ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Burnt CH panel phase, among other things.... - 07/19/04 02:56 AM
got a call to no power to an A/C unit... Beings this was the only 240V load they had, it was all the homeowner missed! (evidentally, the 120V loads on this phase are not used much?) anyways, walked past the panel & caught a whiff of that of so familiar smell.... At first I thought the smell was coming from the porchlight-gone-outlet which had 2 refrigerators plugged in it! [Linked Image]

- Randy
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Your #5 photo, the first of the second three, showing the light fixture mod, is priceless.

Another candidate for the Darwin Awards must be nearby.
Randy: That main breaker isn't factory-installed, is it? It looks like an old "Multi-breaker"-style unit that someone cobbled in there.

Kinda curious as to what happened here. It looks like a main conductor burned in two. It also looks like breakers have been moved around in order to compensate for a buss which has been dead for some time. [Linked Image]

Mike (mamills)
Early type CH panels used that style of main breaker, my guess that panel could be 45 years old.(1958-1959 era homes were the last to use the XO panels at least around here.)
hey whats your guys opinions of those CH panels, my mom is looking at buying a house and it has one from the 60's or 70's, it looks in pretty good shape. also when did they use black NM, ive never seen it before until earlier today

Rob
Mike,
The main in here is original CH equiptment.. I've replaced these panels a few times before due to BBQ'd main breakers (Both this style & the style with the long breaker that backfeeds into the bus)
Norcal,
Youre close! 1957....
Rob,
I'm personally not too crazy about these CH panels... I've replaced quite a few, always due to the main breaker, or something closely associated to it (like the lugs) burning up bigtime! One instance the wires between the meter & the main burned a hole in the can! (Customer said the Poco xfmr on the pole in the backyard was putting smoke off during this also!)

There are also people who like these as well.. & there are some good points (Copper bus for one) & I have yet to see one of these newer than 30 years old.. So I can't comment if there's a newer design either...

-Randy
I've always heard that QO had the best reputation. My experience has been that the most profitable brand (whether because of price, availability, etc.) is the best one for that job.
I think:
The panel depicted above is some kind of "hybrid".

What we're looking at is an XO panel from 1957 that has had its guts replaced. They kept the original XO main breaker, and put in a type CH interior at a later date.

The type CH breaker did not even come on to the market until 1972 or 1973.

If Randy's run across lots of these, it must have been a pretty popular retrofit.

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 08-28-2006).]
The type "CH" came on the market in the late 1950s, replaceing the XO type.
DetroiterRob,

We live in a house built in 1970 or so. It is wired with aluminum branch circuits. The finished basement (probably finished sometime shortly after the house was built) has (or had, we just had it remodeled) some black NM cable. That at least gives a timeframe of when black NM was probably available.

The two circuits wired with the black NM, if they were added (as opposed to part of new construction), were probably added by the first occupant of the house. They power the garage lights and the basement bathroom.
© ECN Electrical Forums