ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Pool + Shower Locations - 01/29/04 02:32 AM
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
i have here two 'occupied' unfinished places, one is a pool with bathing suits hung off xmas lights, the other a shower in use w/o the glass door & wall.

these were taken the same day, different jobs

~Steve aka sparky
Posted By: pauluk Re: Pool + Shower Locations - 01/29/04 09:24 AM
That switch/receptacle box seems rather close to the shower area for my liking, even if it is a GFI outlet.

The temporary light spliced into the fixture box (last pic, upper right) is a nice touch!
Posted By: sparky Re: Pool + Shower Locations - 01/29/04 11:42 AM
the sw/gfi location is to have a glass wall, the 3' rule will be met when it is installed.

my state (Vermont) does not have , for single family dwellings, occupancy permits.

so people tend to live with pigtails, or as situations seen here for indefinite periods of time...

where i stand as an EC here is worrisome,to energize or not energize is often the Q

~S~
Posted By: strangedog Re: Pool + Shower Locations - 01/29/04 05:05 PM
Even if the GFCI trips the wires in the open box are still hot (the line side). Don't reach for that switch from the shower or it will be the last thing you do! [Linked Image]

SD
Posted By: rmiell Re: Pool + Shower Locations - 01/29/04 06:14 PM
What 3' rule? There is no such rule for receptacles. See Section 406.8(C). Inside the space, sure, but where does the space end? 3' out? I don't think so. The bathtub and shower space stops at the end of the bathtub (or shower floor).

Rick Miell
Posted By: sparky Re: Pool + Shower Locations - 01/29/04 10:54 PM
Thank you Rick
i have obviously confused 550.13(F)here with a normal residency
Posted By: e57 Re: Pool + Shower Locations - 02/25/04 07:01 AM
There used to be what was refered to as the "3' rule" for outlets near sinks and the like, to be GFI'ed. It may have been re-worded, or moved in the Code. It was pretty early in the GFI requirements. I'm sure that was what Sparky was refering to, as it read very simular to that other code in motor homes.

Now get this, where I'M at... ( S.F. CA - That's right, we publish our own Code Book here, welcome to the City. And all ten Inspectors interpit it differently. ) You can get hit by the AHJ for for "within reach of the tub", to be GFI'ed. This goes for line side of a switch, sconces or fixtures below 8', and of course, outlets. ( You'll only get hit on it if it's really obvious. ) After dealing with some "San Fiasco's", you get frustrated. So, I go through this everytime I do a switch, or light near a tub. I say to myself, " F%#*, GFI the WHOLE Bathroom. At the Breakers!"

Here's another good example of a "San Fiasco":

120/240 volt 3-phase delta circuits - “A” phase black, “B” (high leg) phase PURPLE, “C” phase red;

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 02-25-2004).]
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Pool + Shower Locations - 02/25/04 10:19 PM
Who cuts the cover plate for the switch/ receptacle?
© ECN Electrical Forums