ECN Forum
Posted By: iwire Sheet Metal Screw For Neutral! - 10/14/05 09:27 AM
Went on a service call for tripped breakers and found this.

[Linked Image]

We don't need no stinking lug kits, go to the truck and get me a 1" x 10 SMS and a fender washer.

I believe they pulled off a neutral bar to make space for this modification.

It was definitely a quality job, my call was for "exit signs, EBUs, wall outlets and fire alarm panel not working".

It turns out they where all on one circuit. I did find two conductors on that one breaker and separated that, but the FACP is still not a dedicated circuit.

I have recommend they have us come in and pull some new circuits. I doubt they will spend the money.

Bob
Posted By: electure Re: Sheet Metal Screw For Neutral! - 10/14/05 11:03 AM
Don't let the batteries go dead on your camera, Bob.
Seems to me anyway that if there isn't a change made in this one, you will be back at some time and posting a picture reminiscent of a couple of others you've posted in the past. [Linked Image]
Posted By: CTwireman Re: Sheet Metal Screw For Neutral! - 10/14/05 07:17 PM
This installation looks fairly new, is it not?

Isn't it a local code violation to not have the FA panel on a dedicated circuit?
Posted By: stamcon Re: Sheet Metal Screw For Neutral! - 10/15/05 12:35 AM
What's up with the AL grounded conductor in the lug to the right of the screw/washer? It looks cooked, as does the insulation.

steve
Posted By: Elviscat Re: Sheet Metal Screw For Neutral! - 10/15/05 02:46 AM
stamcon- I believe that the browning that makes that right hand grounded conductor look cooked is anti-oxident gel, you can see a little of the same thing on the left hand conductor as well, on the bare wire right above the lug

-Will
Posted By: LoneWolf Re: Sheet Metal Screw For Neutral! - 10/15/05 03:01 AM
What about the far right lug in looks like it arked... or is that also oxident gel
Posted By: iwire Re: Sheet Metal Screw For Neutral! - 10/15/05 10:11 AM
CT I believe that NFPA 72 requires a dedicated circuit for fire alarm systems.

scouter, that is just a glob of anti-oxidant gel.

Bob
Posted By: pauluk Re: Sheet Metal Screw For Neutral! - 10/15/05 11:28 AM
It was definitely a quality job, my call was for "exit signs, EBUs, wall outlets and fire alarm panel not working".

It turns out they where all on one circuit.

That reminds me of a commercial job my father was involved with pricing way back in the 1970s.

When he examined the plans he found an elevator alarm system was shown as running on the same circuit as the elevator control gear itself. [Linked Image]
Posted By: George Corron Re: Sheet Metal Screw For Neutral! - 10/15/05 02:14 PM
Stuck at work on Saturday, so here is the 1999 NFPA 72

1-5.2.5.2 Connections to the light and power service SHALL be on a dedicated branch circuit(s). The circuit(s) and connections shall be mechanically protected. Circuit disconnecting means SHALL have a red marking shall be accessible only to authorized personnel, an shall be identified as FIRE ALARM CIRCUIT CONTROL. The location of the circuit disconnecting means shall be permanently identified at the fire alarm control unit.

Enjoy!!!
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Sheet Metal Screw For Neutral! - 10/15/05 05:13 PM
Nice cite, George. Anybody live where NFPA 72 has been adopted?

As for the sheet metal screw- where's the violation? Doesn't the NEC only address ground screws?

Allright, hold your horses. Hackwork is hackwork. Just pointing out the weaknesses of the code!

I think we went down a blind alley with the "sheet metal screw" provision. If nothing else, it sets the stage for a conflict with 110.14(A).
How about a general provision that connectors will be used as designed? The "sheet metal screw" issue came up, IMO, not because of the screw itself, but because the screws were being used improperly (too large of a hole, etc). Improper use will make any fastener fail.

Meanwhile, back to the pic. Just what is the screw attached to? Are we inadvertantly bonding the neutral to the case with it?
Posted By: stamcon Re: Sheet Metal Screw For Neutral! - 10/15/05 11:51 PM
It looks like the outer neutral bar was removed and the lug is attached in it's place. Are there 2 grounded conductors under one screw at the lower right of the photo?

steve
Posted By: George Corron Re: Sheet Metal Screw For Neutral! - 10/16/05 04:17 AM
Yes, I live in the State of VA, and it is referenced as the standard in the VA Fire Prevention Code. Also, All military reservations within the Military District of Washington (Now Wash. Headquarters Service actually) use 72-99 as the standard.

It is where your smoke detector placements come from as well.
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: Sheet Metal Screw For Neutral! - 10/16/05 04:22 AM
I believe the screw in the fender washer is the original screw from that hole, where the neutral bus was removed; it's not a sheet-metal screw at all.

The left end of the neutral bar behind the line lugs is shaped like the right end, so that screw is definitely in the neutral bar, and not the enclosure.
Posted By: iwire Re: Sheet Metal Screw For Neutral! - 10/16/05 07:36 AM
I believe the screw in the fender washer is the original screw from that hole, where the neutral bus was removed; it's not a sheet-metal screw at all.

You can believe that, but you would be mistaken. [Linked Image]

The original screw was gold in color, take a look at the neutral bar mounting screws that remain.

If you saw it in person you would have no doubts. [Linked Image]

Bob
Posted By: Larry Fine Re: Sheet Metal Screw For Neutral! - 10/16/05 04:30 PM
You're absolutely correct. I copied and enlarged the image; the screw heads are definitely different. My bad.
Posted By: wa2ise Re: Sheet Metal Screw For Neutral! - 10/18/05 05:26 AM
I would have violated the code by inserting each strand of that wire under its own screw on that bar next to where the fendder washer currently is.... :-)
Posted By: electure Re: Sheet Metal Screw For Neutral! - 10/18/05 06:58 AM
wa2ise,

Please explain that.
(SquareD sells lug kits for this purpose)
Posted By: pauluk Re: Sheet Metal Screw For Neutral! - 10/18/05 10:49 AM
I would have violated the code by inserting each strand of that wire under its own screw on that bar next to where the fendder washer currently is..

That's a trick I've seen done here a good few times where somebody tries to add a heavier bonding cable and it won't fit the largest available hole on the ground bar.
Posted By: John Crighton Re: Sheet Metal Screw For Neutral! - 10/18/05 05:13 PM
Not to get too far off the point, but there also appear to be two neutrals landing on one screw at the lower right. What, the installer didn't see those other empty ones?
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Sheet Metal Screw For Neutral! - 10/18/05 05:48 PM
the longer I look at this, the more I think even with the fender washer, I don't think there's a whole lot of metal to metal contact between the lug and the bracket it's fastened to...

Randy
© ECN Electrical Forums