ECN Forum
Posted By: Roger Electric Shower - 07/09/04 04:52 PM
Sent in from David Souther; Head Electrical Inspector for the City of Asheville Building Safety Department. It was sent to David from another agency.

This was found in a home of an ederly woman on oxygen.

[Linked Image]

Roger
Posted By: pwood Re: Electric Shower - 07/09/04 06:27 PM
is that shower listed and approved for an electrical location?
Posted By: pauluk Re: Electric Shower - 07/09/04 07:18 PM
Yikes! [Linked Image]

I know I've argued against the British IEE's stance about no receptacles anywhere in a bathroom, but this is taking it a little too far!

Was there some sort of hinged cover over that right=hand unit at some point? Or is the open door on the left wide enough that it went over the whole lot?
Posted By: Roger Re: Electric Shower - 07/09/04 07:53 PM
Pwood, LOL

Paul,
I know I've argued against the British IEE's stance about no receptacles anywhere in a bathroom, but this is taking it a little too far!

yep. [Linked Image]

Roger
Posted By: electure Re: Electric Shower - 07/09/04 09:29 PM
If I recognize the cans correctly, those are FPE, which means they've been there a long time.

Very sad, whoever is responsible should be prosecuted...somehow...S
Posted By: uksparky Re: Electric Shower - 07/09/04 09:54 PM
JAYSUS!! [Linked Image] They say the camera never lies...

This was found in a home of an ederly woman on oxygen.

Oxygen...? Or ozone? [Linked Image]
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Electric Shower - 07/10/04 01:54 AM
The open splice up there adds a nice touch also... [Linked Image] Something tells me the shower may not have always been in this location. Possibly a back porch turned into a bathroom? Someone failed to use their brain & realize that the panels might not be in an ideal place anymore! [Linked Image]

-Randy
Posted By: Ryan_J Re: Electric Shower - 07/10/04 03:27 AM
If there is no sink in this room there is no violation, other than it being too high and not having working clearance!

Sorry, I shouldn't downplay the issue, this really is tragic. Statistics waiting to happen.
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Electric Shower - 07/10/04 07:02 AM
Ryan,

If this is a bathtub/shower, 110.26(A)(1) Unless you're standing on the side of the tub to get to these things [Linked Image]

-Randy
Posted By: SolarPowered Re: Electric Shower - 07/11/04 08:05 AM
Weird... As soon as I saw the picture, I could smell the mildew...
Posted By: Sir Arcsalot Re: Electric Shower - 07/11/04 07:49 PM
All one needs to do here to make a wet sauna is to put those Lincoln Fuse Protectors in that fusebox on the far left!!!!!

Man, oh, man! I wonder just HOW old the original service is... And if it was legal to begin with (maybe many, many, many, many, many years ago!!!!) Sorry folks, no grandfathering here!
Posted By: Dawg Re: Electric Shower - 10/30/06 06:05 PM
Randy I was thinking the same thing....that the shower at one time wasn't there....who in their right mind installs a fuse box in a shower? Geez....
Posted By: renosteinke Re: Electric Shower - 10/31/06 01:55 AM
What everyone needs..."clean" power, and "hot" water [Linked Image]
Posted By: Tesla Re: Electric Shower - 10/31/06 04:33 AM
I can beat that shower...

Sorry no pictures....

Imagine a homeowner 'improvement'....

A shower adjacent to the garage level...

With open conductors within 12" of one's head running on ceramic knobs...

Yeah, they're hot....

Yikes.
Posted By: packrat56 Re: Electric Shower - 09/10/08 09:43 PM
That's just down right scary, I wonder what came first, the shower or the electrical boxes. Makes me cringe in fear just looking at it
Posted By: mamills Re: Electric Shower - 09/15/08 11:30 PM
It's curious that both of those little FPE panels are installed upside down. I'm assuming that the electric was there first, and someone cobbled in a bathroom after. In any event, it's a very bad mix.

Betcha' those plug fuses are all 30's...

Mike (mamills)
© ECN Electrical Forums