ECN Forum
Posted By: vlad_tepish carpenters 100 amp ext cord - 12/03/05 01:24 AM
Thread moved from Occupational Safety Area:

[Linked Image]

The carpenter was using a table saw a compressor and a boom box all on one ext cord clamped to the main

{Message edited to put pic on ECN Server and to clean original posting up}

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 12-03-2005).]
Posted By: Trumpy Re: carpenters 100 amp ext cord - 12/03/05 07:51 AM
Vlad,
Is that lower pic just a thumbnail or is there a bigger pic associated with it?.
If there is a bigger version of it please send me a copy so that I can put it on the ECN server.
Cheers,
Mike. [Linked Image]

Oh and BTW, that carpenter needs shooting, doing a thing like that.
Not to say I haven't done the same thing before, but, I know how to insert the appropriate fusing into the live wire.
It's the level of protection (or lack thereof) that matters.
GRRR. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 12-03-2005).]
Posted By: vlad_tepish Re: carpenters 100 amp ext cord - 12/03/05 09:58 PM
the worst part of all this is that all the trades keep opening my panels. then after they are finished doing there stupid stuff to get power they just leave the cover off. so at the end of the day day I drive around the sub division and close up panels! !!!I wish there was a way to lock the panel covers on!!!
Posted By: renosteinke Re: carpenters 100 amp ext cord - 12/03/05 10:54 PM
There is a certain mentality that takes pride in its' own "cleverness."

It's hard to remain professional when you're surrounded by cheapskate contractors and semi-trained "professionals."

They're afraid to pay you to run some cords correctly..instead denying reality and leaving it to the snuffies to scrounge and improvise. These are the same guys who think it's perfectly reasonable to eliminate such "frills" as trash collection, dumpsters, and toilets.

I don't know that any solution is possible.
Posted By: MikeK3145 Re: carpenters 100 amp ext cord - 12/04/05 03:05 PM
Be nice if you could lock the panel but then you run the risk of some disgruntled carpenter taking a prybar to the panel cover.

Why not install a panel GFCI? That way the other trades can get some power safely without opening the panel.

Or won't the boss pay for that? Seems to me that be cheaper than paying you to close up panels every night.
Posted By: Bjarney Re: carpenters 100 amp ext cord - 12/04/05 05:03 PM

Not condoning the carpenters' actions, but there may be cases where this product is applicsble: http://www.littelfuse.com/cgi-bin/r.cgi/en/prod_series.html?SeriesID=1231&LFSESSION=NvXMX39edH
Posted By: vlad_tepish Re: carpenters 100 amp ext cord - 12/04/05 05:14 PM
there is an 20 amp gfi just under the panel!! they just keep poping the breaker, so they hot wire instead.sometimes there are 5 or 6 ext cords hooked to a couple of power strips "the kind you would use for your computer" and everyone running power tools!!
Posted By: MikeK3145 Re: carpenters 100 amp ext cord - 12/04/05 08:54 PM
Half-dozen panel GFIs, one for each trade. [Linked Image]

I don't have any suggestions. I suppose these guys need to get their work done too. Of course if some fool manages to electrocute himself, guess who's going to catch hell.
Posted By: 32VAC Re: carpenters 100 amp ext cord - 12/12/05 10:15 AM
Another method I have used (for DIN mount boards) is to mount two or three RCD/MCBs (20 amp capacity, 30 mA residual current trip) with a 15 amp socket for each RCD on the DIN rail at the board. This way if one tradesman takes out a circuit, the others can keep working.
Posted By: mxslick Re: carpenters 100 amp ext cord - 12/12/05 08:05 PM
Anyone notice that the guy has the cord hooked up with the neutral side hot? [Linked Image]
Posted By: JohnJ0906 Re: carpenters 100 amp ext cord - 11/23/06 10:11 PM
I usually see the hardwood floor installers do this. If I catch them, I steal whatever gadget they are using. The builder doesn't want to pay for xtra temps, and they try to use 2 saws and 2 compressors on 1 circuit-wont work! I tell them, if you want to use that much at one time, better bring a generator. The superintendants usually agree with me. Oh yeah-the kicker is they dont like to replace the panel cover
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: carpenters 100 amp ext cord - 11/24/06 06:26 PM
Exactly what the marble guys in our house did... alligator clips to the 220V/100amp bus. Unmetered power too... but that's a common sight with any construction people here working in places like apartment building hallways, basements,...
Posted By: mikesh Re: carpenters 100 amp ext cord - 11/24/06 10:03 PM
From an inspectors perspective, I call the utility and have the building disconnected. The general Contractor comes into the office and raves about having no power. I usually offer him the phone number to the WCB (like OSHA) and suggest he gets the temporary service he just removed returned. I have never had to do this twice with the same contractor. The electrical contractor often gets a $100 dollar ticket too. It is the ticket I hate to write since the electrical contractor is not usually the guy who created the hazard. The tile guy or whomever gets a ticket and loses the cheater cord too. If a Workers Compensation Inspector comes on site and sees something like this will write a $5000 tickets for first offences.
Posted By: Alan Nadon Re: carpenters 100 amp ext cord - 11/24/06 10:24 PM
Reminds me of the guy that used an adaptor, lamp socket to two prong recetacle type, and screwed it into the fuse holder of his sixty amp service so he could run his table saw.
His was only a 60 amp extension cord, #14, two wire, of course.
"The only thing I don't understand about electricity is why more people don't get killed." Hogan, Chief Electrical Inspector City of Chicago 1982.
Alan--
Posted By: ShockMe77 Re: carpenters 100 amp ext cord - 11/25/06 01:02 AM
I see the hardwod floor guys do this all the time too. The best is when they never put the panel cover back on and the GC screams at my boss and I get blamed for it!! Not much I can do as far as a installing a temporary double-pole circuit for the floor guys, but I ALWAYS install the required GFCI receptacle in an unfinished basement beneath the panel.
Posted By: Eddy Current Re: carpenters 100 amp ext cord - 11/25/06 01:26 AM
Saw a guy sanding a floor with a big sander that he plugged into the stove outlet. The sander had a female end on it and his DIY extention cord had male on both ends! Plug in only the cord and you have a serious hazard!
Posted By: JohnJ0906 Re: carpenters 100 amp ext cord - 11/25/06 02:38 PM
I would love to see tamperproof panel screws. I mean, if they're used for bathroom stall dividers, we should be able to use them for electrical panels!
Posted By: renosteinke Re: carpenters 100 amp ext cord - 11/25/06 05:40 PM
We can do our best ... but there is a limit to what can be done ... especially when you are combating a mind-set. As far as fervent, unwavering dedication to a creed goes, there is no religion like "Idiot-ology!"

ECN once had a pic of a panel that had added to it numerous hasps and locks, to keep out the ignorant. Locks were cut, hasps destroyed, and the cover pried away.

As for the floor-sanding crew: One apartment complex had me instal dedicated receptacles just for their use. No matter... they went straight to the panels, and clipped onto the bussbars. They didn't even try- and when the new receptacles were pointed out to them, they could still not be bothered to use them! [Linked Image]
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: carpenters 100 amp ext cord - 11/26/06 05:14 AM
Funny I've never come across a flooring guy doing this, but I have come across more than one roofer/framer with air compressors in tote attempting this... First time I told him where to plug things in, he said he'd take care of it... I came back the next day and he did the same thing (He was doubletapping the 200A main load side!). I called my boss who sent me to another job for the day and called CalOSHA. GC and roofer both got sizable money demands (in the $500 - $1000 range if I remember correctly).
Posted By: ComputerWizKid Re: carpenters 100 amp ext cord - 11/28/06 04:23 AM
Reminds me of the guy that used an adaptor, lamp socket to two prong recetacle type, and screwed it into the fuse holder of his sixty amp service so he could run his table saw.
His was only a 60 amp extension cord, #14, two wire, of course.
In that case where did he steal the neutral wire from? If he put a Edison to two prong receptacle adapter in a fuse holder wouldn't only have a hot wire? Since the Fuse breaks the hot connection? so where would he steal a neutral wire from or did he take the cover off the panel and clip something onto the neutral bar?
Posted By: Texas_Ranger Re: carpenters 100 amp ext cord - 11/28/06 02:37 PM
Maybe he just put his saw in series with whatever load was on the circuit...
Posted By: n1ist Re: carpenters 100 amp ext cord - 11/28/06 06:48 PM
They probably picked up the hot from the adapter and clamped the neutral on whatever ground screw was handy.
Posted By: BigJohn Re: carpenters 100 amp ext cord - 12/01/06 09:49 PM
I would love to see tamperproof panel screws.
When I was doing residential work I constantly had problems with guys getting into panels. I bought a couple dozen #10 Tri-wing machine screws. I got mine from a company called Small Parts Inc., but I think Grainger sells them, too.

I would use them in place of all the panel screws, and leave the original screws in the bottom of the can. When we'd completed trim-out, I'd just put the original screws back in and take the tamper-resistant screws onto the next job.

Worked like a champ, I never had anyone get into the panels after I started doing that. But it's also a double-edged sword! The one time I forgot my tamper-bit set even working on the screws with vise-grips, I couldn't get the darn things out. I didn't know whether to be angry or happy that it worked so well.

-John
© ECN Electrical Forums