ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Homeowner is a Carpenter . . . - 11/08/03 04:27 AM
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
My company sent me on a service call to reattach an electric meter. They were told by the homeowner that he had installed new siding, and all that needed to be done was to screw the meter back up. Well the guy didn't say that he had installed an addition, and the whole service would have to be relocated. Notice the water in the meter? Makes you want to call it a water/electric combo meter.

- richard
Posted By: crash Re: Homeowner is a Carpenter . . . - 11/08/03 04:35 AM
Red Tag this one!!! The water in the meter might provide enough mechanical resistance to slow down the meter disk.
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Homeowner is a Carpenter . . . - 11/08/03 11:56 AM
What scares me is the kids bicycle right there. Yikes. This is all too common with siding crews. Scares the hell out of me when I see them removing a hot meter socket with a flat bar. All it takes is a long nail or screw to land the right way in there and kaboom!
Posted By: walrus Re: Homeowner is a Carpenter . . . - 11/08/03 12:57 PM
Thats a great pic, water in the meter [Linked Image]. The stupidity of people never ceases to amaze me.
Posted By: Bjarney Re: Homeowner is a Carpenter . . . - 11/08/03 08:52 PM
The built-in “disk level” checker is great. Let's see those solid-state meter designers top that!

[Linked Image from 6l6.net]

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 11-08-2003).]
Posted By: ThinkGood Re: Homeowner is a Carpenter . . . - 11/09/03 02:15 AM
At what water level would the meter short out?
Posted By: sparky Re: Homeowner is a Carpenter . . . - 11/09/03 10:42 AM
lovely Richard [Linked Image], gotta vote this one the a 9.5 on the rectal pucker scale, i guess the only way to achieve a full 10 would be to roll up and see the kids using it for monkey bars?? [Linked Image]
Wish I could have said that now I have seen it all .. but I know that would be fiction. Off the top I would have to say that our homeowner must have been into the utility company's service wires somewhere along the line when the addition was created. Do they allow compression fittings on utility portions of the services? I am only familiar with threaded in our area. ERFERTT
Posted By: iwire Re: Homeowner is a Carpenter . . . - 11/09/03 09:00 PM
codeenforcementguy

Yes compression fittings are allowed by the NEC, although you may have local amendments that say otherwise.

I am surprised not to see the water boiling, as any time I have seen live equipment submerged it was boiling.
Posted By: Hazmat Re: Homeowner is a Carpenter . . . - 11/13/03 08:00 PM
Just a thought...assuming that is rainwater, it would be mineral free (relatively) or "deionized", so might not carry current...wouldn't wanna test that theory, though.
Posted By: jdevlin Re: Homeowner is a Carpenter . . . - 11/14/03 12:11 AM
In the top picture it appears the meter is leaning forward about 45 degrees. The water is probably not back to the power connection.
Posted By: crash Re: Homeowner is a Carpenter . . . - 11/14/03 01:46 AM
Hazemat: All water conducts electricity, even pure water. The conductivity of water is caused by ions that are present in the water. Pure water has a ph of 7 which means that it has an H+ ion concentration of 1x10exp-7. It will conduct electricity. Rain water has a PH of approx 5, which means it has an H+ ion concentration of 1x10exp-5. This is one hundred times higher than pure water. Thus it will conduct electricity that much better than pure water. The difference in PH is caused by the rain drop absorbing CO2 as it fallls through the air and this causes the rainwater to turn into a week form of carbonic acid. In addition, other contaminents are present in rain water, each rain drop is formed around a dust particle which will have other ions on it. In addition to this as the rain water enters the meter base, it will absorb iron from the corroding portions of the meter base, this will be indicated by the water not being clear in color. Iron oxides contain ions, and ths increase condutivity

Incidentaly are service enterance conductors allowed to be laid directally on roofing shingles
Posted By: wa2ise Re: Homeowner is a Carpenter . . . - 11/14/03 06:35 AM
I can imagine the POCO being unhappy with one of their meters getting ruined with the water in it. maybe not, the linemen may just swap it out and toss the bad one in the back of their truck, and someone at a maintenance shop throws it out rather than bother with it. What do meters like that cost, remembering that a POCO buys huge quantities?

Incidentaly are service enterance conductors allowed to be laid directally on roofing shingles
I wouldn't want it on the shingles, if there ever were a short circuit the wires would get hot and ignite the asphalt shingles. Actually, I like what my father had done when he built the house; underground lines to the meter on the basement wall, then immediately to a pair of big fuses in the "service equipment". No cable running down the side of the house getting hot if a short happens.
© ECN Electrical Forums