ECN Forum
Posted By: Admin Swim at your own Risk! - 07/09/04 02:03 AM
Rewiring a kitchen at this house and the homeowner wants to know why the gfi breaker for the pool keeps tripping.
Picture one shows the receptacle for the pump.
[Linked Image]
Picture two shows the pump. Notice no bond connected to the bonding lug.
[Linked Image]
Picture three is the cord cap for the pump, ground pin removed.
[Linked Image]
Picture four shows the solution. Plug into this cord and find a non gfci receptacle.
[Linked Image]
Picture five is a look at the laundry room wiring. Over all the place is a mess except of course the new wiring in the kitchen!

Scott (aka Electricmanscott)
[Linked Image]
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Swim at your own Risk! - 07/09/04 04:30 AM
Picture three is the cord cap for the pump, ground pin removed.

Looks like ½ the hot blade is removed (burned?) also! [Linked Image]

Does the HO care to solve the issues here? or just another "as long as it works...."

-Randy
Posted By: ShOcKeR Re: Swim at your own Risk! - 07/09/04 06:29 AM
i see the outlet is intalled ground down. Can anyone give an arguement on why it SHOULD be ground down? [Linked Image]
Posted By: iwire Re: Swim at your own Risk! - 07/09/04 10:06 AM
Can anyone give an arguement on why it SHOULD be ground down?

Lets not go down that road, the NEC allows ground up or down so each of us can install them how we like them.

Given these pictures there are much more important things to address than the ground up or down.

Bob
Posted By: pauluk Re: Swim at your own Risk! - 07/09/04 01:31 PM
There's some bad stuff there to be sure.

Looking at that pic of the plug there also doesn't appear to be the usual hole at the end of the neutral blade. Could it be an Japanese cord set or something like that? I thought that all NEMA-approved fittings had the holes on 15 and 20A devices.
Posted By: uksparky Re: Swim at your own Risk! - 07/09/04 10:00 PM
Ye Gods...

It never fails to amaze me [Linked Image] - imagine some poor kid just wanting to cool off one afternoon...
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Swim at your own Risk! - 07/09/04 10:31 PM
Homeowner really didn't seem to care. Did not ask me to fix it. I told him i would not swim there. [Linked Image]
Posted By: ShOcKeR Re: Swim at your own Risk! - 07/15/04 08:08 PM
Well, to go down that road further. No disrespect Bob but i have a very good reason to ask this question. Imagine what would happen if your son/daughter of young age crawls over to a plug that is partially hanging out (nothing abnormal about this right) and, Oh say... drops a penny ir other small object between the prongs, would ya say different then?
its a little hard to do that ground up. And this is a chatroom right? Or should we only talk about things we all agree on?
If so let me know and ill shut up? Thx, Tim
Posted By: iwire Re: Swim at your own Risk! - 07/15/04 08:24 PM
Tim you do not have to shut up, why not start a new thread on the subject of the ground up or ground down? [Linked Image]

Bob
Posted By: Electricmanscott Re: Swim at your own Risk! - 07/15/04 09:52 PM
The orientation of the receptacle is the least of the problems here.
You have no bonding, no equipment grounding, emt feeding underground, improper cord installation, receptacle to close to the pool, gfci tripping, proably more that I am not thinking of right now.
Posted By: NORCAL Re: Swim at your own Risk! - 07/15/04 11:02 PM
Ground prong up/down,religion,and politics you can not win with those subjects.

I forgot one more, the Middle east.
Posted By: ShOcKeR Re: Swim at your own Risk! - 07/25/04 05:55 PM
thx Bob i appreciate the advice maybe i will one day ... when i find out how.
ill be contacting ya on how i can do that
but yah these are nasty installs
and there were better areas for me to bring up the subject
[Linked Image] Tim
Posted By: SvenNYC Re: Swim at your own Risk! - 07/27/04 02:28 PM
Looking at that pic of the plug there also doesn't appear to be the usual hole at the end of the neutral blade. Could it be an Japanese cord set or something like that? I thought that all NEMA-approved fittings had the holes on 15 and 20A devices.

Hi Paul,

No, that's an after-market replacement plug.

GE-brand to be exact, made in China.

I call them "Walmart specials" because that's where they're commonly found. They're overpriced and the pins are flimsy and bend easily.
Posted By: electure Re: Swim at your own Risk! - 07/28/04 12:22 AM
Sven,
You sure that that's not the original molded plug that came on the pump, with the ground ripped out and half of the hot pin burned off? (the black one, not the yellow connector body)
Posted By: Lostazhell Re: Swim at your own Risk! - 07/28/04 03:16 AM
Scott,
I'll back up Sven on this, I have one of those square-ish GE plugs around here someplace from quite a while ago... (If I remember right, I bought it for a late night repair from a grocery store) The U-ground pin broke off pretty easily simply from trying to pull the plug out of a paint-caked outlet! [Linked Image]
Look where the person's thumb is, there's one of the screws holding the clamshell body together.

-Randy
© ECN Electrical Forums