck with the riser! [Linked Image]

How about the rat's nest of unsecured romex in that chase, the metal flex with romex in it that doesn't even connect to the panel.... [Linked Image]

I'd hate to see what's "under the hood" on this one!

Wonder what medication the AHJ was on too.... [Linked Image]
Posted By: wa2ise Re: Upgraded Service - 12/20/05 09:13 PM
That sticker looks to be several years old. The bad wiring probably happened after that inspection was done.
Posted By: e57 Re: Upgraded Service - 12/21/05 02:08 AM
I think the sticker is left over from the house it was previously installed in, somewhere else.
Posted By: Celtic Re: Upgraded Service - 12/21/05 03:55 AM
Originally posted by Lostazhell:

Undersized conductors for a 200A service! Minimum 3/0 THWN required for this size service.

...and for that area?
See:Table 310.15(B)(6) (2002)

That is quite a mess!

[This message has been edited by Celtic (edited 12-20-2005).]
Posted By: mamills Re: Upgraded Service - 12/21/05 02:32 PM
What a quality installation!! It looks like somebody beat this thing into the wall with a sledgehammer.

A couple of questions, Randy: What's up with the black romex'es (tied in a knot)? and, what was the nature of your service call there (at this house...?)?

This thing is quite literally a "Pandora's Box".

Mike (mamills)
Posted By: Active 1 Re: Upgraded Service - 12/23/05 03:42 PM
We can't suport a drop around here with 1 1/4 RMC even if it is a 100 A service.

They want 3" RMC for 200 amp if the mast is supporting the drop.

Is this CA where the mast is on the inside wall? We allways go on the outside with the mast.

Tom
Posted By: Trumpy Re: Upgraded Service - 12/23/05 06:36 PM
Just a little comment Randy.
I like the idea of that rain water deflector on the mast.
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Upgraded Service - 12/24/05 04:17 PM
To answser Mike's question.. The black romex's are a 10/3 for an additional dryer and a 2/3 which the homeowner had used to feed a new subpanel.
The little bit of info I got outta this guy re: the panel is that it was installed by "an electrician" thats a friend of a friend kinda deal...
[Linked Image] The service call originated as for a bunch of can lights & a couple ceiling fans that kept turning off and on sporadically... I asked him if the lights were installed by the same person that installed the panel, he said yes.. I told him that was the problem [Linked Image] Anyhow, the panel pictured above had POCO seals on the meter and their lug compartment, which means this was approved right where it sits.
© ECN Electrical Forums