ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Covers? We don't need no stinking covers? - 08/29/03 12:48 AM
[Linked Image]
Yes, this panel is energized and the breaker covers and panelboard cover are nowhere to be found.

- Tom
This is really scary. I've taken circuit breakers apart before just to piddle with them, but I've never seen one, in service and energized, like these guys. It looks kinda like an old Trumbull, or FPE ( [Linked Image] )
MDP. I don't understand why someone would remove the top cover of these breakers [Linked Image].

I see lots of situations where the panelboard cover is either missing or not in place. Occasionally you will also find a panel with the front cover in place, but missing the dead-front. I guess it's just too much trouble sometimes... [Linked Image]

Mike (mamills)
Posted By: Tom Re: Covers? We don't need no stinking covers? - 08/30/03 01:23 AM
This installation is late '40's or early '50's. I'm probably the 10 gazillioninth electrician to be on this site. Electrical inspection in the town this is in was non-existant until at least the mid- 90's .

Only one of the two "coverless" breakers is still in service.

Long range plans for this building include removing all existing service equipment & upgrading to a bus duct system.

i'll believe it when I see it.

Tom
I have seen the cover removed on panels like this to keep them cooler so the breakers will not trip. I have a picture of a small panel in a deli that is overloaded, and there is a big fan blowing on it to keep it cool. The deli owner says it saved him a lot of money that the electrician was going to charge to replace the panel.

Pierre
Posted By: Tom Re: Covers? We don't need no stinking covers? - 08/31/03 02:22 PM
Pierre,

What the electrician was going to charge will be nothing compared to what his lawyer will charge him to defend the lawsuit against him when someone gets hurt.

I guess some people feel that if smoke & fire isn't belching out of the equipment, it must be safe.
© ECN Electrical Forums